GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the battery located. The Manual is basicly silent on the topic and while it is easy to find the POS nad NEG posts to use if jump starting, the battery itself has been obscure so far. I could not find it under the mat that covers the spare tire but it must be near there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If your too lazy to search it is under the ECM in the engine compartment on the drivers side. It the black plastic thing beside the relay/fuse box. you have to remove the ECM to access the battery.

Oh and if you are curious how to remove it there is a 10mm bolt located under the 3 cables and then slide the ECM toward the drivers fender and it should just lift out of place. Thanks to Dandy Don for this info from the other thread haha

·
Registered
749 Posts
There's also another one underneath the rear cargo compartment. But I don't think that's the one you're looking for...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Phantm006 said:
There's also another one underneath the rear cargo compartment. But I don't think that's the one you're looking for...
My salesman told me that is some relay junction in the rear cargo department. He had another term for that. I looke d and it dosen't look like a battery. I'd rather have it in the trunk than the way it is buried in the engine compartment

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Phantm006 said:
There is only one battery on these platforms and that's positioned in the front, under the ECM, under the hood.

I believe the item that RNOX is referring to; is the Lift Gate Module.[/color]

·
Registered
749 Posts
OnxBear said:
There is only one battery on these platforms and that's positioned in the front, under the ECM, under the hood.

I believe the item that RNOX is referring to; is the Lift Gate Module.[/color]
Oh. Well. My mistake. Looked like a battery.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Phantm006 said:
Oh. Well. My mistake. Looked like a battery.
When I was looking at the nox I thought it was the battery ;). Upon closer inspection saw it wasn't. The current location is a joke. Why bury it with electronocs.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The only car I've ever owned that the battery was NOT in the engine compartment was a VW Beatle...it was under the back seat......oh, almost forgot .......my Vettes .......it was behind the drivers seat. ;D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RNOX said:
When I was looking at the nox I thought it was the battery ;). Upon closer inspection saw it wasn't. The current location is a joke. Why bury it with electronocs.
Not sure why, but I kinda like it, I'd rather have it covered, looks cleaner under the hood to me anyway. IMO.
GM went with remote positive and negative posts for boosting/charging if need be, so its convenient. I guess the only time is for replacement, but that doesn't happen everyday either. Only one bolt and the entire ECM and mount comes off.[/color]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ii had a battery leak on my 2000 Saturn LS1 and it rotted some cables. I prefer not to have anything on top of a battery that contains acid.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RNOX said:
I prefer not to have anything on top of a battery that contains acid.
There isn't anything on top of this battery that contains acid???[/color]

·
Registered
977 Posts
OnxBear said:
There isn't anything on top of this battery that contains acid???[/color]
The battery has acid in it. Acid can leak out of a battery and ruin parts. As I noted it happened on my 2000 Saturn. AC/Delco batteries have been known to leakk acid. Ii know that parts on top of a battery don't have acid.

·
Registered
297 Posts
GARYD said:
The only car I've ever owned that the battery was NOT in the engine compartment was a VW Beatle...it was under the back seat......oh, almost forgot .......my Vettes .......it was behind the drivers seat. ;D
I believe the battery is behind the driver's seat in the Traverse. We were called to a (PI) personal injury accident about a month ago and had to disable the battery in both vehicles. I remember reading on www.traverseforum.com about the battery being in an odd location.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
TheCrow1994 said:
I believe the battery is behind the driver's seat in the Traverse. We were called to a (PI) personal injury accident about a month ago and had to disable the battery in both vehicles. I remember reading on www.traverseforum.com about the battery being in an odd location.
No kidding, models of the Cobalt family SS have the battery in the rear of the trunk, LH side I believe.[/color]

Reactions: TARDIS B

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
GARYD said:
Mercedes has battery in trunk under matt at least the diesel model

·
Registered
483 Posts
TheCrow1994 said:
The Traverse battery is behind the passenger seat under the floormat.

As for the location of the Terrain and Equinox battery. It is a little odd but on my C5 Corvette the battery is located directly over the cars computer. There was a big problem with factory Delco batteries at the time where the machine that torqued the bolts applied too much torque and cracked the case where the bolts go through the case and over time the crack worsened and the battery leaked.

If not caught in time, and most weren't, the acid made it's way into the computer and caused all sorts of weird issues including complete failure of the computer. Eventually the problem was fixed at the factory but not before a lot of people had big time problems.

Now I can understand that with the limited space in engine compartments that you have to make do with the space you have but I never understood the logic of putting the battery over the computer. At least on the Nox and Terrain the battery is under the computer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I never understood why they put the computer in the engine compartment, not a friendly environment for it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
It would appear to me that the battery is located under the ABS under the hood.doesn't appear to be a ECM under it..
Wouln't seem as tho they would put a ECM under the hood...unless it was up more on the firewall

·
Registered
4 Posts
sandyw404 said:
Where is the battery located. The Manual is basicly silent on the topic and while it is easy to find the POS nad NEG posts to use if jump starting, the battery itself has been obscure so far. I could not find it under the mat that covers the spare tire but it must be near there.
Here's an link to an excellent video showing the removal and replacement of the Terrain battery: http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2010_GMC_Terrain_SLT_3.0L_V6/battery/replace_battery

1 - 20 of 21 Posts