GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 SRX Premium / 25,000 miles

Vehicle is 4 years + old and will likely need a battery in the near future. Is there a preferred brand that SRX owners use?

Thanks,

SUP

·
Registered
540 Posts
Do not buy an AC DELCO replacement, they are garbage. Go for an Interstate or a NAPA legend.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most recent batteries I purchased was at Walmart...there are only a couple battery manufactures left here in the states and based on my experience and information I have read battery life has been greatly compromised in the recent years. Something to do with lead reclamation in the USA. I used to get 5+ years routinely out of my lawn mower and motorcycle batteries. I barely make 3 years now and I always carry a starter jump pack with me when I'm out on my Harley. The batteries just up and die without warning where before they used to give some slow cranking or other warnings before they chit the bed.

Before I purchase any replacement I always verify the battery build date. I refuse to pay for a new battery that is anymore than couple months old. I will not purchase a battery that has been sitting on a shelf for a year, let them sell those as used or to someone else.

HTH's

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do not buy an AC DELCO replacement, they are garbage. Go for an Interstate or a NAPA legend.
Are you saying that the replacement AC Delco's are not the same quality as the OEM batteries installed originally? Is it that the quality/reliability has changed/deteriorated?

I ask because I had two Sonic's for seven years with the original Delco batteries, and still appeared functional when I traded the vehicles.

I also have a 2009 Silverado that just turned ten years old this month; its OEM Delco battery is working fine, even with the extreme winter weather we have experienced lately.

Regarding the Interstate battery: My work van, a E350 Ford, is on its second Interstate replacement battery, and it is a 2011.

It's probably difficult to find a battery at any cost or any brand that is made to the standards of previous years. Now with the stop/start systems, a AGM battery is required.

Battery replacement/selection rates right up there with what engine oil and filters to use as a forum "hot topic." :plain:

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
958 Posts
Cfrankme69---I had never considered asking about the battery manufacture date. Very good point. Thanks.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Now with the stop/start systems, a AGM battery is required.
My 2018 'Nox Premier has stop/start system, but the battery is NOT AGM. It's a regular lead plate/acid battery---and has just a single battery. Also--unfortunately--I just had the battery replaced under warranty. It was showing a high resistance to the OnStar Diagnostic system, resulting in numerous advisory messages from OnStar that dealer service was required.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Another tip I recommend prior to installing the new battery, I will charge it on the bench at the recommended rate until fully charged. Then I load test the battery with a handheld tester to verify that it will withstand a load; I do this two test cycles. After it cools and stabilizes, I charge it again until fully charged, then I install it.

The load test is optional, but the initial charging until fully charged is beneficial, not only to the new battery, but to the vehicle's charging system.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
505 Posts
My 2018 'Nox Premier has stop/start system, but the battery is NOT AGM. It's a regular lead plate/acid battery---and has just a single battery. Also--unfortunately--I just had the battery replaced under warranty. It was showing a high resistance to the OnStar Diagnostic system, resulting in numerous advisory messages from OnStar that dealer service was required.
This is interesting, as I'm sure my 2019 Equinox LT has a AGM. The label on the top says; 48AGM - 700cca - 70ah, and what I can read that isn't covered by a bracket says catalog no. 378.

Also I believe the owners manual specifies a AGM also; I'll have to re-read this.

Maybe the battery problems that you have experienced are the result of the incorrect battery application.

What does the label on your battery state?

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php
Above is a link from AC Delco. Both the 2018/2019 Equinox 1.5 and 2.0 engines use the same AGM battery.

·
Registered
505 Posts
2014 SRX Premium / 25,000 miles

Vehicle is 4 years + old and will likely need a battery in the near future. Is there a preferred brand that SRX owners use?

Thanks,

SUP
You might want to research replacing the battery on this car. I've read that you should attach a memory saver prior to disconnecting the battery or numerous computer issues occur and settings will need to be reset.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Are you saying that the replacement AC Delco's are not the same quality as the OEM batteries installed originally? Is it that the quality/reliability has changed/deteriorated?

I ask because I had two Sonic's for seven years with the original Delco batteries, and still appeared functional when I traded the vehicles.

I also have a 2009 Silverado that just turned ten years old this month; its OEM Delco battery is working fine, even with the extreme winter weather we have experienced lately.

Regarding the Interstate battery: My work van, a E350 Ford, is on its second Interstate replacement battery, and it is a 2011.

It's probably difficult to find a battery at any cost or any brand that is made to the standards of previous years. Now with the stop/start systems, a AGM battery is required.

Battery replacement/selection rates right up there with what engine oil and filters to use as a forum "hot topic." :plain:

They must be of a different quality, because I agree the OEM batteries last forever, my mom's 2011 HHR still had the original battery when she traded it last year with 110k on it. But i had two Delco replacements fail within a year and they do not prorate their battery returns.

·
Registered
268 Posts
AC Delco was our main battery supplier up to about 5 years ago.

Warranties suddenly changed from 2 year free replacement/5 year prorated to 18 months free replacement on the consumer line.

And shortly after that, we started to see failure rates skyrocket to the point where we changed our main battery supplier.

Delco isn't the only one with issues though. This winter, I've lost count of how many 2015/2016 model year vehicles that came in with bad batteries.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah I found this out after I bought my AC Delco Advantage battery. It seems that it only has a 18 month warranty, but I bought mine at menards and they offer a 3 year free replacement through them. I got the battery on sale for $80 so I got a pretty screaming deal. However I am probably moving soon where there is not a menards. So if the battery dies I am screwed.

From the handful of reviews I could find, the advantage series is not well rated and liked. Hopefully I get lucky with this one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You might want to research replacing the battery on this car. I've read that you should attach a memory saver prior to disconnecting the battery or numerous computer issues occur and settings will need to be reset.

My Ford truck is like that. Let's just say I had a few choice words to say when I learned this the hard way. I went to pass emissions test and they couldn't read the codes....due to me replacing battery. Had to pay to have codes put back in correctly, omg I was angry.
This was 15 yrs ago. Please tell me these new cars aren't still doing this???

·
Registered
909 Posts
My original Delco battery didn't make it 2 years on my 2015 Equinox. I went with a Duracell brand battery from Sams Club and it has a 3 year free replacement. Been in for 2 years now and haven't had any problems!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do You Use a Battery Tender on Your M/C Battery & Lawn Mower??? I Used to Be Deployed to Middle East For (6) Months @ a Time. Would Come Back & Battery Would Be Bad. Went Thru (2) Different Batteries. Got a "New" Battery & Bought a Battery Tender @ Auto Parts Store. Battery Been Doing Great For (2) Years Now. Starts 1st Time Even (if) Hasn't Been Started All Year. Well Worth the Money Spent. Good Luck!! Alternator Putting Out Good Voltage???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still not sure of what battery I will get but it seems that AC Delco is the battery most have purchased with some not lasting very long (not sure any battery last like they used to.

I will get one of the plug in 9 volt battery units that keep all your electronics in place while you change battery. Good recommendation!

I also like the recomendation to do a battery date check prior to purchase. No sense getting a battery that has been sitting around a while.

I do use a battery tender but the SRX is usually driven at least twice during the week so probably do not need the tender here in Houston area.

What about Sears Diehard? These use to be good batteries (many years back).

SUP

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just checked our 2018 Equinoxs and found that both the 1.5 Premier and the 1.6 diesel have OEM glass mat batteries. I didn't take the hold down bracket off but did see the 48 AGM designation.

I have an Optima AGM 6v battery in one of my old cars that sits for months, yet will start the car any time I try it.
Regarding OEM Delco; I have a 2001 2500HD Diesel that uses two batteries. The OEM Delcos only lasted for 3 years. I replaced them with Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries and they're still cranking. I don't use the truck much so I keep a maintainer on it. I do the same with my 10K generator, also using an Everstart battery, and find the batteries last a lot longer if they have to sit for long periods.
Howard

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just checked our 2018 Equinoxs and found that both the 1.5 Premier and the 1.6 diesel have OEM glass mat batteries. I didn't take the hold down bracket off but did see the 48 AGM designation.

I have an Optima AGM 6v battery in one of my old cars that sits for months, yet will start the car any time I try it.
Regarding OEM Delco; I have a 2001 2500HD Diesel that uses two batteries. The OEM Delcos only lasted for 3 years. I replaced them with Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries and they're still cranking. I don't use the truck much so I keep a maintainer on it. I do the same with my 10K generator, also using an Everstart battery, and find the batteries last a lot longer if they have to sit for long periods.
Howard
Thanks. I was going by what the service tech advised when they changed. I'll take a look at the battery tomorrow and see what it is.

·
Registered
671 Posts
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2018/Chevrolet/Equinox/2018-chevrolet-equinox-owners-manual.pdf

For the 2018/19

Page 303 of the manual...OEM battery is supposed to be AGM on all engine models.

Quote :

The vehicle has an Absorbing GlassMat (AGM) 12-volt battery.Installation of a standard 12-volt battery will result in reduced 12-volt battery life. When using a 12-volt battery charger on the 12-volt AGM battery, some chargers have an AGM battery setting on the charger. If available, use the AGM setting on the charger, to limit charge voltage to 14.8 volts.

===
Using a AGM battery in a car supposed to be equipped with standard is going to cause it to last less long and vice versa is true too.

AGM batteries will vent out elecrolyte when the voltage goes above 14.8V it seems.

Standard batteries will last long if it is used in situation that keep the charge between 100% to 50%. Deep discharge and not fully recharging shortens its life expectancy.

Contemporary cars with all the monitoring system even when the car is not used will be draining the batteries below the 50% regularly i am sure.

·
Registered
958 Posts
HCO41 and all others---I apologize for being an idiot and assuming the type of battery. I raised the 'Nox hood this morning and discovered--as HCO41 stated--that I have a 48AGM battery sitting there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts