GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘15 V6 Nox w/149K miles has a bad front right strut mount. It’s rattling like crazy over rough pavement. Had same issue with my Saturn Vue and just opted to replace the mounts, so been there, done that. I’m thinking this time, instead of just replacing the mount, which entails disassembly of the whole strut assembly, to just go ahead and replace the whole assembly and get new springs & struts while I’m at it. It’s only like another $100 per side.
My question has to do with your thoughts on the correct assembly for my application. My Nox originally came with 17” wheels, which I promptly sold and put on 20” Camaro SS rims before the car even hit its first 100 miles. In strut assembly shopping, I see there’s one for cars fitted with the 19” rims from the factory and FE2 suspension, and then the standard assembly that came with the 17” & 18” rims. I don’t plan to change out my rear shocks at this time. So with that info, would you go with the standard strut assembly like the car came with, or go ahead and put on the assembly for the 19” rims since I run 20” rims?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
My 2014 came from the factory with 18 inch wheels and FE2 suspension.
This gives you a stiffer strut assembly in the front suspension.
Check your RPO code on the sticker in the glovebox for (FE2) to see if yours has it to.

I would put the original struts from factory FE2 suspension back on when you replace them.
It keeps the Nox well planted on the road and turns.
I notice it on long sweeping curves like merging on an interstate on ramp.
Seems to help with torque steer, you won't notice it unless your foot is REALLY in it.

Be careful mixing suspension components from factory 19 inch wheels.
The struts are different, as you say, but so is the steering rack and pinion.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Agree with @rednox301 . .. . but since you do have the 3.6L V6 FE2 should be ok. The 2015 Equinox LTZ came with the dual flow front strut/shocks which are stiffer and I believe spring rate may be different.
I do seem to recall some have replaced the struts with the 2015 LTZ components and all was well. But can't find this info since the forum software has changed and finding past info is more difficult.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I think all V6’s have the FE2 suspension, right? Also, I just looked at rear shocks & springs and don’t see any options for 19” wheels like the front, so I’m guessing rear springs & shocks are the same no matter which wheels came from the factory on the V6 models.

…the stock set-up has gotten me this far with really no issues, so just going with what it came with may be the best, and actually cheaper, option…

I would think the V6 changes the front spring rates slightly from the factory, but the Monroe website doesn’t even ask which engine when looking up the whole strut assembly replacement… 🤔

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Thanks guys! I think all V6’s have the FE2 suspension, right?
Not 100% sure, the sticker in your glovebox will tell you for sure.
If FE2 is not on the sticker, you will probably find FE1 which is " Suspension System - Soft Ride".
Which do you have??

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not 100% sure, the sticker in your glovebox will tell you for sure.
If FE2 is not on the sticker, you will probably find FE1 which is " Suspension System - Soft Ride".
Which do you have??
…well that was easy to put to rest…my V6 has FE1 code in my glovebox…

…it does make me wonder why the FE2 is stiffer with 19” wheels…with less sidewall and stiffer springs, that’s got to be a noticeably harsher ride…

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,395 Posts
My ‘15 V6 Nox w/149K miles has a bad front right strut mount. It’s rattling like crazy over rough pavement. Had same issue with my Saturn Vue and just opted to replace the mounts, so been there, done that. I’m thinking this time, instead of just replacing the mount, which entails disassembly of the whole strut assembly, to just go ahead and replace the whole assembly and get new springs & struts while I’m at it. It’s only like another $100 per side.
Are you replacing with OEM Dealer parts? I'm looking on gmpartsdirect.com and it looks like $600-$700 if you add up all the individual pieces! Yikes!

Monroe "Quick-Strut" looks like $500 for the pair?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you replacing with OEM Dealer parts? I'm looking on gmpartsdirect.com and it looks like $600-$700 if you add up all the individual pieces! Yikes!

Monroe "Quick-Strut" looks like $500 for the pair?
Yikes indeed! Rockauto has the Monroe “Quick-Strut” for around $150 per side. Just the mounts are around $50 per side there…

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
…well that was easy to put to rest…my V6 has FE1 code in my glovebox…

…it does make me wonder why the FE2 is stiffer with 19” wheels…with less sidewall and stiffer springs, that’s got to be a noticeably harsher ride…
The 2015 Equinox LTZ V6 came with P235/55R18 tires and the FE2 suspension, but not 19".
Unsure if the Monroe replacements you are looking at are really dual flow damperd for the struts like the OEM FE2 is on 2015 LTZ V6 models.

And, yes, the ride is firmer and more sporty with the FE2. . . I can attest to that. Cornering does not lean much even if driving "spirited" as they say. :D

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,395 Posts
Yikes indeed! Rockauto has the Monroe “Quick-Strut” for around $150 per side. Just the mounts are around $50 per side there…
Silly me .... forgot to check RockAuto (where I typically buy my parts if Advance's price is too high). The price gap can close pretty fast sometimes when you take 20% off the Advance price, then add in the RockAuto shipping on the other end.

Ugh! Just tried the 20% off on Advance's website and it's not working? Found a 15% coupon that worked, so it's RockAuto $172 versus Advance $227 (delivered). $50 difference in price!

====
What about KYB Strut-Plus (SR4197-Right, SR4198-Left)? TireRack.com has them for $179/each w/free shipping, and then a $50 rebate

Font Gas Rectangle Parallel Metal

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property
5% off RockAuto coupons are readily available online, and I’ve got a credit card that also gives me a 5% rebate with PayPal purchases, so I’m thinking I’ll go with one of these 2 options. Oddly, shipping for the Monroe set is only $11.99, but the KYB set shipping is $26.99. They’re close enough in price, I’ll probably go with the Monroe’s unless I find better reviews of the KYB’s…I haven’t looked yet…

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Whenever I do struts or shocks it's always KYB over Monroe. I've seen too many reports of Monroe's not going the distance vs seeing bad stuff on KYB. Most complaints I've seen on KYB is that they are too firm, but how can one gauge that after replacing worn out stuff.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whenever I do struts or shocks it's always KYB over Monroe. I've seen too many reports of Monroe's not going the distance vs seeing bad stuff on KYB. Most complaints I've seen on KYB is that they are too firm, but how can one gauge that after replacing worn out stuff.
That’s good to know!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I concur with KYB. Monroe does not seem to be what it once was. At least, over all.
Sway bar links from Monroe seem ok the last time I bought some a few years back.

Reactions: BandDirector

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just ordered a pair of the KYB strut-plus assemblies. I may still order the rear shocks since there’s a $50 rebate if I do…I’ve got until the end of the month to decide…

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting…factory ride heights I was just checking before the install. Right side is 32 1/4” and Left side is like 31 7/8”.

I ride on 245/45/20’s. Can I talk someone with their factory rims to measure and post up what the stock height with stock rims is? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Factory spec for "P" 2014 Equinox with P235-55-R18 tires.
Front ride height, both sides.
Measure vertically from ground, at a centerline to the wheel, to the tallest spot on the bottom lip of the wheel opening.

Measurement should be 32.1 inches, plus or minus 0.5 inch.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Factory spec for "P" 2014 Equinox with P235-55-R18 tires.
Front ride height, both sides.
Measure vertically from ground, at a centerline to the wheel, to the tallest spot on the bottom lip of the wheel opening.

Measurement should be 32.1 inches, plus or minus 0.5 inch.
I’m in spec then! Looking forward to getting the KYB’s on!

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
I just spit out my drink.

Yeah- I found that my equinox also has a slight difference when I measured the sides.
I also installed KYBs front and rear.
I also did the rebate.... Got my nice rebate pretty quick- as a VISA card.

while a bunch of that stuff was apart- replaced brake pads, oxygen sensors, plugs, motor mount etc.
The only failed part-- well sort of was the axle- as something knicked the boot and it flung all the grease out- it was very recent when I found the grease splatter.
Turns out that while that axle is out- its easier to get to one of the oxygen sensors. So that was a win win.
But did this nearing 100,000.
Im good for another 100,000.

Just passed 105,000.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts