GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox LS that is having problems with the key getting stuck in the ignition after placing the vehicle in park. The first time it happened, it was due to a bad battery (had a bad cell). We replaced the battery but one month later it is getting stuck again. I realized that when it occurs the voltage reading on the battery is slightly lower than normal (11-12 volts). It will pick back up to 14 volts after it runs a while though. We have already had both the battery and the alternator checked out by two service shops and both said they checked out good. I'm now leaning towards either a bad battery connection or possibly a bad switch. Does anyone else know of a way we could test the connection between the battery and the alternator? Could the switch drain the battery temporarily? I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Rebekahsmom said:
I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox LS that is having problems with the key getting stuck in the ignition after placing the vehicle in park.
Can you define 'stuck'? I am having trouble understanding how a car battery under the hood can cause a key to become 'stuck' in the ignition once placed in park.
Do you mean you can't physically turn the key to the off position and remove it from the steering column?[/color]

I realized that when it occurs the voltage reading on the battery is slightly lower than normal (11-12 volts). It will pick back up to 14 volts after it runs a while though.
Yes the service shops are correct - 11-12V with engine off, 14V when running.[/color]

Does anyone else know of a way we could test the connection between the battery and the alternator?
If the service shop did a load test on the battery that most problably got checked to, the proper machine conducts a load draw on the battery and checks the alternator outputs as well.[/color]
Could the switch drain the battery temporarily? I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would recommend taking the vehicle back to your local dealer for a diagnosis. They should be able to assist you further. Please feel free to keep me posted either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 07 Torrent on a trip to Chicago. One morning the it would not start and the key could not be removed. It was dead. GM Motor Club got a jump for me and it started and ran fine on our trip home from Chicago. The next morning it repeated. The dealer diagnosed and fixed a loose connection on the battery positive post. Ran fine for 3 weeks. Unfortunately, we had 2 more no starts 2 days ago. This time the key could still be removed and it was not totally dead, so could be something different.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
LOT said:
I have a similar problem with my 07 Torrent on a trip to Chicago. One morning the it would not start and the key could not be removed. It was dead. GM Motor Club got a jump for me and it started and ran fine on our trip home from Chicago. The next morning it repeated. The dealer diagnosed and fixed a loose connection on the battery positive post. Ran fine for 3 weeks. Unfortunately, we had 2 more no starts 2 days ago. This time the key could still be removed and it was not totally dead, so could be something different.
Have you mentioned to your dealer that your concern has not been resolved? Please feel free to contact me as well if need more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts