GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased my 2020 Terrain in December, so I've only used the AC a few times so far. Each time I use it, I end up turning it off due to an odor coming out of the vents. It's hard to describe - sort of medicinal or antiseptic...definitely chemical rather than organic.
I left it at the dealership yesterday for investigation and was told it was simply the smell of the 'plastics' used to make the components. I disagree. It's not a 'new car' smell, it's actually unpleasant and hasn't diminished with use.

Any ideas? I have less than 5000 miles on the vehicle, and obtained it new in Dec. 2019. Using the heat doesn't smell, fyi.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
This is pretty typical. The best you can do is run the A/C with the windows cracked for a long drive even if you do not need the A/C. Add some heat with the temperature control and cook the system while you do this. That will help.

Also, it is Always best to turn the A/C OFF 5 minutes or so before you plan to stop. Run the fan at a bit higher speed and this will help remove moisture in the system that condenses on the coil inside the car. Do this everytime or else a "swampy" or dirty sock odor may result.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is pretty typical. The best you can do is run the A/C with the windows cracked for a long drive even if you do not need the A/C. Add some heat with the temperature control and cook the system while you do this. That will help.

Also, it is Always best to turn the A/C OFF 5 minutes or so before you plan to stop. Run the fan at a bit higher speed and this will help remove moisture in the system that condenses on the coil inside the car. Do this everytime or else a "swampy" or dirty sock odor may result.
Are the dealerships still able to program in the afterblow? I know they did this on my folk's previous Traverse which was a 2017. I can't remember if they did the same for their 2020 lease or not.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Are the dealerships still able to program in the afterblow? I know they did this on my folk's previous Traverse which was a 2017. I can't remember if they did the same for their 2020 lease or not.
I am unsure if they can still program the "after blow" for A/C operation.

I've just always taken care to turn off the A/C a few 1/2 mile or so before stopping my vehicles in hot, humid weather anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts