GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit to be lousy at backing up/backing in with any vehicle. I had a couple fender-benders while backing up while learning to drive and I guess the experience has carried over into an excess of caution (and fear) when backing into a tight spot. That being said I am finding the backup camera to be little help. Probably my fault and maybe, over time, I will get the hang of using it, but to me it is just confusing. It is too wide and makes everthing in the back look too far away. On the other hand the mirror makes everything look too close. Any suggestions for using the system properly?

Also, it would have been useful, IMHO, to be able to switch the camera on while in drive just to get a wide angle view of what is behind you and what might be coming from your blind spot......

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
A neat "trick" that I have found is to look over your shoulder by turning your neck. Everythink is full size, and no problems with convex/concave mirrors. ( a little tongue in cheek here)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I park in a garage at work. I back into my space against a concrete wall. I've noticed that the back-up lights create a glare when nearing the wall so that the camera becomes ineffective. I understand why this is so I've gotten to ignore it in this instance, but otherwise I find it very useful. Glad I've got the option.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've grown to really like the feature...have NAV screen. I appreciate the lines of direction and am getting comfortable with the view and how to interpret distances. But still rely on the mirrors and the look over the shoulder technique. But it sure is nice to see what's behind the vehicle before moving!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the backup camera a lot more than I thought I would. Before I back up I take a look to make sure nothing is behind me. I don't find it all that helpful in fitting into tight spaces and don't necessarily think that is what it is intended for. I also find it really helpful when pulling in to the garage, I put in reverse to check and see if I am fully in the garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One of the tricks I learned with a previous car was to learn where my bumper really was in relation to the image on the screen.

So I went to a parking lot, and would back up until the parking space line has just disappeared in the camera, and then got out to see where my bumper was.

And then tried it again, and tried to put the bumper right at the edge of the line.

Once you figure out the relation of what you are seeing, it becomes an extremely useful tool.

·
Registered
635 Posts
moofy said:
One of the tricks I learned with a previous car was to learn where my bumper really was in relation to the image on the screen.

So I went to a parking lot, and would back up until the parking space line has just disappeared in the camera, and then got out to see where my bumper was.

And then tried it again, and tried to put the bumper right at the edge of the line.

Once you figure out the relation of what you are seeing, it becomes an extremely useful tool.
Moofy, I did that when I took a Terrain for a test drive!(used a snow bank) Great minds think alike..fools never..oh never mind

·
Registered
53 Posts
tmozer - I've found it takes some getting used to, especially if you've never had the option before, but think I'll come to love it, as I think you will too.....just keep practising! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts