GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my backup camera that I installed. I connected it to my Magallen GSP as a monitor. When I put the Equinox in reverse the camera comes on but the picture is wavy and somewhat distorted. When I turn the key off in the garage the light go on and the backup lights go on for a few second and that turns on the camera and the pictures is perfect. So when the key is on I get a distorted picture. Can anyone help me with this problem?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Did you connect to the reverse lights themselves?
I always thought these were supposed to be connected to "ignition on" power and the ground wire connected to the reverse wire under the dash so when your go into reverse that is when the camera comes on.

Edit:
It would help if you give us more specifics on what you bought...how you installed it...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Also...do you have it set to PAL or NTSC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The directions show connecting the power wire from the camera to the backup lights power wire at the back of the car. The ground wire from the camera goes to a ground on the Equinox. The video wire from the camera goes to the monitor. It comes on when I put the Equinox in reverse like it should but the picture is wavy. When I turn the car off and the backup lights go on the picture is perfect. The camera is NTSC and you can't change that. I thought maybe the factory Bluetooth might be causing a problem. Thanks for your help! Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well NTSC is the standard for N. America (including Canada) so that's good...I assume your Magellan would be NTSC as well (it should be)

I doubt it's Bluetooth related

I don't like the hook-up to the lights themselves though

May I suggest you disconnect your current hook up at the lamps and run a test wire to another 12V source and give it another go?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Perhaps its a faulty video wire /conn/ or just loose. Hmmm. Video ok when car off. Car on bad video perhaps from small vibration affecting signal... just an observation

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it is bad just when car is running then i think engine is creating some interference, causing the waves. I suggest doing some reading on internet about interference but that is just my thought.

·
Registered
978 Posts
scottb said:
If it is bad just when car is running then i think engine is creating some interference, causing the waves. I suggest doing some reading on internet about interference but that is just my thought.
This is exactly my thought on suggesting trying a different power location
Ideally I would think the reverse circuit at the BCM would be the most steady...but first try to eliminate the symptom with another source

Will be interesting to hear what the problem turns out to be though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts