GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also have a 2017 chevy equinox. i got in My car the other day it was only about 15 degrees outside ,put all my stuff in and closed the door and heard a pop look at my back window and I no longer had a window got out and took a look at the window found it was blown out in all 4 corners were missing, as well. there should be a recall on the back windows if there gonna blow out on their own had to spend almost $500 to have it fixed . I have only have had my car for 3 years is not under warranty .
And there is no recalls that I have seen for the black window blowing out all on its own.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Tempered glass is usually very durable but cold or heat can cause it to shatter.
Tempering puts the outer surfaces into compression and the inner surfaces into tension.
I live in Tucson and in our June/July 115 degree summers we see it a lot.

Most auto manufacturers have this problem.
Contact your insurance company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rear tempered glass breaking on its own seems to be pretty rare. Had the same experience last year. Temperature was about 15 degrees Celsius. Since I was apparently lucky that day, I bought a lottery ticket. I didn't get lucky on that however. I just payed out of pocket to have the window replaced. I can't remember the exact cost. It was $450 - $500.

It sucks when it happens, but it does happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Crap shoot, I witnessed two car rear windows blow out, it seems rare when you think how many cars are out there. If only you could have the same odds and it happen to you in the lottery.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Glass can have unseen internal stress's and cause it to shatter.
Todays glass is bonded to the metal body, different expansion rates, not like the old rubber mounted glass of old.
Ever seen tempered heat rated oven door glass break? Most folks have not but I've replaced a ton of internal / external oven door windows along with glass stove tops before I retired.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
54 Posts
Related link:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts