GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is there something added to the LTZ (2.4 eng, FWD) that requires the floor space to lift under it rather that keeping the floor flat vs. the LT trim?
Here is why I ask. When I bought it, I thought there was enough space below the seat to slide things like even a tissue box underneath or even my atlas book.
When taking my first test drive of an Equinox and being shown the sliding rear seat, I looked at the space below the rear seat and the space below the sliding portion that extends the surface of the rear cargo area. I have a cat that travels in the car, so I had to look for hiding spaces that I might not be able to get her out of :)
I test drove a 1LT with the standard cloth seats (lightweight, by the way when moving the rear). I remember feeling underneath the rear for how much room there was that a cat might easily slide under. It seemed an easy place to crawl so it was something in my mind when buying it.

At another dealer I ended up buying a LTZ with leather seats. I didn't look further at the one I bought for features I'd already seen including looking at this again. After buying, I was first struck at how difficult it is to slide the rear seat of this one. I am assuming it's due to the weight of the leather. Then, when I was ready to store some small but important items under the rear seat, I found that it didn't have the expected room. Instead, the floor appears to go up under the seat like a rising cliff edge. Literally, I can barely fit my hand between the raised floor and the the bottom of the seat. It also seems to be shallower when you view the space under the rear cargo sliding "lip" if you lift it compared to what I first viewed.

So in summary, is there something that I can't figure out that the LTZ has making that floor raise up vs. the LT?
I have a standard engine.
There is no special entertainment wiring at back; there is, however, the Nav Screen and a sunroof not on the 1 LT I originally test drove. I would think that only affects the front and roof.

Does anyone have either trim that they can observe and relate their space to me?

I appreciate it!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybe the amp for the upgraded audio sound system.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I haven't looked under my rear seat, and don't have models to compare....but I'm guessing that Supermat is right on the amp being the difference if there is one. With the air vents under the front seats, there really isn't anywhere else in the cabin to put such a thing without compromising cargo space..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NoobNox said:
I haven't looked under my rear seat, and don't have models to compare....but I'm guessing that Supermat is right on the amp being the difference if there is one............
"Supermat right on the amp" ??? Not sure what that means exactly. Do you think the better sound system (it does have that vs the 1LT standard is somehow wired and run under there??

Posted by: jls1958
Insert Quote
A cat & leather seats?.......................not a good combination..........

As for the cat...Ha! Yeah, I wasn't so sure about that, but then I also didn't want to deal with the fur on the nice seats and the mesh weave and claws of the Premium cloth..I could put a towel or something down, but this is a unique cat and doesn't extend what she does have of claws. Interestingly, and quite humorously, she rides the console either curled up or sitting and watching out the front window. Sometimes, she sits between the rear seat headrest to watch what's going on. That console is perfect for a small, agile animal especially if you put a little towel over it while travelling with one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have 2LT with leather. There is room in the gutter behind the back seat when it slided up. I stored some shoes in this gutter under the plastic cover on our trip last Christmas. When my wife unloaded the car, she thought we forgot some shoes until I pull them out from there. There is also room underneath the back seat to store stuff.

·
Registered
698 Posts
jecilop said:
That console is perfect for a small, agile animal especially if you put a little towel over it while travelling with one.
Wrong. The perfect place for a small, agile animal is in the house, or in a carrier somehow secured in the cargo area. The console is perfect for... wait for it... you and your passenger's elbows.

Sorry... pet peeve (pardon the pun) of mine to see animals anywhere near the driver. It's just not safe for you or the animal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that on-topic feedback. It was...wait for it..helpful :-/...not.

You should work on not having to offer a response to everything as you may not have all the info. Just because I thought I'd relay an interesting situation doesn't mean I gave all the details of where the pet actually spends the travelling time...wait for it..the carrier.

Here is hoping someone actually scrolls through the junk post and bothers to look and respond to the actual inquiry.

·
Registered
698 Posts
>:D

Meh... just looking out for your safety... kind of like a PSA. I would have helped with your actual concern (I do think I'm generally a help around here) but after reading your post twice I still couldn't figure out what the heck you were trying to ask.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I think I have my answer. I have a friend who ended up getting the Equinox at a different trim (1 LT).
I got to look under their backseat today and see the same setup with it slid all the way back. There is no room under the backseat.

Now, I wonder why it is built up as is. Anyone know about the construction there leading to a need for that space being built up as is?

·
Registered
5 Posts
doesn't the spare tire slide forward more under the seat? it gives more room under the vehicle for the exhaust system and other components. haven't actually looked in mine in great detail tho. my slt 1 with leather seems to be set up the same way you describe it to be. and i agree about the weight difference between leather and cloth. the cloth on the test drives slid well the leather in mine seems super heavy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
jecilop, this might seem a bit silly, but are you sure that the rear seat was in the same position when you saw lots of room vs. no room?

The floorpan is bumped up under the rear seat and that is where the front of the fuel tank sits. Although the V6 models have a slightly larger fuel tank, the underbody floor pan is common to all models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I concluded that I must have walked away from the first test drive forgetting to move the seat back and thinking the space was there...
THANK YOU for the info I was looking for on the construction underneath the seats to explain it! Now I only to find out if that is needed across the entire back seat floor for the tank. It seems likely, but if I am able to use even one side that would be great.
I happen to have an appointment today for some strange exterior body warranty issue so I'll ask them then. The timing on this post reply is interesting considering that appointment :)

UPDATE: Got to see under the car myself. There is definitely no room to modify this as the gas take completely used the space :-(

Thanks again!. Now to find more holes to store emergency items.... The tire area only allows so much :)

Boarder: No, the tire doesn't slide back. In fact, it actually tilts up behind the seats and down under the bumper. The gas tank location design would explain this well now that I think about it. I never put the tilting tire and underneath area mystery together until now...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts