GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2010 Equinox LS last Saturday. Nice unit. I did notice that when I reset the "Average MPG" monitor, it goes to "0" and then resets to 22.5 MPG. At the dealers, we tested another one and it did the same thing. Do they all work like this or is something strange going on with these units?

·
Registered
277 Posts
My Terrain had that readout when I got it last week. It has not been reset since as I'll probably do that when I get 1st fillup. It has gone up considerably since as my driving is 80% interstate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've reset the Average MPG a couple times. Both times it went to zero and slowly climbed up where it should be. Both of those times were when the 'Nox was running. Was your 'Nox running at the time you reset the readings?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't make any differance if it is running or not. When you hit the reset, it goes to zero and then jumps to 22.5 within a couple of seconds. When you start to drive it starts to calculate normally. It just starts from 22.5 instead of zero.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dumb question about this - do you get a more accurate reading if you reset at your fillups or do you just leave it and do a cumulative reading? Does it matter?

I've just filled the tank for the second time; I reset it at vehicle delivery (when the car had 49 miles on it) and I haven't reset it since. I'm about to hit 1000 miles and so far I am reading 25.2. (I drive 80% highway and have been working on my hypermiling techniques, plus using premium gasoline as per something I read here.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reset with each fill. If you let it accumulate forever, it wil give you a long term averace but, it will not show you what your car is currently doing for MPG. I use this information to tell me if the car is running properly. Mileage will tell you a lot about the condition of the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It was my understanding from a GM tech that the average MPG was supposed to give a reading over "a standard full tank of gas", so I'd guess about 500 miles worth of averaging. A running 500 miles though, without a reset unless done manually. Since there is the instant MPG screen too, I'd rarely want to reset the average one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The avg MPG needs to be reset every tank of gas to give you an idea of the MPG on that tank.

Use a site like fuelly.com or software MPG tracker to track the MPG for the life of a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Why though? With the software you can do both. Just confused because you said its an indicator of vehicle health but then you dont check it every fill up. Strange to me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
lol hhaha

Ive been doing my per tank since I had a vehicle that didnt have a working fuel gauge. Get it wrong and I ran out of gas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've reset all mine every fillup. There seems to be so many variables that can influence the average reading.
I was responding on another poat regarding the hood deflector I installed about 3 weeks ago.
At that point the discussion was the shield may increase gas consumption. At the time I agreed, just because of logic.
At the time I believe I said it was 10.8 ltr/100 Km. But daily as I commute back and forth to work it would drop by .1.
Now the variables all kick in. Since the install, the consumption has been improving but then so has the weather and the break-in milage / Km's.
With the morning's being above freezing you don't get the warning of possible ice.
I think that is part of the defrost kicking in at a given temp / humidity, thusly turning the AC on.
Less warmup time for the choke as well.
As of last night all city driving, it was at 10.0 lt/100kms. The Nox is at 4,100 Kms. now. All this in ECO mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts