GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I bought a SLT2 in mid December and have about 3300 miles on it. Every fill up I reset one of the trip meters to see how many miles I get on a tank. Then out of habit, when I'm filling up the next time I do the basic math of the miles on the trip meter divided by the gallons pumped into the tank to see what MPG I'm getting. I've noticed that the miles I calculate at the pump have been about 1-1.5 MPG less than the average MPG displayed on the console. Anyone else notice this?

The computer says I average about 25.5 MPG typically (50/50 city/highway). The pump tells me about 24-24.5. So it seems like either the trip meter or the average calculation is incorrect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,406 Posts
YEP - my '10 does that consistently. Bugs the crap out of me. Dealer said nothing can be done with a computer re-flash. People on the Forum with '11s claim that it comes out a lot closer. Must be they screwed the algorithm back up in '12. Come on GM !!! :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's bogus... my 30 day inspection is Monday. Definitely going to bring it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,406 Posts
Let us know. That is my #1 pet peeve of the car ! That and the gas filler neck on the "wrong side" !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RIT333 said:
Let us know. That is my #1 pet peeve of the car ! That and the gas filler neck on the "wrong side" !!!
Good point... why should the driver always have to walk around the car? My guess is some some safety thing with the tank being an extra foot away from the driver when it catches fire. I had a tank on the driver side up until now and survived though :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
Running the tires on the hard side might help a small amount.

I run 40 lbs and get decent mileage on trips.
Might not matter in town.

My 2¢
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I remember it being said that it being on the right side has to do with being safer if you had to pull over while on the road and filling up... I actually prefer it on the right side.. since its less common and I am more likely to find an open pump at gas stations without turning around and backing up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
kparrent said:
Hello all,

I bought a SLT2 in mid December and have about 3300 miles on it. Every fill up I reset one of the trip meters to see how many miles I get on a tank. Then out of habit, when I'm filling up the next time I do the basic math of the miles on the trip meter divided by the gallons pumped into the tank to see what MPG I'm getting. I've noticed that the miles I calculate at the pump have been about 1-1.5 MPG less than the average MPG displayed on the console. Anyone else notice this?

The computer says I average about 25.5 MPG typically (50/50 city/highway). The pump tells me about 24-24.5. So it seems like either the trip meter or the average calculation is incorrect.
I've had 4 vehicles with the average MPG display and in my experiance they can vary either way at times , sometimes high, sometimes low. I only use it as a guide and manually calculate if I'm really interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,406 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
I remember it being said that it being on the right side has to do with being safer if you had to pull over while on the road and filling up...
My Ah Ha moment. They put the gas filler on the right-hand side because everyone expects to get 32 MPG, and they don't, so when they run out of gas, it is safer to pour in gas from the non-traffic side of the road ! Also, people are "unexpectedly" running out of gas because the DIC does not tell them "exactly" how many miles of range they have left once they hit "low fuel", right Eric ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
RIT333 said:
My Ah Ha moment. They put the gas filler on the right-hand side because everyone expects to get 32 MPG, and they don't, so when they run out of gas, it is safer to pour in gas from the non-traffic side of the road ! Also, people are "unexpectedly" running out of gas because the DIC does not tell them "exactly" how many miles of range they have left once they hit "low fuel", right Eric ?
;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
My DIC says I average 17/18 mpg - NOW. It use to say 15 mpg until they recalibrated it. Before and after I always got 15 mpg when I figured it out by hand.
Sneaky dealer trying to pull the wool over my eyes.
Dealer mentallity = "Let's fool the customer by adjusting the computer to give better results then actual and tell him we fixed it, he'll never know."
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
931 Posts
RIT333 said:
My Ah Ha moment. They put the gas filler on the right-hand side because everyone expects to get 32 MPG, and they don't, so when they run out of gas, it is safer to pour in gas from the non-traffic side of the road ! Also, people are "unexpectedly" running out of gas because the DIC does not tell them "exactly" how many miles of range they have left once they hit "low fuel", right Eric ?
I want it vocal. Why can't GM have a soft husky sexy voice(in surround sound)to lure me to the pumps whether I really want(or have time) to go or not..? ..and if the gas gets reeeaal low..that same vixen voice could even suggest what she may do to me..if I hurry. Much more inticing than trying to find a needle on a gas guage...and then guessing that I should probably look for fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
IceMan said:
I want it vocal. Why can't GM have a soft husky sexy voice(in surround sound)lure me to the pumps whether I really want(or have time) to go or not..? ..and if the gas gets reeeaal low..that same vixen voice could even suggest what she may do to me..if I hurry. Much more inticing than trying to find a needle on a gas guage...and then guessing that I should probably look for fuel.
I want it Oral too :clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
kparrent said:
Hello all,

I bought a SLT2 in mid December and have about 3300 miles on it. Every fill up I reset one of the trip meters to see how many miles I get on a tank. Then out of habit, when I'm filling up the next time I do the basic math of the miles on the trip meter divided by the gallons pumped into the tank to see what MPG I'm getting. I've noticed that the miles I calculate at the pump have been about 1-1.5 MPG less than the average MPG displayed on the console. Anyone else notice this?

The computer says I average about 25.5 MPG typically (50/50 city/highway). The pump tells me about 24-24.5. So it seems like either the trip meter or the average calculation is incorrect.
Ya think how you place the nozzel into the tank has anything to do with it? Guess that 1 mile a gallon difference on what a 13 gallon tank will leave you stranded ...I really don't know how large or small of a tank is in these things so....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Ya think how you place the nozzel into the tank has anything to do with it? Guess that 1 mile a gallon difference on what a 13 gallon tank will leave you stranded ...I really don't know how large or small of a tank is in these things so....
18.8 gal if I remember correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
kparrent said:
That's bogus... my 30 day inspection is Monday. Definitely going to bring it up.
Your really going to complain to your dealer that your DIC isn't reading the same as your calulations???? Maybe the fuel you use has more additives in it and flows thru the meter different so you 1 friggen mile per gallon off...Simple solution... look at your guage when it gets around half, go fill up and don't worry about it, your going to need it anyhow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,053 Posts
I have a traverse. no nox yet.

But I keep a log.
I always let the pumps AUTO shut off. thats when I stop filling.
I have found that 1 pump that I use- always gives very very close results to the DIC.

Other pumps in other places- are way off- and you wonder-- they rig the pumps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
I filled my Equinox tank the other day, after the first nozzle auto shut off, I was still able to squeeze just over 3 additional gallons of fuel in. I'll bet the MPG algorithm is thrown off a bit for this reason as the computer will see "Full" for a long time as the tank level is really full+++. It must see some real good fuel economy based on the tank sender input, that would likely throw off the whole tank average and skew it higher ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,053 Posts
Im tempted to say- that the vehicle does a better job of calculation fuel used...
I mean- its the one that is injecting precise amounts of fuel into the combustion chamber... so it should now how much fuel is being used....

On the other hand... we have fuel pumps that are too precise- (have they been checked by the dept of weights and measures).... then different pumps shut off at different levels. and like posted above- some people can pump x gallons after auto shut off...

One good way would be to top off- to the point you see fuel at the filler neck--- but we know thats a no-no..
I tend to believe my DIC is pretty accurate-- and most errors appear in the actual fill up.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top