GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have recently bought the 2010 NOX 1LT with interface package. It comes standard with the AUX, but because of our package, it comes with USB.

I tried the USB, and as of most cars with USB, you cant control your IPOD through the IPOD (I dont mind, because I can control it through the dash. I do really like the feature how you can control your ipod through your front dash. It does give me some problems when trying to connect the iPod. For example, I will connect the iPod, and not all the will it register. Sometimes when I have the iPod connected, and start listening to a song, a very slight movement of the ipod can disconnect the iPod, and from there, Id have to unplug and plug in the USB multiple times to get it working again.

Yesterday I figured I would go out and pick up an AUX cord. Now, I like it because I can control my iPod, but I cant control my ipod through the dash nor could I change songs, unless I go to my iPod itself (I cant click the forward or back button for the next songs on neither the dash nor the steering wheel.

Keep in mind, I have an iPod Touch.

Is this a common problem? A problem I cant control? Will I have to choose one or the other? If so, Id stay with USB, only because it has more pros then cons. Any recommendations?

Pretz

·
Registered
35 Posts
USB works with my 3rd Gen iPod. check the owners manual, as it states some iPod and MP3s may not work properly with USB port...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
No probs with our iPOD nano and USB.
Maybe try a new USB cable, sounds like you have a sloppy connection, or maybe try cleaning the connector with some Isopropyl Alcohol (90 % or whatever the highest concentration is that you can get) or contact cleaner and Q-Tips.
Maybe even a couple little pieces of tape to hold the USB cable attached inside the console.
We make sure we don't stuff stuff (hahaha) into our console that's gonna disrupt the connection.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If the problem continues, have your dealership re-flash the radio. Since this is such a new vehicle, there will probably be a lot of updates to the electronics as they work out little bugs and what-not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if I am posting this question in the right place, but it is somewhat related.

Is it okay to leave a USB drive permanently in the port?. I can switch to radio and cd but
the USB drive stays in the port.

Other than it breaking if you drop something heavy on it, I cannot see any problems.

Let me know please.

Love my Terrain.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Pretz said:
My parents have recently bought the 2010 NOX 1LT with interface package. It comes standard with the AUX, but because of our package, it comes with USB.

I tried the USB, and as of most cars with USB, you cant control your IPOD through the IPOD (I dont mind, because I can control it through the dash. I do really like the feature how you can control your ipod through your front dash. It does give me some problems when trying to connect the iPod. For example, I will connect the iPod, and not all the will it register. Sometimes when I have the iPod connected, and start listening to a song, a very slight movement of the ipod can disconnect the iPod, and from there, Id have to unplug and plug in the USB multiple times to get it working again.

Yesterday I figured I would go out and pick up an AUX cord. Now, I like it because I can control my iPod, but I cant control my ipod through the dash nor could I change songs, unless I go to my iPod itself (I cant click the forward or back button for the next songs on neither the dash nor the steering wheel.

Keep in mind, I have an iPod Touch.

Is this a common problem? A problem I cant control? Will I have to choose one or the other? If so, Id stay with USB, only because it has more pros then cons. Any recommendations?

Pretz
Is it jailbreaked ? Do you have the latest os ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
davmyrnis said:
Not sure if I am posting this question in the right place, but it is somewhat related.

Is it okay to leave a USB drive permanently in the port?. I can switch to radio and cd but
the USB drive stays in the port.

Other than it breaking if you drop something heavy on it, I cannot see any problems.

Let me know please.

Love my Terrain.
if you want to leave the USB stick in the port all the time, just get a short USB extension cable, M/F, and attach the stick to the cable. You don't want to hurt your stick and the port by dropping or bumping it when it is sticking out from the port.
www.monoprice.com is a great place for cables

·
Registered
297 Posts
fullcourt said:
if you want to leave the USB stick in the port all the time, just get a short USB extension cable, M/F, and attach the stick to the cable. You don't want to hurt your stick and the port by dropping or bumping it when it is sticking out from the port.
Monoprice.com is a great place to get all your cables. I've been using them for years on all my home theater needs, without paying the outrageous Monster Cable prices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find that the older the ipod, generally the better it will work with these Ipod USB connectors. For example, my ipod touch 1st generation works way better then my ipod touch 3rd generation (a difference of about 2 years in age).

But I have found that the new apple update for the ipod touch, OS 4.0, which is free, made my 3rd generation ipod touch work far better. I would definitely recommend that everybody updates their ipod touches.

As for the AUX port, unfortunately it will never allow control through your dash or steering wheel controls, regardless of car, ipod, or mp3 player. An AUX port can only receive an audio signal.

·
Registered
626 Posts
fullcourt said:
Just curious--how will an extension save the port? The hard part of the connector is still almost as long as a USB stick by itself, so if you drop something on it you could still break the port.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
What works best is a right-angle USB connector.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There's an idea, I might try that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I found an ideal USB for use in the Nox. It is made by Avexir. I got the 16GB. It is barely bigger than the plug and hardly sticking out at all. I load all the mp3 songs into it and the Nox plays w/o any problem. The only thing is that it lists all the songs in different folders into one directory, ahhhh. I got it from mwave.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
KD123 said:
I found an ideal USB for use in the Nox. It is made by Avexir. I got the 16GB. It is barely bigger than the plug and hardly sticking out at all. I load all the mp3 songs into it and the Nox plays w/o any problem. The only thing is that it lists all the songs in different folders into one directory, ahhhh. I got it from mwave.
Nice find! Just for reference, this solution will cost roughly double the price versus a standard 16GB USB drive, but still, I think it's pretty slick!

Link: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?scriteria=BA42051&pagetitle=AVEXIR%20AVND010316G-XMAS%2016GB%20USB%20Flash%20Drives,%20Net%20Driv

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got it when it was on sale for about 50% off. Today they have a 2GB for about $5 shipped. I just got one to have quick music change.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That's way cool. I just bought a Logitech wireless mouse with a "nano-receiver" that looks about the same size. I bet that most mainstream drive makers will come out with similar sized products. Nice!

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place or not, but it is USB related. On the USB when you plug in an ipod or even an Iphone will the USB provide charging to the units or not? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts