GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So installed some HID's on a 2010 this afternoon and when the lights are in "automatic" mode, you can hear a buzzing or humming noise from the engine bay. when you turn the lights off and on manually the buzzing/humming noise is there. to install the HID's i had to install a wiring harness with it as well and needed to disconnect the battery, could this be why? wondering if this noise will go away or what i can do.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
515tinter said:
So installed some HID's on a 2010 this afternoon and when the lights are in "automatic" mode, you can hear a buzzing or humming noise from the engine bay. when you turn the lights off and on manually the buzzing/humming noise is there. to install the HID's i had to install a wiring harness with it as well and needed to disconnect the battery, could this be why? wondering if this noise will go away or what i can do.
I'd guess it's the ballast. Follow your ears, and if they both are humming, then that is probably "they way they are". If it is just one, then you can try switching the two ballasts, and if the hum goes to the other side, then it is a bad ballast. If the hum stays on the same side, then it is a problem with the wiring - maybe a bad ground.

Report back !

·
Registered
136 Posts
515tinter said:
I too had the same thing.I even replaced the relays with 4 different sets.
Still had the buzzing while the lights were left in auto mode.But if you turn the lights on the sound goes away.

My solution take out the relay wires.Just use a ballest to the lights no relay.

Have a look on the forum , you will see my installation without the relays.

NO noise at all and the lights work 100% no issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
was this during the day or at night? from what 515 said, it's probably the relay. i heard the same thing when i tried out a relay briefly, but this was during the day. when i turned the lights on manually in the garage, there was just one click from the relay and that was it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts