GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I recently purchased a used 2018 Chevrolet Equinox which has the auto stop feature that can’t be disabled. The issue I’ve noticed is that the engine will go into auto stop when I’m changing gears (from drive to park or drive to reverse) and then quickly switch back on. I’m not sure if this is a defect or if it’s normal. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Drive to Park is normal and I get it all the time if I don't move the shifter fast enough. I don't think I have ever had the opportunity to go from Drive to Reverse while in auto stop but I assume that is normal as well. I've resorted to just going in L and bumping up to high gear to defeat auto stop. I haven't really noticed any change in fuel economy so I wonder how effective auto stop is to begin with.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That’s normal behavior. You will get better at shifting to park fast enough to beat the start stop. Rarely happens to me anymore. The Terrain with the push bottom is even better because you can just hit the start stop button without putting it in park.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I finally started moving the shifter to 'L' every time I pull in the driveway, unless I already have it in 'L'. Anymore, as soon as I start driving, I put the transmission in 'L' and push the button to set it to 9th gear. I refuse to believe that the starter and battery are actually designed to function for over 100K miles with all the starts and stops encountered in normal driving. Somebody ran a computer program to determine the design specs for both items... just like the program that somebody ran to make the corona virus predictions! It's all in the assumptions for the inputs needed to get the results you're looking for.
Just my opinion, of course, but it's my car also :)

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
10 Posts
You know I've noticed this on my '18 Diesel. I'm thinking since I've got my foot on the brake, the car thinks I'm at a stop light and the engine will take that nap. When I shift gears to say park, it wakes up. Its one of those things you get used to. I wouldn't say its annoying. Just a quirk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts