GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Roesterman said:
Keeping doors locked adds to structural integrity during a crash.
I would tend to agree 99.9% with that statement, especially should a rollover occur, heaven forbid!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Never heard of the Onstar unlocking of doors. You would probably have to be subscribed to even have that feature, no? Which, there it is again, another safety OPTION that you would subscribe to.
Onstar operators can unlock your doors automatically via satellite should you happen to lose your keys or lock them in the vehicle.
No reason they couldn't do it in a crash situation.
Ontstar "Safe and Sound" comes standard for one year with the purchase of a new vehicle:

http://www.onstar.com/canada_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp

Safe & Sound
Emergency Services
Automatic Crash Response
Emergency Services
Crisis Assist
Security Services
Stolen Vehicle Assistance
Remote Door Unlock
Roadside Assistance
Remote Horn & LightsDiagnostics
OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics
On Demand Diagnostics
Navigation
Turn-by-Turn Navigation Available*
Calling
Hands-Free Calling

·
Registered
182 Posts
cheddar11 said:
A have a few law enforcement friends and they say from experience that the seatbelt issue is about 50/50. Half the time the seatbelt actually causes the injury than the actual collision. Mainly internal bleeding that cannot be immediately diagnosed. This has to do with the tension and force put on the body. But it all depends on the type of collision. I'm not saying people shouldn't wear one and they DO save lives, but they also cause almost as many injuries.
WTF? This is a self-defeating argument. Seat belts cause injuries in crashes - yes of course they do - but the injuries that would have otherwise been sustained if you weren't wearing seat belts would be exponentially greater. If you're in any kind of accident where the seat-belt is causing a major injury, you'd likely be dead otherwise. That's like saying skydiving is sometimes dangerous, therefore it's not worth having a parachute when jumping out of a plane... No matter what, it's the guaranteed lesser of evils...

I don't know any cop or paramedic anywhere who wouldn't ever argue that seat belts are a 100% win/win.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Speaking from experience, once impact is detected in a crash the doors will unlock and the interior lights will come on.

In a matter of 5-10 seconds you have a human being from On Star talking to you. Not a recording or please wait, but a live person.

The commercials are true to life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Have fun with trying to sue and proving that it was with malicious intent that the doors were unlocked (which could be unlocked manually anyway after put in gear) and that's why you were injured.
I never said malicious intent, I said negligent. You can have the best intentions in the world and still be held negligent because of a poor decision. If your decision to disable or even manually unlock the doors directly results to an injury to a person, you can be held negligent. And as NY_Joe said, the doors unlock once in an impact (which what i was referring to earlier) so why would you want to disable this besides being too lazy to push a button to allow someone in while in gear?

·
Registered
58 Posts
scottyyyc said:
WTF? This is a self-defeating argument. Seat belts cause injuries in crashes - yes of course they do - but the injuries that would have otherwise been sustained if you weren't wearing seat belts would be exponentially greater. If you're in any kind of accident where the seat-belt is causing a major injury, you'd likely be dead otherwise. That's like saying skydiving is sometimes dangerous, therefore it's not worth having a parachute when jumping out of a plane... No matter what, it's the guaranteed lesser of evils...

I don't know any cop or paramedic anywhere who wouldn't ever argue that seat belts are a 100% win/win.
Yes, it is a lessor of evils. The point is that seat belts do cause injuries and even result in death, but we never know what the injury would be if they didn't wear their seat belt. It's an assumption and because of that the "facts" and conclusions are a ballpark guess.

·
Registered
182 Posts
cheddar11 said:
The point is that seat belts can[/color] cause injuries and even result in death, but luckily[/color] we know[/color] what the injury would be if they didn't wear their seat belt. It's a scientifically proven field[/color] and the "facts" and conclusions are very precisely measured[/color].
There, I fixed it for you. Good thing it was just a typo, I thought you were serious there for a moment.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
SnowItch said:
Burden of proof is on you. You still haven't provided any evidence to back up your claim that seat belts kill more people than they save.
No, burden of proof is not on me......I never said that seat belts kill more people than they save. I said they do NOT save you every time. The whole point is that it should be an option and not forced upon you. You like to believe everything you read on the internet with no real world experience. Which BTW, you have way too much time on your hands to post on here every 10 minutes. You probably support our communist gov't though, no worries, I'll keep working so that your mortgage and welfare is provided.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
redlight_005 said:
No, burden of proof is not on me......I never said that seat belts kill more people than they save. I said they do NOT save you every time. The whole point is that it should be an option and not forced upon you. [/color] You like to believe everything you read on the internet with no real world experience. Which BTW, you have way too much time on your hands to post on here every 10 minutes. You probably support our communist gov't though, no worries, I'll keep working so that your mortgage and welfare is provided.
Sure, make them optional.
Then good luck trying to find an insurance company to cover you while you're driving without one.
;)
BTW, were the other comments really necessary or justified?

·
Administrator
621 Posts
Guys, let's keep the personal attacks out of this forum. There's no reason for name calling or being rude to each other. There are people of all different beliefs, backgrounds and opinions on a public forum. I try to give all of my members as much personal freedom as I can to express your opinions, but not when it spiral into personal attacks.

Let's stay on the topic of automobiles, please.

Thanks,
admin

·
Registered
446 Posts
I learned to wear seat belts the day I saw the remains of an accident. I was just 16 and a few weeks old at the time. The car I saw had a head on impact, and the windshield had two outward bulging imprints, both painted red. It doesn't take too much imagination to understand why the bulges were they and why they were red... :( I always wear my seatbelt. Always.

Another thing that always made me think was the videos of the crash tests where the front of the cars were run into barriers, usually on the front corner. Watching the vehicle crumble and the crash test dummies fly forward shows a really harsh impact. Those crashes are done only at 35 MPH. 35! Wow... Normal street speed limits in my area are 40 to 45 MPH. Of course a lot of them go faster, me including at times.

Fortunately, I have not experience with the On-Star crash response. *knocks on wood*

But in response to the topic, I don't see that a locked door will keep any emergency workers out of a vehicle. They've got the tools to remedy that problem if needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Narg said:
But in response to the topic, I don't see that a locked door will keep any emergency workers out of a vehicle. They've got the tools to remedy that problem if needed.
Agreed. I carry a LifeHammer with me, in case I ever need to use it for myself or another driver.
Could've used it years ago when I saw an 18 wheeler roll over in a snow storm, and had to kick out the windshield in order to help the driver out.

And no, I am not an emergency worker, just a regular Joe driving down the highway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There's plenty of times when a tree ends up in the drivers seat. Now the driver survived because he wasn't wearing a seat belt and was thrown to the passenger side of his car. It happens. A seat belt does not SAVE you EVERY single time. Stop being so close minded. Do I wear one? Yes, but I have no problem with people who do not. It's their CHOICE. Not hurting me by not wearing it. Yes people have drowned wearing them too. Again, you cannot say that they would have died from impact first and not drowned. That cant be proven. Back to the thread topic of auto door locks, I asked dealer specifically to make sure they could be disabled. Find out when I get the car, they cant. That's the point and that it should be you CHOICE anyway. I dont care what your opinion is, I have my reasons and checked prior to purchasing to make sure it could be done.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think Cheddar11 has let this one go (and ignored me in the process!)... And rightfully so, I can't even conceptualize what goes through someones head in trying to argue that we aren't better off without seatbelts...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Urban legend.......lol. I've seen (with my own 2 eyes) that if someone was wearing a seat belt, and they were still secured in the drivers seat, they wouldnt be here because there is now a tree, bumper or some other object that is in that space. Because they were not buckled, the force moved them out of the driver area. And I can't post pictures of MVA's and victims to PROVE it to you. There's laws against that. Actually I dont have to prove it to you, you'll just keep believing with your closed mind and no real world experience that you know everything.

·
Registered
635 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Yes, but I have no problem with people who do not. It's their CHOICE. Not hurting me by not wearing it.
If a person is unbuckled behind you when you crash they will hurt you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Anyone been able to totally disable this feature so that it doesnt lock you in when put in gear?
This is a safety feature.. you cannot disable the autolock when putting the car in drive!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
SnowItch said:
How do you know that I don't have "real world" experience. You know absolutely nothing about me, or what my experiences are. Nothing.

I absolutely don't have a closed mind. If you read through the thread, you will see that I've asked people to provide proof to me. No one (especially you) have provide any proof to back up your claims.

I absolutely don't know everything. Only my wife does.
Because if you had real world experience you would agree that in some instances they absolutely help, in others they do not. You provided internet proof, you personally have not provided any proof either! I told you, I have seen personally cases that support both facts. That's all I'm going to say. Wonder why motorcycles dont have seat belts???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Roesterman said:
If a person is unbuckled behind you when you crash they will hurt you!
I didnt say passengers in the rear of your car. I'm saying YOU, the driver, by themselves, do what you want. It's not affecting me as another motorist. Like I said, do what YOU want.......

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.