GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been able to totally disable this feature so that it doesnt lock you in when put in gear?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had service manager contact GM engineers. I specifically asked TWICE before purchasing to make sure that the door locking function could be turned totally off. I have to provide a letter stating that I want this feature re-programmed due to work, etc. They first tried to tell me that it couldnt be done. I know for a fact that it can be. Will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SnowItch said:
Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

I remember once as a small child (probably 6-7) that I was curious what would happen and opened the door of a moving car. Would have fallen out if it wasn't for the quick reflexes of my older brother. I wouldn't even think of turning off the option with kids in the car.
Do not have kids and that's what the child safety locks are for. If I want to lock the doors, I will lock them. I do not need to have my vehicle locking me in all the time. Ever pull out of your garage, parking spot, etc. to allow someone in and guess what??? You have to unlock the door. You think it's a "safety" feature to have the doors locked all the time? Explain the safety in that.....I can tell you that it doesn't help us emergency responders get to victims any quicker. Plain and simple, just another freedom being taken away. The park assist is a safety feature, and that can be disabled.....All that needs to be done is a re-program. Not hard to due, had it done on my Silverado.

Reactions: UnclebubbaSLE

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats great if you love the feature. I specifically was told it could be taken off and its not. Where was your info about being locked in being safer???? And about the seatbelts, I've also seen where they kill people instead of save them. Do what you want, it's your life. The option should be available though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roesterman said:
Keeping doors locked adds to structural integrity during a crash.

Oh please, dont tell me you do any type of engineering for a living! Come on that was a pretty funny vid tho. I'll give you that! As far as seatbelts saving you, sure do. All the time? Nope. When it's your time, it's your time. Never heard of the Onstar unlocking of doors. You would probably have to be subscribed to even have that feature, no? Which, there it is again, another safety OPTION that you would subscribe to. Cheddar11, you can still unlock your doors manually after you put the car in drive right? Insurance companies are not going to fight against you. There's MILLIONS of cars that dont have this safety feature right? I'm sure they're still insured.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
noncon said:
It is actually more of an car jacking deterrence I think. There were a few case of car jacking attempts made at stoplights, since the door was unlocked, it was made easier.

KJ
Yes that's what it is geared towards.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SnowItch said:
Quote for me where I ever said they saved lives all of the time. I didn't. I said that seat belts save lives far more than they take lives. I challenge for you to prove that isn't true.
Well if something is a proven fact, 100%, then by all means it should be standard. You can say that they save far more lives, but that cannot be proven either. There's no way to prove it either way. Regardless if you choose to wear your seatbelt or not, it still should be a choice on your part. Do I wear mine? Yes, but am I going to say that everyone else should be forced to do the same? Nope.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SnowItch said:
Bull! You're making things up now. There are thousands of studies down with crash test dummies that prove without a doubt that seatbelts save lives.

Again, I challenge YOU to present proof otherwise.

A simple google search.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/seatbelts.shtml
Ok so now you prove to me that the 63% killed would have been saved IF they were wearing a seat belt......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheddar11 said:
A have a few law enforcement friends and they say from experience that the seatbelt issue is about 50/50. Half the time the seatbelt actually causes the injury than the actual collision. Mainly internal bleeding that cannot be immediately diagnosed. This has to do with the tension and force put on the body. But it all depends on the type of collision. I'm not saying people shouldn't wear one and they DO save lives, but they also cause almost as many injuries.

Redlight, in regards to your insurance comment, I agree that there are cars that don't have this feature and are still insured, but you are talking about DISABLING a safety feature that is factory standard. How would this be any different if you disabled your airbags and got into a front end collision? I would sue your a** off if I was injured due to a standard safety feature that you disabled to feed your ego. It's called negligence and you can be sure that I would win.
Ah at least we're starting to think outside the box and not believing everything we read or are told. I see it first hand as well. Airbags can be turned off as well. Have fun with trying to sue and proving that it was with malicious intent that the doors were unlocked (which could be unlocked manually anyway after put in gear) and that's why you were injured. You wont win and that kind of person would not be in my car anyways!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
SnowItch said:
Burden of proof is on you. You still haven't provided any evidence to back up your claim that seat belts kill more people than they save.
No, burden of proof is not on me......I never said that seat belts kill more people than they save. I said they do NOT save you every time. The whole point is that it should be an option and not forced upon you. You like to believe everything you read on the internet with no real world experience. Which BTW, you have way too much time on your hands to post on here every 10 minutes. You probably support our communist gov't though, no worries, I'll keep working so that your mortgage and welfare is provided.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There's plenty of times when a tree ends up in the drivers seat. Now the driver survived because he wasn't wearing a seat belt and was thrown to the passenger side of his car. It happens. A seat belt does not SAVE you EVERY single time. Stop being so close minded. Do I wear one? Yes, but I have no problem with people who do not. It's their CHOICE. Not hurting me by not wearing it. Yes people have drowned wearing them too. Again, you cannot say that they would have died from impact first and not drowned. That cant be proven. Back to the thread topic of auto door locks, I asked dealer specifically to make sure they could be disabled. Find out when I get the car, they cant. That's the point and that it should be you CHOICE anyway. I dont care what your opinion is, I have my reasons and checked prior to purchasing to make sure it could be done.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Urban legend.......lol. I've seen (with my own 2 eyes) that if someone was wearing a seat belt, and they were still secured in the drivers seat, they wouldnt be here because there is now a tree, bumper or some other object that is in that space. Because they were not buckled, the force moved them out of the driver area. And I can't post pictures of MVA's and victims to PROVE it to you. There's laws against that. Actually I dont have to prove it to you, you'll just keep believing with your closed mind and no real world experience that you know everything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
SnowItch said:
How do you know that I don't have "real world" experience. You know absolutely nothing about me, or what my experiences are. Nothing.

I absolutely don't have a closed mind. If you read through the thread, you will see that I've asked people to provide proof to me. No one (especially you) have provide any proof to back up your claims.

I absolutely don't know everything. Only my wife does.
Because if you had real world experience you would agree that in some instances they absolutely help, in others they do not. You provided internet proof, you personally have not provided any proof either! I told you, I have seen personally cases that support both facts. That's all I'm going to say. Wonder why motorcycles dont have seat belts???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Roesterman said:
If a person is unbuckled behind you when you crash they will hurt you!
I didnt say passengers in the rear of your car. I'm saying YOU, the driver, by themselves, do what you want. It's not affecting me as another motorist. Like I said, do what YOU want.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.