GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been able to totally disable this feature so that it doesnt lock you in when put in gear?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It doesn't appear possible to do it. People in the Acadia forums are annoyed by this too.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Anyone been able to totally disable this feature so that it doesnt lock you in when put in gear?
I think it should be possible through the setup screen. Will check in the morning.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had service manager contact GM engineers. I specifically asked TWICE before purchasing to make sure that the door locking function could be turned totally off. I have to provide a letter stating that I want this feature re-programmed due to work, etc. They first tried to tell me that it couldnt be done. I know for a fact that it can be. Will let you know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Had service manager contact GM engineers. I specifically asked TWICE before purchasing to make sure that the door locking function could be turned totally off. I have to provide a letter stating that I want this feature re-programmed due to work, etc. They first tried to tell me that it couldnt be done. I know for a fact that it can be. Will let you know how it works out.
What is the need to have it de-programmed? Safety?

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you want to open the door as you are moving(maybe to spit or something, I don't know) Just unlock the door.
If you forget to put in park when letting someone out you have to unlock door manually too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SnowItch said:
Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

I remember once as a small child (probably 6-7) that I was curious what would happen and opened the door of a moving car. Would have fallen out if it wasn't for the quick reflexes of my older brother. I wouldn't even think of turning off the option with kids in the car.
Do not have kids and that's what the child safety locks are for. If I want to lock the doors, I will lock them. I do not need to have my vehicle locking me in all the time. Ever pull out of your garage, parking spot, etc. to allow someone in and guess what??? You have to unlock the door. You think it's a "safety" feature to have the doors locked all the time? Explain the safety in that.....I can tell you that it doesn't help us emergency responders get to victims any quicker. Plain and simple, just another freedom being taken away. The park assist is a safety feature, and that can be disabled.....All that needs to be done is a re-program. Not hard to due, had it done on my Silverado.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I hear ya!

Automatic transmission: just taking away your right to shift
Intermitent wipers: taking away your right to wipe when you want
Power windows: taking your right away to crank the handle
Seat belts: taking away the right to fly out the window

·
Registered
446 Posts
Roesterman said:
I hear ya!

Automatic transmission: just taking away your right to shift
Intermitent wipers: taking away your right to wipe when you want
Power windows: taking your right away to crank the handle
Seat belts: taking away the right to fly out the window
Cruise Control: taking away your right to be an annoying dead foot driver
Power Stearing: making all of us fat due to lack of exercise
Tire Inflation Monitor: taking all the fun out of "will we make it or not"

LOL! The list could go on....

I know my Traverse has this ability. Interesting they took it off. But I'm not missing it. I love the auto-lock feature!!!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
LOL!!! @ the 2 posts above.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats great if you love the feature. I specifically was told it could be taken off and its not. Where was your info about being locked in being safer???? And about the seatbelts, I've also seen where they kill people instead of save them. Do what you want, it's your life. The option should be available though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Where was your info about being locked in being safer????.
Keeping doors locked adds to structural integrity during a crash.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the doors would unlock after you've been in a collision. OnStar would do this automatically with their automated crash response anyways. I think the old argument of "I don't want to be locked in" is past it's time. These are safety measures put in place for the good of the public. Have fun fighting your insurance company when a passenger is ejected or seriously hurt because the doors opened from having this safety measure disabled.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roesterman said:
Keeping doors locked adds to structural integrity during a crash.

Oh please, dont tell me you do any type of engineering for a living! Come on that was a pretty funny vid tho. I'll give you that! As far as seatbelts saving you, sure do. All the time? Nope. When it's your time, it's your time. Never heard of the Onstar unlocking of doors. You would probably have to be subscribed to even have that feature, no? Which, there it is again, another safety OPTION that you would subscribe to. Cheddar11, you can still unlock your doors manually after you put the car in drive right? Insurance companies are not going to fight against you. There's MILLIONS of cars that dont have this safety feature right? I'm sure they're still insured.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is actually more of an car jacking deterrence I think. There were a few case of car jacking attempts made at stoplights, since the door was unlocked, it was made easier.

KJ

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
noncon said:
It is actually more of an car jacking deterrence I think. There were a few case of car jacking attempts made at stoplights, since the door was unlocked, it was made easier.

KJ
Yes that's what it is geared towards.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SnowItch said:
Quote for me where I ever said they saved lives all of the time. I didn't. I said that seat belts save lives far more than they take lives. I challenge for you to prove that isn't true.
Well if something is a proven fact, 100%, then by all means it should be standard. You can say that they save far more lives, but that cannot be proven either. There's no way to prove it either way. Regardless if you choose to wear your seatbelt or not, it still should be a choice on your part. Do I wear mine? Yes, but am I going to say that everyone else should be forced to do the same? Nope.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A have a few law enforcement friends and they say from experience that the seatbelt issue is about 50/50. Half the time the seatbelt actually causes the injury than the actual collision. Mainly internal bleeding that cannot be immediately diagnosed. This has to do with the tension and force put on the body. But it all depends on the type of collision. I'm not saying people shouldn't wear one and they DO save lives, but they also cause almost as many injuries.

Redlight, in regards to your insurance comment, I agree that there are cars that don't have this feature and are still insured, but you are talking about DISABLING a safety feature that is factory standard. How would this be any different if you disabled your airbags and got into a front end collision? I would sue your a** off if I was injured due to a standard safety feature that you disabled to feed your ego. It's called negligence and you can be sure that I would win.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SnowItch said:
Bull! You're making things up now. There are thousands of studies down with crash test dummies that prove without a doubt that seatbelts save lives.

Again, I challenge YOU to present proof otherwise.

A simple google search.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/seatbelts.shtml
Ok so now you prove to me that the 63% killed would have been saved IF they were wearing a seat belt......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheddar11 said:
A have a few law enforcement friends and they say from experience that the seatbelt issue is about 50/50. Half the time the seatbelt actually causes the injury than the actual collision. Mainly internal bleeding that cannot be immediately diagnosed. This has to do with the tension and force put on the body. But it all depends on the type of collision. I'm not saying people shouldn't wear one and they DO save lives, but they also cause almost as many injuries.

Redlight, in regards to your insurance comment, I agree that there are cars that don't have this feature and are still insured, but you are talking about DISABLING a safety feature that is factory standard. How would this be any different if you disabled your airbags and got into a front end collision? I would sue your a** off if I was injured due to a standard safety feature that you disabled to feed your ego. It's called negligence and you can be sure that I would win.
Ah at least we're starting to think outside the box and not believing everything we read or are told. I see it first hand as well. Airbags can be turned off as well. Have fun with trying to sue and proving that it was with malicious intent that the doors were unlocked (which could be unlocked manually anyway after put in gear) and that's why you were injured. You wont win and that kind of person would not be in my car anyways!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.