GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm driving in the rain, the headlights come on automatically once the windshield wipers are turned on (I can't seem to find this in the manual, but it seems to take about 30 seconds). I see the headlamp icon in the instrument panel, but the panel does not dim. Three times now I've been driving home in the rain (with wipers and headlights on) when, after about 20 minutes, the instrument panel dims. Does anyone know why this happens? I suspect it is because the sensor that triggers the headlights to come on when it gets dark enough thinks it's dark enough so dims the panel. I just can't figure out why it takes 20 minutes, as the brightness isn't changing as I drive home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Regarding the headlights/wipers connection, all automatic lights do this because some states have a law that requires headlights to be on when windshield wipers are on. I've found the light sensor can be fickle in regards to dimming the dashboard and radio screen - sometimes it happens instantly, other times it is like you said.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Interior and exterior lighting control are seperately controlled, so it really depends on the light level.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's basically what I thought.

Today, I discovered that, at least on my Nox, the head lights coming on (after the wipers are turned on) is not based on time, but rather number of wipes across the windshield. On intermittent, low, it took almost 3 minutes before the lights came on, while on regular low, it was only 10 seconds. I kept turning them on/off and changing the timing and the lights came on after exactly 8 wipes, no matter which speed.

I clearly do not have enough to do.... :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Haha! Interesting though. Makes sense though...that way your lights aren't flashing for a quick second and confusing other drivers if you just do a quick wipe or two to clean off your windshield. I wonder if the lights will come on if only the rear wiper is turned on...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vince730 said:
Haha! Interesting though. Makes sense though...that way your lights aren't flashing for a quick second and confusing other drivers if you just do a quick wipe or two to clean off your windshield.
I guess this same reasoning would apply to it being timed as well (come on 30 seconds after the wipers are turned on -- I think that's what my Malibu did).

I wonder if the lights will come on if only the rear wiper is turned on...
Oh, goody, more things for me to do. :) Seriously, with all the "Lee" rain we are getting, I'll be able to check this out tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts