GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to look for led headlights to my chevy equinox 2019 but I’m not really sure if there are ones that fits to the car.. any recommendations would be great!
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Assuming you have an L or LS trim, you should be able to replace your halogen bulbs with quality LED bulbs. The overall benefit might be negligible if the LED bulbs are not properly adjusted and aimed.

The LT comes standard with HID lights, and Premier trim comes standard with LED lights. Upgrading lights on those trims is probably not even worth trying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming you have an L or LS trim, you should be able to replace your halogen bulbs with quality LED bulbs. The overall benefit might be negligible if the LED bulbs are not properly adjusted and aimed.

The LT comes standard with HID lights, and Premier trim comes standard with LED lights. Upgrading lights on those trims is probably not even worth trying.
What do you mean? Why is it not worth trying? I can barely see something with these halogen bulbs and I want strong white light (legal)

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Hids on the equinox have a higher rating by the government than the LEDs.not sure why, but that is the case.

Reactions: jimtech

·
Registered
296 Posts
What do you mean? Why is it not worth trying? I can barely see something with these halogen bulbs and I want strong white light (legal)
I always thought the HID’s in my 18’ Terrain were better than the LED’s in my 19’ Equinox.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Current crop of aftermarket, even factory LED's will not beat HID's. LED look brighter but do not put light as far down the road as HID.
HID kits installed in my entire ''fleet'' except the Traverse w/OEM ones that aren't that great.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As I posted, if you have an L or LS with the standard, base halogen bulb headlights a website such as LASFit will sell you LED bulbs that can replace those halogen bulbs for about $70. You might see a very small difference if those LED bulbs are properly clocked when they are installed, and the headlights are properly aimed.

The OEM LED lights in the Equinox are not rated that much better than the base halogen headlights, so don't expect a massive upgrade if you replace halogens with aftermarket LEDs.

If you have an LT with the standard HID headlights, those are the best you will probably be able to do and not worth upgrading.

If you have the Premier trim with standard LED headlights, they are already LED and not worth trying to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not sure if a '19 has projector housing but my '16 nox does and going HID was a tremendous upgrade and their sharp cutoff puts light down on the road and not into oncoming eyes. Using 5k bulbs BTW.
I do have LED's in the factory fogs which are a improvement on the wimpy OEM bulbs and put out a lot more side light to light up the ditches in the woods to spot critters.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe the Equinox uses a 9012 which is a high efficiency HIR2 bulb. You can't get a more efficient brighter Halogen unless you up the wattage and heat. My testing on my last car show going from a standard Halogen bulb to HIR was more of an improvement then going to an LED bulb. Unfortunately you may already have the brightest Halogen available.

However pull out the bulb and check what it is maybe the GM used a standard Halogen (maybe the 9006)

Also once LEDs get hot they drop in brightness. Not a problem with Halogen.

I would stay away from LEDs to replace HIR2 bulbs. Maybe HID conversion would be better if you want to experiment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts