GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Anyone use the Tire Sealant/Compressor yet?

38K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  KCorey 
Rather have a spare than the sealant. Sometimes you can get more damage to the tire or even a rim. Guess this is the future to cheapen and make vehilces lighter. Funny how they do that on the caddy :D

I'm sure it's to save money and weight. I have had valves clipped on my cars and in 1 case a broken rim which the sealer would not fix (I doubt the sealer could fix a sidewall gash). I prefer a spare (or temp spare). I also don't trust the sealent once it's in the tire to cause future problems. But when you buy a vehilce you don't have much of a choice.

Had a nail last week. On my Saturn VUE had 2 valves go and 2 nails over 7 years. I doubt the sealant would work on the valves. Does the compressor use the 12 volt power or batteries?

If you have the sealer and it dosen't work you either have to take the tire to get it fixed (Need another vehilce) or towed . One thing with the spare is you have to check the pressure once and a while.

I guess one can buy or maybe order a temp spare from a tire store. I think it would fit. Whenever I mount one i go straight to a shop to get the old tire fixed. I drove about 10 miles to my local shop and had no problems with the temp spare when I got a nail in a tire recently. I laugh when I see people on highways with them or use them like a regular tire. I also would not think that the sealent is a permanent repair repair. How can they find a puncture if the hole is sealed? Sometimes a nail head is obvious .. Sometimes not. I've seen shops use soap sprayed on tires to find leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.