GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tow behind a MotorHome ?

Only have 1000miles on my SLT2 so far with 600miles towing behind my MotorHome (2006-40' Fleetwood Excursion, CAT 350HP)....anyone else tow ? Would appreciate comments, concerns, likes/dislikes, etc. Only thing that (kinda) bothers me so far, is the run at the beginning, run at the end of day and run during fuel stops...ugh ! AND, I don't like leaving a key in the ignition (difficult to lock all doors having to pull 5amp fuse), tks, jmm

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Anyone tow behind a MotorHome ?

I'm currently in the market for a V6 AWD Terrain SLT1 to tow behind my 40' Allegro Bus. I've been researching the Terrain for a month or so and look forward to making a purchase very soon. I've had to also start my current toad, a Honda CR-V, periodically during the day and it's not a big deal, I typically start it in the morning and lunch and don't bother to start it at night since it's not going anywhere until the morning. I'm told that fuse #32 on the Terrain needs to be pulled when towing it. I'm sure there's an on/off switch of some type that I'll install instead of pulling a fuse every day it's towed. Looking forward to further discussions with you when I finally pull the trigger. Best regards, Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Look for that fuse switch plug at; www.rv-partsplus.com/home/accessories .... about $40. The fuse is actually easy to reach and I use a plastic "fuse puller". Guess I was spoiled with my Jeep 4x4 (no plug pulling or AM/PM running). This is actually to lube the trany, etc. Good luck on your purchase ! (oh yea, great gas MPG .. avg 26-28mpg vs Jeep at 16-18mpg). Also, I installed the BlueOx base plate and have an AirForce One (by SMI Corp) for toad brake system.

·
Registered
59 Posts

We Currently tow our Terrain SLT-1 behind our National Tradewinds. No problems towing. have a Demco Ex Cali-bar towbar. I also have the Air Force One braking system.
jmm, I have a question for you regarding your brake light system. Did you have it professional installed and did they use the Roadmaster Brake Light Relay kit to make the brake lights work properly when applying the motorhome brakes AND the directionals? As far as the FOB key in the inigition, I ordered an additional key for towing purposes only and it is not programed to open the doors or start the Terrain. Works perfectly and you don't have to worry about your vehicle.
We also had a Honda CR-V prior to the Terrain and it too had to be run every eight hours or fuel stop. The switch or something like that is next to alliviate the pulling of the fuse.

·
Registered
306 Posts

OK, bought the Terrain today. I'll be traveling to Colorado next Monday to pick it up. I found the exact SUV we were looking for, a AWD, V6, SLT-1, carbon black metallic, titanium leather interior, electric lift gate, towing package. Can't wait to actually get it.

PS: Thanks for info on "fuse switch".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

RS - good luck on your new Terrain, you will enjoy it.

JImmy-b ... interesting on the FOB key, where did you get it, I asked the dealer for something like that and they said did not exist (or they did not know what I was talking about). As for the rear brake lights....I had a shop who re-connected my AirForce One and BlueOx base plate do a "diod" connection, used the terrain bulbs, etc. It works but I am not that familiar with the "how to", sorry. Maybe someone reading can explain the "diod" connect.

·
Registered
89 Posts

A diode is an electrical component used to prevent backfeeding of the electrical system. Basically, it allows electricity to flow from your motorhome to the Terrain, but not from the Terrain to your motorhome. This would prevent any damage to the electrical system of your motorhome if you were to (for instance) turn the Terrain's lights on while it was still plugged into the motorhome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

·
Registered
59 Posts

JImmy-b ... interesting on the FOB key, where did you get it, I asked the dealer for something like that and they said did not exist (or they did not know what I was talking about). As for the rear brake lights....I had a shop who re-connected my AirForce One and BlueOx base plate do a "diod" connection, used the terrain bulbs, etc. It works but I am not that familiar with the "how to", sorry. Maybe someone reading can explain the "diod" connect.
jmm,

I ordered the key through my dealer (Coachella Valley GMC) parts department, however, they had to send it out to have it laser cut. I said I did not want it programed which will not unlock the doors or start the vehicle. As far as the diodes, mine too has them and using the Terrain lights, but when the brakes are applied in the motorhome with a directional signal activated it would not blink until a Roadmaster Brake Light Relay Kit was installed. I really never noticed it when checking the lights when getting ready to tow as we usually check everything independently, i.e. lights, directionals and then brakes.
If you don't have the problem, I would like the name of your installer if possible to find out the difference of your installation vs mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts

We have been towing our Terrain behind a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38J since Jan. No problems, Terrain tows OK. Our system is all Demco. Base plate, Excalibur II tow bar, and Sentry deflector. Terrain lights are interfaced with diodes to the motor home. I have not noticed any paint nicks from towing, but have picked up some paint nicks during normal driving. The forward sloping deflector seems to be doing its job.

I have not installed an aux. brake yet. I would be interested in knowing what aux. brake system RV types are installing in the Terrain.

·
Registered
306 Posts

I have used the Demco baseplate on my last 2 toads. i have found that Demco is very conscience about not cutting up the front of the car for the plate "ears" to stick through. I'm assuming that the Terrain plate "ears" come through the slit opening in the "grill" and no cutting is required. Is this correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts

We are towing our 2010 AWD 6 Cyl. SLT-2 behind our Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED with the 300 hp Cummins. We couldn't be happier with it as a tow vehicle, now that we have it set up.

We had a Roadmaster baseplate professionally installed. Looks good and out of site. We're using the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. We had the installer put in seperate lights, instead of tapping into the Terrain electrical system.

We are using the Brake Buddy Vantage Select braking system. Some folks don't like messing around with putting it in and out of the car, but it isn't any problem for us. Just different folks with different opinions, I guess.

After the wife dropped the little minifuse into the bottom of the console, I got the fuse switch at the site shown in the earlier post in this thread. It was very simple to install and it looks good. Flipping the little switch is better than pulling the fuse every time.

My only gripe is that the Brake Buddy requires a 12 volt power supply. With the key in ACC and Fuse #32 pulled, the only 12V power outlet with juice is the one all the way in the back near the liftgate - too far for the Brake Buddy power cord. It would have been nice if GMC had one of the 3 12V outlets up front stay hot when the fuse is pulled. We fixed the problem by getting the Brake Buddy 12v outlet and running it direct from the battery to a spot up under the dash. Now that it's in, it's out of the way and works well.

In addition to liking the Terrain as a toad, we're also very happy with it as our everyday car.

·
Registered
59 Posts

We also have used Demco baseplates on our last four toads and yes, it fits perfectly in the cutout just under the Terrain grille. As for fuse #32, we pull it when towing, but will try and find the switch to make it easier when preparing for towing.

FireFlyer, I looked at the switch on a previous thread and it looks like a round switch. Is this the same one you purchased? Where did you mount it in your Terrain? Thanks in advance for you assistance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Reply to RVHAM - our brake package is the "Air-Force One" made by SMI corp...(smibrake.com) and connected thru our MH (FreightLiner Chassis) air-brake system to the Terrain. We had it on our Jeep toad that we traded....works great !

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello all, new guy here. Just wondering if there are any updates on towing the Terrain. I am getting ready to install Roadmaster base plates to tow our 2012 all wheel V6. Have been towing our 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi pickup but at 5700 pounds am looking forward to a lighter toad. Has anyone exceeded the 65 mph limit for an extended period? Our HR Endeavor 330 Cummins has a "sweet spot" about 68 or so where it runs it's best. Thanks, DB

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2012 Terrain SLT. We have towed it all the way from Florida West to California, then all the way up the West Coast, we are now it Canada. Have had no problems. I had a toggle swith installed under the dash, so I don't have to pull the fuse. It works great. That way it is easy to unlock the doors and start it after towing.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Works perfectly and you don't have to worry about your vehicle.
We also had a Honda CR-V prior to the Terrain and it too had to be run every eight hours or fuel stop. The switch or something like that is next to alliviate the pulling of the fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts

All,

We just had our first towing experience with our 2013 Equinox. Total Distance about 600 miles, no problems, but one concern is how long of a stop constitutes a fuel stop which requires the resetting of the system to run the engine. It would be a good idea if a time figure was input into the directions instead of just the comment of at each fuel stop. If I have to stop the RV to use the facility does that constitute a fuel stop. I really would like a number to work with. Perhaps the GMC Customer Care folks can chime in here and help us out with this issue.

Ray Siso Jr.
2013 Equinox LTZ

·
Registered
1 Posts

We purchased our 2013 Equinox because we could tow it behind our motorhome. Tried to get a key without the chip to leave in the ignition while towing. Since we couldn't get that we ordered a key for $80 from the dealer and told them we did not want it programmed. It just had to manually unlock the doors and turn the ignition to accessories. It worked just the way it was suppose to until after about the 3rd stop and we discovered that the fob had programmed itself. Back to the drawiing board on the key.

·
Registered
210 Posts

rosebrd said:
We purchased our 2013 Equinox because we could tow it behind our motorhome. Tried to get a key without the chip to leave in the ignition while towing. Since we couldn't get that we ordered a key for $80 from the dealer and told them we did not want it programmed. It just had to manually unlock the doors and turn the ignition to accessories. It worked just the way it was suppose to until after about the 3rd stop and we discovered that the fob had programmed itself. Back to the drawiing board on the key.
Can you remove just the key part from the fob and put it on a key chain by itself and use that? Might need to drill some holes in a piece of plastic and attach the key to it so you can easily turn the key. I know the keys can be removed from the fobs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts