GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LS 2.4L FWD 169,000Km
114 Posts
I could take a guess... When the engine is cold too much valve overlap will cause poor engine performance. ( stumbling - hesitation etc. ) So the software designers program out any changes to the exhaust cam timing while the engine is cold, limiting valve overlap to a minimum.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Computer Personal computer Output device Rectangle Font

Read where I highlighted if a problem exists in either the intake or exhaust actuator system.......bla bla... Looks like their is a problem with ur intake cams position... According to my chart there is supposed to be no change in either cam during idle.... Now is the car actually commanding a 38% increase in valve timing... Because its supposed to be 0 or is something stuck open... Do the readings change like it says on the conditions listed on the table I showed? This is for all gm vehicles built with 2.4 and and 3.6 ECT. Stopwatch was dead on perfect with his guess.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
after 6 mins it picks up like the intake looks
In idle? Is there any chance you were 1 link off on the chain or not dead center on a colored link....38% is allot did you replace everything like the actuators when the new head went on and why was a whole new head needed anyways? Burned valves or something? I could only really see those few things wrong with it, that's what would cause both cams to do that maybe at some point 6 min later you would see another change wrong parts ECT would cause that back and forth in cam timing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In idle? Is there any chance you were 1 link off on the chain or not dead center on a colored link....38% is allot did you replace everything like the actuators when the new head went on and why was a whole new head needed anyways? Burned valves or something? I could only really see those few things wrong with it, that's what would cause both cams to do that maybe at some point 6 min later you would see another change wrong parts ECT would cause that back and forth in cam timing.
Yeah I replaced actuators and the other head had dropped all the valves on the intake side when the tensioner broke I've replaced all on the head I'm wondering about the timing chain I used it was cloyes the complete kit and it does kind of misses on start up.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Are those doorman phasers? I would say that is your first problem... Should be acdelco and you have no upper timing chain guide.... Those 2 could cause that issue.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
They are, I can see the symbol.... I can't really tell anything about the timing with those on either.... Where did you get the head from?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had ordered it off eBay Odessa cylinder head tomorrow I'm going to take it all back apart and reset the timing again hopefully can get the phasers locked back in.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Maybe pick up just a manual or find a online one there was allot of changes made for the phasers and cams from 2010 to 2011 and later the vvt is sensitive to acdelco parts too like if you use doorman phasers and actuators or just random parts these newer 2.4s especially for some reason it really should be acdelco. That's what they come with and it helps if you have the old phasers cams ECT to compare with the new parts. Before you start make sure the motor is tdc #1 cylinder on the exhaust stroke... And the round dot on the crank gear is in the 6 o clock position. May Be just look at the cams to make sure they are in the correct spot like during a compression stroke both intake and exhaust valves are closed ect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I replaced them two weeks ago no change.i no on these phasers they are not marked ext and intake these compared good to the old phasers

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Is it the same part number on both phasers? Like the doorman 917-254 shows it works for both intake and exhaust. Where as they also have a separate intake cam 917-251 for other 2.4s, I don't understand how but basically every other company uses individual part numbers on the cams,,.. they look the same as doorman 1AEEK00634 which flat out are not recommended for that car and the 917-254 is a similar looking product allot of people find they are just getting 2 exhaust phasers but that works only on certain 2.4 motors like the ones u get in like a 2008 chevy Malibu. There were so many changes it's kinda crazy between 2006 and 2019 there was probably more than 4 different variations of cams/ phasers combos for the 2.4 where the phasers you have claim to cover basically every 2.4 and they will work just like 1 cam like an intake or exhaust. For your motor the lea 2.4 I recommend a dedicated intake cam phaser and exhaust phaser with seperate part numbers. Aside from that and confirming your timing marks and checking the connector on the actuators just for a duty cycle/ voltage it should run without codes.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
head had dropped all the valves on the intake
Woah.... Is your oil pressure light working? What were you doing to cause such an extreme failure? Like a huge burn out or something? Idk how that happened maybe you have oil passage issues or pump issues that's literally very close to impossible. May be a bad pcm even that's just crazy. In order for that to happen you actually had interference before somewhere. Under normal conditions you may drop 1 valve under extreme conditions.... Not all the intake valves. May be a reason the tensioner failed high oil pressure? Low oil pressure? Luckily the timing cover is the oil pump and easy to replace you could also take some measurements when it's off to see if it is still good like is the gear on the crank have alot of play?. The tensioner doesn't just fail, even when it does it beaks into pieces and nobody knows until you go to replace it it falls apart upon removal but still works... Maybe the timing chain was very stretched idk.evem Looking at your picture I can actually see tdc #1 cylender is off.... See your exhaust cam is in the exhaust stroke that is correct but..your intake lobe is also causing the valve to open when it should be closed.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Btw if you don't have the original instructions for the timing chain there is a method where you manually count the links between each colored link to see what gear/ position they go to some kits come with no colored links.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya the chain when I removed it the old one had alot of slack and I am going to check the numbers on the phasers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeah on the colored links is 14 and if you count the colored links would be 16.and you have a good point on a power to the actuator my exhaust one is showing very little power and the intake one shows 12 volt.and it was no change in the resetting the timing as far as starting it starts first crank and but I so noise a little miss or stumble.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have changed the Crankshaft sensor out and I can't even get it releaned the car runs awful and does a bunch of codes have you ever heard of that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts