GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my SLT-2 Terrain for just less than a month and have under 400 miles on it. The leather on both front seats has started to stretch; it's worse on the driver side because that seat is used more-----------no problem in the rear seat because it's not used. The service department set up an appointment with an upholstery shop but the shop said the seats could not be fixed and needed to be completely reupholstered. The service department said no problem we'll get the shop to order the leather. I get all call yesterday PM from the service manager telling me GM said NO; they would not make any repairs to the leather seats under warranty. Remember we all have a 3 year/36 month bumper to bumper warranty and the seats are not excluded from the warranty unless they are abused.
I had a meeting this morning with the owner of the dealership; I will take the Terrain in next Tuesday and it will go to a shop he uses personally. He says the problem will be fixed whatever it takes-------we'll see. I have purchased many vehicles from this dealership and they have always went above and beyond to take care of any problem. I hope this turns out the same.

Anyone else having problems like this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,511 Posts
A few have reported a "fold" in the leather of their Driver's seat, which was warranteed, but nothing else that I recall. Mine sill looks brand new after a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Yes, the seats are covered. The PM just does not want to deal with all the paperwork with it. Press them and if it doesnt work, go up the chain. Plenty of people have had seat covers replaced under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
All leather seating will stretch a bit and crease with age (no matter the maker/cost of the vehicle) but with less than a month and only 400 miles you shouldn't have any noticeable wear. Sounds like one of the pieces was either cut slightly too large or wasn't stretched out tightly enough from the factory. Do you have pics you can post?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I had the same issue. Made the dealership have a shop stretch the drivers seat. It looks a lot better. I am getting a crease on the inside of the outer bolster but I figure that this is bound to occur with any seat over time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NoobNox said:
All leather seating will stretch a bit and crease with age (no matter the maker/cost of the vehicle) but with less than a month and only 400 miles you shouldn't have any noticeable wear. Sounds like one of the pieces was either cut slightly too large or wasn't stretched out tightly enough from the factory. Do you have pics you can post?
A bit maybe but after 3 1/2 years and 26,000 miles the leather in our 2008 Enclave looks like new-------not any stretching. The leather in the seat of the Enclave is only about 2/3rds perforated whereas the seat of the Terrain/Equinox is all perforated where you sit and probably made by a different vendor than many other GM vehicles. Because of the emphatic NO to the repair I think this is a problem that GM is fully aware of but is just trying to ignore.
I haven't taken any photos but below is a link to the Terrain Edmond's used for a long term test; scroll down until you see the photo of the drivers seat. Mine looks similar (not quite as bad) to this with 400 miles. The Author say it';s not excessive but I beg to differ even with 20,000 miles. http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2010-gmc-terrain/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,511 Posts
43sbest said:
I haven't taken any photos but below is a link to the Terrain Edmond's used for a long term test; scroll down until you see the photo of the drivers seat. Mine looks similar (not quite as bad) to this with 400 miles. The Author say it';s not excessive but I beg to differ even with 20,000 miles. http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2010-gmc-terrain/

Yeah - that looks pretty bad to me. Mine, with only 10,000 miles shows no signs of any stretching - and I have a 190 lb butt !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RIT333 said:
Yeah - that looks pretty bad to me. Mine, with only 10,000 miles shows no signs of any stretching - and I have a 190 lb butt !
I also weigh about 190 and the Wife about 125.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
So far after 3 months and 4000 miles my seats still look new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,511 Posts
43sbest said:
I also weigh about 190 and the Wife about 125.
Hey - us also !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Mine started doing something similar to what we see in the pictures, but smaller, except I have fabric covers... not leather.

It did not really botter me, but should I still show it to my dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BigBlarg said:
Mine started doing something similar to what we see in the pictures, but smaller, except I have fabric covers... not leather.

It did not really botter me, but should I still show it to my dealer?
I would
On the second try my dealer took mine to a shop that specializes in leather; the minute the shop owner saw the front seats he said they were not done correctly by the vendor. They took both seats apart un-stitched and refitted the leather and put them back together. Now they look like they should have to begin with. Poor quality control at the factory.
This is the NEW GM isn't it?
Kind of ironic that I received a call from GM today asking if I had any problems with the Terrain and if it would be OK if an Engineer called me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I bought a new 2012 SLT-2 Terrain six weeks ago. The passenger front seat showed some stretching after a couple of weeks, as well as the back seat behind the driver, where our 12 year old sits. The bolster area on the driver's side shows some wrinkling. The passenger side rear had never been sat on until we took a 1300 mile trip two weeks ago and our college age son(150-160#) went with us. When we returned from the trip, I was dismayed to see it has stretched out, as well. My last two cars have had leather seats and had no signs of stretching on them when we sold them. One was a Ford with 44,000 miles on it and one of them was a Buick Ranier with 176,000 miles on it. Other than this issue, we love our Terrain. We have 4,000 miles on it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
My 08 HHR leathe seats looked like new after 50k mi on them that is plain wrong it looks like :puke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
RVance said:
I bought a new 2012 SLT-2 Terrain six weeks ago. The passenger front seat showed some stretching after a couple of weeks, as well as the back seat behind the driver, where our 12 year old sits. The bolster area on the driver's side shows some wrinkling. The passenger side rear had never been sat on until we took a 1300 mile trip two weeks ago and our college age son(150-160#) went with us. When we returned from the trip, I was dismayed to see it has stretched out, as well. My last two cars have had leather seats and had no signs of stretching on them when we sold them. One was a Ford with 44,000 miles on it and one of them was a Buick Ranier with 176,000 miles on it. Other than this issue, we love our Terrain. We have 4,000 miles on it now.

Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
My Terrain's back portion had that slight ripple ( as pictured ) when I bought it , but I don't have any issue 'seat' portion pictured. Is that normal ( ripple in back part of seat ) ?

I never had the slighest issues with my two previous Monte Carlos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
JTNJ said:
My Terrain's back portion had that slight ripple ( as pictured ) when I bought it , but I don't have any issue 'seat' portion pictured. Is that normal ( ripple in back part of seat ) ?

I never had the slighest issues with my two previous Monte Carlos.
Here is a photo of my seats
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,511 Posts
JTNJ said:
My Terrain's back portion had that slight ripple ( as pictured ) when I bought it , but I don't have any issue 'seat' portion pictured. Is that normal ( ripple in back part of seat ) ?

I never had the slighest issues with my two previous Monte Carlos.
My really - mine are still very tight, and wrinkle-free.

Although, yours really don't look all that bad. You may want to complain, just to have it on record - just in case they get worse - after they are out of warranty.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top