GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Anyone do any appearance mods to their Terrain?

44K views 60 replies 17 participants last post by  Brite_12 
#1 ·
I had a gray Pontiac Torrent for a few years that my dad gave me...I finally Plasti-Dip'd my wheels, grill and emblems this weekend and by Monday my dad wanted a new truck but didn't want to get rid of his Terrain, so he gave that to me and traded my Torrent with 180K on it towards his new truck.

So i'm now the owner of a 2010 Terrain in red. I'm thinking about plasti-dipping the wheels and possibly the front grill just for the hell of it.

For anyone that doesn't know what Plasti-Dip is, its a spraypaint that puts a rubber like coating on things. Saw a video of a guy who did his wheels and i really liked it...always wanted to get my wheels powdercoated but didn't want to spend the money. This looked like a good alternative. It's supposed to be durable yet come off easily if you don't like the look.

I have pics but I guess I can't posts links yet.

Anyone do any types of appearance mods to their Terrain?

#2 ·
vice86 said:
I had a gray Pontiac Torrent for a few years that my dad gave me...I finally Plasti-Dip'd my wheels, grill and emblems this weekend and by Monday my dad wanted a new truck but didn't want to get rid of his Terrain, so he gave that to me and traded my Torrent with 180K on it towards his new truck.

So i'm now the owner of a 2010 Terrain in red. I'm thinking about plasti-dipping the wheels and possibly the front grill just for the hell of it.

For anyone that doesn't know what Plasti-Dip is, its a spraypaint that puts a rubber like coating on things. Saw a video of a guy who did his wheels and i really liked it...always wanted to get my wheels powdercoated but didn't want to spend the money. This looked like a good alternative. It's supposed to be durable yet come off easily if you don't like the look.

I have pics but I guess I can't posts links yet.

Anyone do any types of appearance mods to their Terrain?
How did that trade go for your dad with all that plastic hanging on it? First for everything I guess just not for me...

#4 ·
vice86 said:
all that plastic hanging on it? I don't follow ya.

It just makes it look like I painted my wheels black...which looks decent with the dark gray color of the Torrent
It's a plastic based coating... How is it going to look when the weather gets ahold of it and it starts peeling? you know freeze cycles and all that
Just thinking dealer would low ball because of the paint on wheels and/or grill JMO

#5 ·
fourmoremarine said:
It's a plastic based coating... How is it going to look when the weather gets ahold of it and it starts peeling? you know freeze cycles and all that
Just thinking dealer would low ball because of the paint on wheels and/or grill JMO
With 180K on a Torrent, I would think that a little bit of "plastic" hanging off the vehicle's wheels was the least of his problems ! >:D

JMO

#8 ·
I've had my grill Plasti-Dipped for over a year. I live in Waterloo and commute to Toronto each day -- 200 km round trip. No issues with the Plasti-Dip holding up in the freezing rain, snow, heat, stones off dump trucks, etc. PM me if you want some tips. It's all in the preparation. You peel it off when you no longer want it. It's a little bit of work, but it comes off without any residue. I removed it before I sold my GTI.

#9 ·
Plasti drip is a well know way to temporarily change the wheels in the Corvette Crowd. That said since the subject is mods I have chromed skins on my 17" rims to match my chrome grill overlay. All i need is the door handles (they are avaiable) chromed along with the luggae rack (also available) and mine wi look like a SLT2.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Mochaman :

Wow - that is different - putting a wheel cover over an alloy wheel ! Never heard of that. Seems pretty cheap. How do they look ? Do you have any actual, on the vehicle, pictures ?

Good way to cover up curb-rash, huh ?

#13 ·
RIT333 said:
Mochaman :

Wow - that is different - putting a wheel cover over an alloy wheel ! Never heard of that. Seems pretty cheap. How do they look ? Do you have any actual, on the vehicle, pictures ?

Good way to cover up curb-rash, huh ?
They look great just like a chrome rim. Only thing I do not like is the center cap is the OEM painted one. The supplier said he had some chrome ones but the quality was poor so he would not use them until that improves. Unfortunately no one has Chome center caps for the 17" rim but I can live with how it looks.

Here is my Grille cover

http://upgradeyourauto.com/2010-2011-gmc-terrain-chrome-grille-factory-style-chrome-grille.html

#19 ·
fourmoremarine said:
Put the skins on mine back a few months look and work great
also have the door handle covers and mirror covers
Those look good in the pics. When you get up close to them, can you tell they're installed over the existing wheels?

#21 ·
fourmoremarine said:
I'm not sure what it exactly is but others who have done it said it held up fine over the seasons. If it didn't...big whoop, i'd just take it all off.

My dad ended up getting $5000 towards his trade in without any mention of the wheels/grills.

#22 ·
alaric23 said:
I've had my grill Plasti-Dipped for over a year. I live in Waterloo and commute to Toronto each day -- 200 km round trip. No issues with the Plasti-Dip holding up in the freezing rain, snow, heat, stones off dump trucks, etc. PM me if you want some tips. It's all in the preparation. You peel it off when you no longer want it. It's a little bit of work, but it comes off without any residue. I removed it before I sold my GTI.
I was thinking about doing the wheels and whole grill with the Plasti-Dip but maybe come spring time.

For ****s and gigs I photochopped my Torrent wheels on to the Terrain...i actually like how it looks.

Call me corny but something about it makes it look "tougher" or something. Go ahead...laugh at me.

And I'm sorry but I'm a major abuser of the ellispis. (...)

#23 ·
Mochaman said:
They look great just like a chrome rim. Only thing I do not like is the center cap is the OEM painted one. The supplier said he had some chrome ones but the quality was poor so he would not use them until that improves. Unfortunately no one has Chome center caps for the 17" rim but I can live with how it looks.

Here is my Grille cover

http://upgradeyourauto.com/2010-2011-gmc-terrain-chrome-grille-factory-style-chrome-grille.html
Hmm!! Wow, the grill looks pretty darn good on there! And even the wheel hubcaps. Maybe I forget the plasti-dip and get those wheels, grill cover and door handles....or is that chrome-overkill?

#24 ·
NoobNox said:
"Durable yet comes off easily" sounds like quite a contradiction to me. Do you have any pics of what the results look like?
yeah, i guess that does sound weird. Supposedly is durable yet comes off "easily".

Here's some pics

As for the Torrent having 180K on it....it held up surprising well for that many miles. No MAJOR repairs.

#26 ·
All i have done is a total debadge, with the exception of the front grille GMC logo.

And i just realized that when i took these pics i still had the rear emblem... trust me its gone now lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.