GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intake Manifold P/N 12673301 One Appears of Rubber Compound. The Other "Almost" Looks Like Some Kind of Fiberglass Material???
Bicycle part Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part Metal Rim Eye Body jewelry Human body Eyewear Jewellery

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
You got me! I don’t see any differentiation between the two online anywhere (I looked), but it is confusing how some sites refer to it as the “Lower” Intake Manifold Gasket. I assume this is just the Upper Intake Manifold Gasket being replaced after a spark plug job?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I always use Fel-Pro gaskets.
Top quality and never had a problem, several problems with OEM especially head gaskets.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
here ya go.
did my plugs at 100,000 recently.
The replacement part was simply black in color. the original brown.
Both are stiff- not floppy .
The only rubber is around the sealing surfaces of the intake holes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got me! I don’t see any differentiation between the two online anywhere (I looked), but it is confusing how some sites refer to it as the “Lower” Intake Manifold Gasket. I assume this is just the Upper Intake Manifold Gasket being replaced after a spark plug job?
Thanks, Hero! Dealership Showed Me a Upper Manifold Gasket Kit & Then Showed Me Just the Upper Intake Manifold Gasket & They Both Looked Out of a Completely Different Material. (See Better Pics @ Bottom of This Post) Yea,"GM" Top Engine Cleaner Spray Out of "Spray Can" Then Oil Change & Spark Plugs Will "Try" to Take Before/After Pictures Been Running BP Top Tier 87 Octane & One Bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment Every 3000 Mi. So..... Hope All Looks Reasonably Clean. Always Thanks For Your Help Hero. I Gotta Lot of Respect For Your Post.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here ya go.

Yea, I Mis-Spoke as the Politicians Say, Further Investigation is One is Brown & One is "Black" ****Did You Change Any "Other" Gaskets When You Did This????

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here ya go.

RBarrios Your My Mentor/Hero. Thanks For Always Taking Time. Go Out & Buy Yourself a Beer! Thanks, Bud. I Always Respect Your Post.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Hey.. thanks.

I did not change any other gaskets when I did the plugs.
(I actually did a big 100,000 mile 'Tune up'. I also changed the Oxygen sensors, trans fluid drain, Struts, shocks, sway bar bushings and endlinks, control arms with ball joints and bushings,brake pads, Motor mount on pass side). I also swapped out the pass side CV axle because something knicked the boot and it began to fling its lube. Turns out that removing the CV Axle- made replacing 2 of the O2 sensors much easier.

Also- I also use Top Tier, Penn Platinum, and try to use a bottle of Techron every oil change. There was still some buildup on top of the valves.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
other pics of interest

I used compressed air to blow around the intake- to blow off as much debris away.
I know theres sand/dirt thats built up over the miles.
I Lift the intake up as carefully as possible.
The point is to try to keep stuff from falling in.
I also Insert the vacuum into the holes afterward to suck up anything that may have fallen in.
Ive seen a video online of something clearly falling off the intake and into the holes-- I never saw the person fish it out...

I think one of the harder parts was undoing the clips that hold down the wire looms on top of the intake.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also- I also use Top Tier, Penn Platinum, and try to use a bottle of Techron every oil change. There was still some buildup on top of the valves.
Note in DI engines, the fuel doesn't make much difference on keeping the intake valves clean since the fuel doesn't pass over them. It may still help on the injectors and combustion chamber. I recently used the Seafoam upper intake cleaner in a smokey fun attempt to clean some of the gunk. I won't know if it helped until another 90k miles when I replace the plugs next since I have zero intention to pull the intake manifold again. But wow...talk about a crap load of smoke. I've done seafoam in the past on carberatored cars that smoked...but this was on an entirely different level. Luckily there was no traffic on the street I pulled out on because you without a doubt could not see through the wall of smoke. Ran like crap for the next 2-3 minutes, then cleared up and runs fine. Can't say it is any better or worse performance or MPG now.

I used compressed air to blow around the intake- to blow off as much debris away.
I know theres sand/dirt thats built up over the miles.
I Lift the intake up as carefully as possible.
The point is to try to keep stuff from falling in.
I also Insert the vacuum into the holes afterward to suck up anything that may have fallen in.
Ive seen a video online of something clearly falling off the intake and into the holes-- I never saw the person fish it out...

I think one of the harder parts was undoing the clips that hold down the wire looms on top of the intake.
Pretty much my process I just went through. Agree on the wire looms...I broke one of the connectors and had to use a zip-tie during reassembly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey.. thanks.

I did not change any other gaskets when I did the plugs.
(I actually did a big 100,000 mile 'Tune up'. I also changed the Oxygen sensors, trans fluid drain, Struts, shocks, sway bar bushings and endlinks, control arms with ball joints and bushings,brake pads, Motor mount on pass side). I also swapped out the pass side CV axle because something knicked the boot and it began to fling its lube. Turns out that removing the CV Axle- made replacing 2 of the O2 sensors much easier.

Not Too Bad For 100K You Can Still See About 30% of the Original Texture of the Valve. Did You See My Post That 87 Octane (Top Tier) Has Approx. 17-20 mgs of Detergent Per 100ML & 92/93 Has Up to 40 mgs of Detergent. Per 100ML. I Think It Was Shell Premium Nitro V+ Had the Most Detergent. I'm Not Saying Use All the Time But, I Think I May Start Using it on Long Trips.. Keep on Motoring With Yor Bad Self.... Thanks Again For Time & Pics. Now I Know What to Compare Mine to.Will Post Pics of Valves Before & After Cleaning. Plug Job When Temps in Garage Drop to 80F. Spent 6 1/2 Years in Iraq/Afg. Don't Care For the Heat Anymore (if I Don't Have to) Again My Gratitude For Your Time

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Yes I saw your post.
I only use Top Tier fuels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts