GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 GMC Terrain The Top 2" of Headlight Lens Are Getting Cloudy... Anybody Know Anything Good to Remove Cloudiness??? Only the Top 2" The Rest of the Lens is Clear. Any Experience/Advice Would Be Appreciated. Hope Everyone is Staying Healthy & Safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had good results with a few different polishes, I used a 6" buffer to apply. Most important step is finding a good uv protectant to apply after cleaning. Headlights have a coating that breaks down and causes cloudy and eventually yellowing, if you dont reapply a new coating they will quickly fade again. I reapply meguiars every few months to keep them looking new and protected.

I would try a good cleaning, nothing too abrasive at first, and just a sealer. If it still looks cloudy then look into a kit that has an abrasive cleaner.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pretty much all of the kits that contain real sandpaper work well. The catch though is they will get cloudy again pretty quick unless you stay on top of sealing them. The factory coating is much more durable than any home application. Do not expect them to stay clear for another 10 years.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Two years ago I did the lights on my wife's 2008 Malibu.
I used Mothers NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit I purchased at Walmart.
I'll probably redo them in one year. I'm happy it lasts for three years.
I think it took a hour or two. A friend warned me not to freak out when first starting because it looks like the lens are ruined.

What is a good sealer to use?

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 2015 Equinox is similar. The top of the lenses are starting to cloud over whereas the rest is still crystal clear. I go out every 2-3 weeks and use Meguiars PlastX, with a microfiber towel and good old fashioned elbow grease, and scrub the top of the lenses. Takes the cloudiness right off in less than 10 minutes. Lasts a few weeks and then I just repeat the process. Have looked around for a sealer to apply, but haven't found anything that seems to be worth the money and effort. Scrubbing the top of the lenses with PlastX every few weeks doesn't take much time and isn't a huge deal.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Whatever method you use apply clear coat to the lenses after to keep them from clouding up again.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Orrrrr find a real good gm partsman and for a real good guy price change out whole assy and upgrade to leds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Envoy 2009 headlights were perfect when I traded for a 2020 Terrain, 186000 miles in 11 years, through a good car wash every fill up. Now the headlite bulbs were very poor, the Terrain is super Brite. My vehicles are garage kept. I'm sure the car wash and garage kept is what kept the lens clean. I'm lucky I have a good car wash and I used a lot of gas in that Envoy so I washed it offen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend Cerakote headlight restorer. I have used mothers kit, and it was worthless. I then tried Meguiars, again pretty much worthless. someone recommended to me a kit from Cerakote. Works amazing. Also has the coating to put on afterwards to keep them from clouding up again.
I would post photo's, but have since gotten rid of the vehicle.

I have also used Cerakote Trim Coat. Also works Amazing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any headlight restorer should work but not if you use the foam pad they give you. You should take out your polishing wheel. Not a buffer. The polisher works harder. Just be careful around the edges if they are close to paint. You could rub the edge of the paint off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just used Meguiars Two Step Headlight Restoration system on my 2010 Equinox back in May. Great result and the spray sealant is included. Masking off the areas around the headlights probably took more time than the actual application. I won't be able to tell you anything about longevity until next year.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Don’t use masking tape ... use that blue tape, or you might have a paint job to do after you finish your headlight lenses.

I can’t remember exactly but I used a product/kit from either 3M or Turtle Wax, bought at WalMart, for around $15-$20? I did two sets of lenses at the same time, both pretty hazy: 1997 Taurus and 2002 Impala. The Taurus lenses cleared up much better than the Impala, but that was my prediction based on their starting points. The Impala lenses are apparently lesser quality than the Taurus: 5 years younger, same exact weather conditions, and just really hazed to the point where they needed twice the effort just to get the much less-satisfyingly result!

Sometimes you just have to replace the lenses with new ones...

·
Registered
15 Posts
2014 GMC Terrain The Top 2" of Headlight Lens Are Getting Cloudy... Anybody Know Anything Good to Remove Cloudiness??? Only the Top 2" The Rest of the Lens is Clear. Any Experience/Advice Would Be Appreciated. Hope Everyone is Staying Healthy & Safe.
I used a 3M product.https://youtu.be/kt713TRwu7U

1 - 15 of 15 Posts