GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really want to know what could possibly void the warranty by putting on aftermarket wheels. Ive lowered vehicles, added engine bolt on mods like air intakes, added exhausts, and have had aftermarket wheels etc.. and never have I voided a warranty on any vehicle ive owned. Just sounds funny that by putting different wheels on, you might void the warranty.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Any modification to any vehicle takes it outside of the parameters in which it was built. Car construction today is so much tighter than it ever was in the past. So removing the tightness to any specification can have adverse affects on the car, no matter how small. The makers (all of them, not just GM) are only protecting themselves against the actions of others, which often in the past have led to extremes such as lawsuits and other actions which are not very good for the company, or all it's customers.

If a problem were too occur due to a change, not saying it will, BUT if it did why should the maker be held responsible? They shouldn't, so that's why the specific wording in the warranty contract.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As I remember it as pertaining to auto warranties:

Basically, if the Mfr can't show that the modification had a cause and effect on the warranty part under question, then they can't deny the warranty repair on the basis of that modification.

As far as aftermarket rims go, as long as you stuck to the same diameter of the aftermarket parts (wheel and tire combination) as the original, doubt there is much they could complain about.

This would assume the backspace was such that the new rims didn't drag on a caliper or some similiar problem.

Or on an exhaust system, as long as the modification was behind the cat or cats, there would be nothing they could complain about. Again, assuming it didn't rub a hole in a brake line or fuel tank or something similiar.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like was mentioned, as long as you aren't going extreme (or deviating more than 3% from the OEM outside diameter) with the aftermarket wheels, I doubt the dealership will have an issue with it. I know I've seen GM dealerships actually sell some new vehicles with aftermarket wheels they have purchased themselves (at a ridiculous markup, of course).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too have switched to various custom wheels and not had any warranty service problems. The VERY IMPORTANT POINT that was made though is... the overall size (wheel & tire together) known as ASPECT RATIO must be kept the same or it throws everything off. That means if you go with a taller rim, to keep the same aspect ratio the chosen tire must have a shorter sidewall to compensate. There are aspect ratio calculators for this that will tell you what switch out sizes equal your stock aspect ratio. Just Goggle ASPECT RATIO CALCULATOR.
The one thing that can get tricky with warranties and rims are brake issues. Factory brakes are matched up & designed to stop a certain size & weight of wheel. Bigger & heavier can make a big difference. That's one reason why you sometimes see even on factory set ups larger brakes on the larger factory wheels on any given model. I usually tried to switch to a larger wheel size that was at least offered from the factory for that particular vehicle.
The other thing is resale. I stopped putting custom wheels on vehicles because I hated having to store the stock wheels for resale value. Car dealers will almost always beat you up when you try and trade in a ride with custom wheels. It's the old add $4000 in custom wheels and tires... take the $1000 deducted off the trade in value hit.
Other things to consider... less sidewall on tire (beyond stock) equals less ride comfort (not only less sidewall to flex but lower profile tires require much higher air pressures to try and protect the rim). Bottom line less sidewall on a tire the more prone you are to a tire failure or broken rim if you hit that killer pot hole. All good things to consider. My advice is that even though the Nox would look great with a big set of DUB's... keep your stock wheels handy. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts