GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I did a search and came up with very little.)

I did not get the factory NAVI and would like to install an aftermarket NAVI unit. I have a newer one but am willing to buy another one if it will fit better. I tried the window mount but I don't like the cable hanging from the NAVI unit to the power port.

I tried a Nav-Mat mount. It blocks some of my view of the road no matter where I slide the unit. So far it's the best option.

Below the dash seems to low to keep taking my eyes off the road.

Where it really needs to go is in the pop up cover on the dash. Is there a way to remove the lid or an aftermarket lid that holds a portable GPS unit?

·
Registered
176 Posts
My Garmin uses a windshield suction cup. I mount mine as close to the bottom of the dash as I can. Since it is portable, I can easily move it from car to car. I try to center it so that I can just glance at it while keeping my eye on the road. With the voice actuated, it tells me ahead of time where I'll be turning. The GPS is a great helper when I'm trveling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use the Tomtom XXL and I have found the perfect location.
First, I purchased a cup holder mount - I suctioned the Tomtom to the mount but instead of putting it into a cup holder I put it into the storage area in front of the shifter. This allowed me to keep the navi plugged in and the cord out of the way. The Tomtom is wide enough to not move around and the cup holder mount was heavy enough to stabilize everything. Works out really well and it is clear to see and out of the way. I do not remove it, I just cover it with a black hand towel at night when I park.
It receives the gps signal fine and it's completely out of the way. Best solution for me so far.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Any pictures of where you mounted your aftermarket GPS / NAVI? Any install t

There is a thread somewhere (but I can't seem to find it) where someone did mount it to the underside of the lid of the storage compartment on the dash. There were pics of it as well.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
hfdad said:
I have been thinking about buying a dash mount holder like this one at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-IR-MAT36-Mount-Holder-Black/dp/B0029LH3O4/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I14M0SJLN09686&colid=KBN8UI8TM7KR

Any opinions on this idea.
That is similar to what I use and it works fine. If the suction cup on your mount is good then it shouldn't have any problem sticking to the smooth plastic inner disc...and the bag itself shouldn't slide around. The only drawback is that it does block a small part of your vision out the windshield, but no worse than the old-school way of suctioning it directly to the glass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts