GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am in the market for a new vehicle and the Equinox has caught my attention. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Equinox, KIA Sportage and the CR-V.

I have owned GM products in the past and can honestly say that I have never been thrilled with any of them. Switched to Honda for our last 2 vehicles and the quality was noticeably better in all departments. Awesome experiences with both of them. At one point in time I had said I would not buy a GM product ever again but I am somewhat hopeful they have stepped up their game in the last few years.

I am not overly thrilled with the current CRV looks but I did enjoy the CRV driving dynamics better than the Nox. The Nox however has a much nicer look and the interior is way way nicer.

My question is are there any other Honda owners out there that have made the switch to Chevy and how has there experience been? Has Chevy turned the corner and are they really building better quality/more reliable vehicles?

At the end of the day looks are somewhat important.....but not nearly as important as driving experience and reliability. Who has the best vehicle when it comes down to these crucial areas????

Thanks and I will look forward to everyone's opinions.

Jamie

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jamie, I wish I could say that I find GM to be as solid as Honda. And not just GM, by the way, but any of the big 3. Reliability is Honda's thing, and having owned both I can understand why.

We got rid of an S-10 Blazer that we really liked back in the 80's because of quality defects; had a lot of Chryslers and again had some issues but they were great to drive; and then got a Honda Accord EX. It wasn't as flashy or as much fun as the Blazer or the GTS Turbos, but it was bulletproof. We eventually got a second Honda, an Accord wagon. It's unfortunate that Honda got so pricey there for a while: That caused us to come back to Chrysler and now GM.

Personally I have come to believe in supporting our domestic industry. And I think the Terrain/Nox is a home run product for GM. But as I responded to someone's inquiry today who is looking at the Terrains: If you want the 4 cylinder, pay close attention to how it sounds when it starts as you look. If it clatters like a diesel on startup, hand back the keys and move on to the next example. There are several threads here on this issue, and I for one hope GM gets it resolved sooner rather than later. Granted it only affects a handful of the units produced, but try to avoid getting one that's affected.

The new Buick LaCrosse that's coming out is based on the same 4-cyl as the Terrain and Nox, and I saw a pre-review claiming 47 mpg highway with the electric boost. That's pretty amazing stuff. So efficiency in larger vehicles is where GM seems to be in front.

Every brand has its pros and cons. Honda's thing is unmatched reliability. But the Terrain and Nox give a nice size vehicle with superior mpg for their size, and are loaded with nice features for the price. And they sure have come a long way in closing the gap. So it's all about choices I guess.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
They are all hit and miss. You can't make a blanket statement that any one car company makes all excellent cars - they all have their flops. My dad bought a 2001 Acura TL brand new and had nothing but problems with it. At the time, Honda had a 5 speed auto transmission that would grendade itself every 30k-50k miles. He was on his 4th by the time he got rid of the car with 110k miles on it. (to their credit, Honda covered the first 2 replacements but not the third).

On the flip side, late 80's and 90's Hondas were top notch. They'd run 200k without any issues, but in 2011 I really don't see much of a difference quality wise in any vehicle on the road. I think the Japanese have come down a notch, while the American and Korean cars have stepped up and are now all at the same quality level.

I looked at a CR-V when buying my Terrain, but really felt it was a lower class vehicle on the inside, and I really disliked the exterior styling.

I seriously considered a Hyundai Tucson, it is nicer on the inside than CR-V, but not up to Equinox/Terrain. (They are less expensive though!). I liked that it cost a little less, but the Terrain really felt like the one for me and I am so glad that I decided on the Terrain. It's been great.

Prior to the Terrain, I had a 2008 Saturn Aura (Chevy Malibu clone) and it was a great car. Never had an issue with it while I owned it, but I get a new car bug every 2-3 years. :(

·
Registered
315 Posts
Never switched..but have been in plenty of Honda's with friends....

I just find them bland w/o any styling.

Right now if I had to choice again...

Kia Sportage SX AWD

It has a similar engine GM SHOULD'VE put into the Nox/Terrain as an upgrade to the 2.4...

gDI Turbo :)

My V6 is the first N/A car I've had..and since a test drive in the Sportage SX (luckly it was FWD so I passed)...but the power of turbos is so much nicer....then just a quick program change for Mo-Power! I would imagine you could get near 300whp/320+wtrqe w/ a Sportage SX if you just did some basics :)

But how reliable is the Kia tranny going to be w/ that kind've power behind it...I'm not sure :), and waiting a while to see how others have it workout before I jump on it I think

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Didn't exactly come from a Honda (previous car before Nox was a Mazda 6) but in the 90's I owned a 91 Prelude, 94 Acura Legend and several years ago I had a girlfriend who had a 97 Accord that I drove quite a bit. The Prelude had transmission issues (5 speed manual) as well as both electric windows quitting within 3 years, I had various electrical issues with the Acura, as well as a slight vibration in the front end at certain speeds (never could figure it out) but the Accord was pretty solid for the most part...but I do remember a wheel bearing needing replacement.

As far as GM being up to Honda level in the reliability category, I would say that it depends on the model and year. If you look closely at the Nox/Terrain/SRX you'll see that they have finally learned how to fit body panels just like the Japanese, and I think that bodes well for the rest of the car. As far as the chassis/engine/transmission..the only thing really new is the 6 speed tranny. The basic platform (Theta) dates back to 03 with the Saturn Vue, and the Nox/Terrain use a stretched wheelbase version of that, and it's been refined and improved over the years. The Ecotec engine has been around in some form or another for quite some time now, and many believe this is the best one yet. Also direct fuel injection was new for 2010, and some people have reported issues...but it doesn't affect every vehicle made. (my 2010 is rock solid so far)

The CRV was one of the vehicles I looked at and test drove before deciding on the Nox....beyond the bland looks and dated interior, I found the ride slightly harsher and quite a bit more cabin noise inside. Buying a Honda always seems like a safe bet for people looking for reliability above all else, but simply owning one doesn't mean that you can drive it forever with no problems. Just find an online forum dedicated to the CRV/Honda and you'll begin to see threads on problems you never knew existed...and that goes for any make/model out there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm the trend bucker here -- had one Honda -- will never own another. With improvements it could come up to a POS. It was one of those cars that as soon as it was paid -- the payments continued with repairs, which took forever -- were try this try that... I have owned a Chevy (multi-car family) for > 30 years... I service repair on three Chevys and 4 Saturns.... No thanks GM has always had better quality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I'm the trend bucker here -- had one Honda -- will never own another. With improvements it could come up to a POS. It was one of those cars that as soon as it was paid -- the payments continued with repairs, which took forever -- were try this try that... I have owned a Chevy (multi-car family) for > 30 years... I service repair on three Chevys and 4 Saturns.... No thanks GM has always had better quality.
Over the years I've owned five vehicles total: 2 Honda, 3 GM (including my Terrain). (In my opinion) Honda excels at the design and build of their engines. It is everything else they can't seem to get right. GM does better on the vehicle as a whole. Like I said, my opinion only.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If youre looking for a V6 engine, performance and luxury the Nox is the best I think. Even AWD with V6 its a great choice. The 4 cylinder, while I believe is still quite capable and pulls the big vehicle around just fine, I take issue with the EPA rating. Even people driving flat land are happy to report 29-30mpg, and we are only getting like 26mpg on the highway, with AC on and going 65-70mph. I would not have purchased it if I thought that were the case.

We have and the Nox is replacing a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid which has performed reliably, and efficiently. The quality on the Ford Escape Hybrid is great, just pricey for a new one. It can travel 75mph with AC on and still get 27+mpg and since it get better mileage in town the combined is higher than that. That was our old 2006. The new ones are more powerful and more efficient. Since the marjority of the travel is highway I thought the 32mpg rating on the Nox would bring use a combined close to 28 mpg, and thats not going to happen.

So I think Ford and FM can make good vehicles, sometimes any car you get is hit and miss. I would not have any hesitations about choosing an American car if reliability was the only concern. Before the Ford Hybrid (which is a wonderful integration of technology) we had a Nissan Altima that ran well and a long time until the tranny started going, and it was a babied manual. Unfortunately, America needs to catch up with performance and efficiency, other than some turbo diesels, and smaller vehicles with turbo gas engines, theres not a lot of that happening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had a number of new Toyota's and Honda's over the years, in addition to new GM's. I've also subscribed to Consumer Reports for over two decades. I know where the OP is coming from.

Both Japanese makes continue to lead in quality and reliability. But GM has significantly closed the gap on many models and the Equinox is one of them. And when it comes to innovations, design, and value, many Japanese vehicles just don't cut it. Most of Toyota's stable looks a lot alike with pretty bland styling. Honda isn't a whole lot better.

For the past three years, we regularly walk the dog around the local AutoMall loop. First is GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, and finally Ford. All the new vehicles are only a few feet away and I've had a good look at the Honda Fit, Pilot, and CRV. By the time you spend the extra $$ to upgrade to a decent trim level to match what the Equinox comes with on the lowest trim level, the cost is almost the same. Then compare the two vehicles and the CRV isn't in the same league with size and comfort. The Equinox is almost 2 tons empty and feels like a substantial vehicle when you drive it around. The CRV will bounce around and feel like a much lighter car. Side by side, the CRV just seems smaller, cheaper, and very uninspiring in looks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 96 Honda Civic CX. Great Car saw an ad on TV for the Equinox got a copy CR 2011 Car issue and started looking around. I would not buy a car that was not reccommended by CR. Love the Equinox after driving a small car it takes some getting use to. The car is nice, my Daugther says the back seat is like a couch, she loves it. The only real negative to me is the gas mileage and according to all the posts I have seen it gets better with age and the cargo room .Only have had it for 2 weeks so still trying to find my way around. The CR-V looks cheap to me on the inside, Nox much more stylish and roomy, Toyota just don't like the spare tire mount and the swing door. Hope this helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
sass said:
Hi all.

I am in the market for a new vehicle and the Equinox has caught my attention. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Equinox, KIA Sportage and the CR-V.

I have owned GM products in the past and can honestly say that I have never been thrilled with any of them. Switched to Honda for our last 2 vehicles and the quality was noticeably better in all departments. Awesome experiences with both of them. At one point in time I had said I would not buy a GM product ever again but I am somewhat hopeful they have stepped up their game in the last few years.

I am not overly thrilled with the current CRV looks but I did enjoy the CRV driving dynamics better than the Nox. The Nox however has a much nicer look and the interior is way way nicer.

My question is are there any other Honda owners out there that have made the switch to Chevy and how has there experience been? Has Chevy turned the corner and are they really building better quality/more reliable vehicles?

At the end of the day looks are somewhat important.....but not nearly as important as driving experience and reliability. Who has the best vehicle when it comes down to these crucial areas????

Thanks and I will look forward to everyone's opinions.

Jamie
my wife has a Honda Civic and I switched from a Honda Accord to an Equinox and I have really mixed feelings about it. I test drove all the models you are considering and we chose the Equinox based on its ability to handle a rear facing child seat without impacting the front seats.

The Equinox was quieter (at least cruising) and had more content than the CR-V. The wind noise and the lack of rear seat leg room in the Honda were negatives.

The CR-V engine note was more refined and is a more proven motor than the Chevy 4cyl, which is relatively new. It's also had some problems. If you choose the Chevy route I'd go with the V6.

Another factor is the weight of the two vehicles. The Honda 4 cyl felt a lot quicker (to me) pushing its 3200 lbs vs. the 3700 lbs in the Chevy.

Ultimately it comes down to your preference but if you are a stickler like me for refinement and quality I'd stick with Honda. I've had a couple of rattles in the Chevy, which I'm not used to.

That being said, Honda is releasing a new CR-V early next year so you might want to wait if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just switched from a 2007 Civic to the Nox and at this point couldnt be happier. I know hondas are known for reliability but we apparently didnt get the memo because ours was in the shop quite often. Never left us stranded but it did have alot of quirks. One thing that AMAZED us with the Honda was in 07 we paid 14,800 for the honda and the dealer gave us 14,000 (with a little bickering) on trade. Granted it did have only 30K miles and was in pristine condition but they do retain their resale value. If the Nox holds its value half as well as the Honda I would be very surprised but we didnt buy it as an investment either..LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ordered a 'Nox LTZ and have owned three Hondas including an Accord, CR-V and a Crosstour. I honestly cannot complain about any of them, either quality or reliability. None of the cars I owned ever ended up in a repair shop. I am a car junkie and never held on to them any longer than three years. The interiors of the Accord and CR-V were very practical, easy to use, but uninspired in their design. The Crosstour had a wonderfully comfortable interior and the console design was just complicated enough to hold my attention. But, I got tired of driving it...too big and cumbersome and the AWD, 6cyl combo caused me to spend a lot more time at the gas pump than its mileage ratings would indicate. Many folks hated the appearance of the Crosstour, but it was different enough for me to have liked it for that same reason. I am giving up the Crosstour for the 'Nox for more road visibility, a bit more economy, more pet friendly and the convenience of an SUV, that I miss.

Not to belabor the point about changing cars, but I've never owned a GM product before(except for two Corvettes many years ago). My parents always had Chevys, but I was too young to pay much attention. I do recall one station wagon that was black and looked like a hearse though.

I have to talk about my favorites though. A 1990 Nissan Maxima which was one of the best cars I ever owned. It never, ever needed work done. It was fast, comfortable and had a wonderful Bose stereo, technically advanced for its time. I have owned 2 Subaru Foresters, a 1998 that I drove for 5 years and put on 160,000 miles or so and a 2006 that I hated because of the stupid way it shifted. It drove me crazy. I owned a Merc Villager, and Eagle Talon Turbo that I had to give up because the little rocket became disabled in 2-3" of snow, a Ford Taurus that was as bland as bland could be, but was a good commuter car.

The most recent vehs though were the Hondas, and I am not sorry I owned any of them, but it was time for a change. I am hoping I won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
DMP00114 said:
The most recent vehs though were the Hondas, and I am not sorry I owned any of them, but it was time for a change. I am hoping I won't be disappointed.
Great vehicle summaries ! Hope you enjoy your LTZ as much as I am enjoying mine. ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts