GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Terrain 2.4L AWD that I purchased new that just passed 104K miles. I've had my share of the common problems listed on the forums here but overall have had a good experience with the car.

List of problems:

1. Engine started using oil at 32K miles. Since I check my oil regularly, I never ran low. Went from using a quart every 4000 miles to using a quart every 1400 miles now. I know that I can still get the dealer to put new piston rings in but hate to have the engine torn down if I can just keep adding oil. A lot of DI engines seem to be afflicted with oil consumption issues. I fly airplanes that use a quart of oil every 10 hours of running and that is considered acceptable as long as the compression is good!

2. Battery died and needed replacement at 53K miles.

3. AC Condenser cracked at 55K miles and was replaced (my dime).

4. HPF pump was replaced under recall 83K miles. Don't know if the original unit ever leaked or not.

5. Throttle Body Sensor issue at 87K miles. This actually happened to me while I was driving on a long distance trip. Had to pull over on the highway due to reduced power. Shut off the car and it ran normally after restart. Made it to my destination and installed a new Throttle Body myself (Advance Auto parts). No problems since.

6. Rusting of the door seams. I fixed this myself with seam sealing tape and a respray with touch up paint. This has held up quite well but the seam sealing tape is ESSENTIAL. Before this I tried just respraying but it re-rusted within a year.

My main worries now are the Wave Plate transmission issues. No problems yet but it seems like this affects a lot of these cars.

Would love to hear from other high mileage Theta owners detailing their experiences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love to see this thread continue, unless there is already another similar thread. Didn't see one though. How many miles on those Equinox / Terrains?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I have a 2015 Nov with 157x, no issues according to service records and Carfax. Bought 5 days ago and stalling issue now. Taking to mechanic tomorrow and will update.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kinda quiet around here ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
2011 I4 2.4 Terrain here with 115,000.

Had the oil consumption problem, started around 70,000, had it fixed around 90,000 last year and it has fixed the problem. Other than that I have replaced the following...

1) Battery went last January. Almost 8 years so no complaints there.

2) Changed Spark Plugs at 93,000, only because the plugs were on rebate and are easy to do.

3) Did transmission fluid at 50,000 then again at 96,000.

4) Changed belt at 95,000 and just changed bad belt tensioner last month.

5) Low Beam bulb burned out a few weeks ago, replaced both sides. Got 8 years out of the OEM.

6) Rear brake pads are getting close, but still have some life. Fronts have half their life left.

7) Other basic stuff like air filters have been replaced a few times.

Other than that the car has given me no real problems. I do worry about the transmission, since the 2010-2011 have that stupid plastic disc design on the TCM which has been known to break around 120,000 - 140,000, I guess well see what happens.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great to hear some actual input on these vehicles.. I'm wanting to get one.

Been driving my 2008 HHR Panel 2LT for over 10 years now & no issues. I replaced the battery just last year, it was still good, but going into winter I wanted to be sure..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great to hear some actual input on these vehicles.. I'm wanting to get one.

Been driving my 2008 HHR Panel 2LT for over 10 years now & no issues. I replaced the battery just last year, it was still good, but going into winter I wanted to be sure..

If you can, get the V6, significantly less problems than the 4 cyl. If you do decided to go for the 4 do not buy a 2010-2013 unless the seller has documented proof the oil consumption problem has been fixed. Even then I would be weary.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you can, get the V6, significantly less problems that the 4 cyl. If you do decided to go for the 4 do not buy a 2010-2013 unless the seller has documented proof the oil consumption problem has been fixed. Even then I would be weary.

Thank You for the input. I do want to find one w/V-6, (changing spark plugs looks to be a bit involved).
I'm reading so many oil issues with that 2.4 DI.

My 2LT HHR Panel 2.4 is a different animal I guess, it has never used a drop..

I"m searching for low mile 2016 or '17 V-6 (preferably) w/Denali package. I see several but they are not cheap.

I joined here to learn all I can as I look.. Appreciate any & all input..

Then there is choice between FWD or AWD, I know FWD should use less gas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank You for the input. I do want to find one w/V-6, (changing spark plugs looks to be a bit involved).
I'm reading so many oil issues with that 2.4 DI.

My 2LT HHR Panel 2.4 is a different animal I guess, it has never used a drop..

I"m searching for low mile 2016 or '17 V-6 (preferably) w/Denali package. I see several but they are not cheap.

I joined here to learn all I can as I look.. Appreciate any & all input..

Then there is choice between FWD or AWD, I know FWD should use less gas.

Personal opinion, unless you live somewhere that snows a lot, I wouldn't bother with the AWD. If you find a good one then go ahead, but the AWD is just more maintenance you have to do (transfer case, diff fluid) and you get slightly less gas mileage. Also the Denali's are nice, but they do come with the 19in tires. The 19's definitely look better in my opinion, but they will be more expensive to change down the road. Also the suspension system is different for Terrain's that use the 19in tires, so if down the road you have to replace struts, it will cost you more. Just something to think about.

Also here is a good video of a guy changing the plugs on a V6, it is a little more involved, but doesn't look terribly difficult.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Personal opinion, unless you live somewhere that snows a lot, I wouldn't bother with the AWD. Good info, I don't need AWD, I'm in deep South. If you find a good one then go ahead, but the AWD is just more maintenance you have to do (transfer case, diff fluid) and you get slightly less gas mileage. That is a great point, enough to care for with inviting more. Also the Denali's are nice, but they do come with the 19in tires. True. The 19's definitely look better in my opinion, but they will be more expensive to change down the road. Yes they will, I have 20's on my old C-10..

Also the suspension system is different for Terrain's that use the 19in tires, so if down the road you have to replace struts, it will cost you more. Just something to think about. Did not know that, Thanks..

Is the Terrain a sub-frame vehicle or full frame ?

Also here is a good video of a guy changing the plugs on a V6, it is a little more involved, but doesn't look terribly difficult. Thank You, I saw that U-toob previously. I think the V6 is still the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGONpPQl1P4

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes the V6 is definitely the way to go. I have a unique perspective because I own the I4 2011, but my mother owns the 2015 V6, which I have driven well over 20,000 miles on her V6. The v6 is better in everyway. The only thing I like about the I4 better is that it is slightly easier to work on since you have a lot more room in the engine bay. But even the gas mileage is almost the same. I average around 23.8 MPG and she averages around 22.1. Pretty good considering you are almost doubling the horse power.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes the V6 is definitely the way to go. I have a unique perspective because I own the I4 2011, but my mother owns the 2015 V6, which I have driven well over 20,000 miles on her V6. The v6 is better in everyway. The only thing I like about the I4 better is that it is slightly easier to work on since you have a lot more room in the engine bay. But even the gas mileage is almost the same. I average around 23.8 MPG and she averages around 22.1. Pretty good considering you are almost doubling the horse power.
Thank You for your input, you do have a unique perspective.. The V-6 is the engine of choice. But agree about less room to wrench on it.

I saw a you-tube on changing the V-6 spark plugs. Wow !! Gotta remove the intake manifold. That was a surprise. I'm trying to learn all I can about these vehicles & make a good decision in selecting one..

·
Registered
8 Posts
2015 Terrain 85,000 miles bought new

Replaced windshield wiper motor a few years ago (that is a whole other story)

Front and rear brakes and tires (almost 2 years ago)

Rear shocks last year

Current issue Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Code P0013 hoping its covered under my power train warranty.

Love the car otherwise, its all that I need.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the info, does yours have the 2.4L ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
2012 2.4 terrain. 90k miles. Slight rattle in front end I need to look into. A rare stall in reverse on a cold start (just started happening, less than a handful of times) occasional throttle body cleaning (maybe twice a year at most and was never terrible) I started changing oil closer to 3k miles because it seems the closer I get to 5k miles, the faster it burns (maybe 1qt at 3k but an easy 2 at 5k, maybe oil is getting diluted with fuel?) Motor overall is smooth and quiet, looking into replacing the timing chain asap, this forum has me paranoid as all h$!!
Overall I have no complaints, knock on wood I got lucky with mine from what I've read. Oil has always looked and smelled fine. car overall drives well, I will say eco mode makes it run like a pos so I never touch it. I had a few misfire codes in the winters but was also using eco mode intermittently, stopped using it and issue went away.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good to hear, If your oil ever smells like gas I'd be changing it ASAP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2012 Terrain, AWD, 4 cylinder.

Purchased certified pre-owned in 2014 with 24,000 mile on it. Now at 88,000 miles, which I would not consider high mileage.

Issues:

Power mirror not working immediately after purchase. Dealer took care of it.

72,000 miles. Had a very slight rattle that couldn't be heard in the vehicle. Only noticed when at a drive thru with the window down and next to the building. Was determined to be "normal". Till this point I had been changing oil at about 5,000-6,000 miles, which was when the oil life monitor showed 15-20%. (At purchase dealer noted to change oil at 10-15%). At this change interval I was adding a little over 1/2 quart around 3,000 miles.

74,000 miles. Slight rattle became far from slight. Timing chain, guides, VVT solenoids, etc. About $1300. Service claimed it was due to going WAY to long on oil chnages, and it should be done at 3,000 miles, max. Hmmm....

Also 74,000 miles, I replaced all 4 brakes. Wear was impressively even all around.

Now at 88,000 miles I am concerned with oil consumption. At about 2,700 miles on this change, when I pulled into work the other morning it was rattling softly. Oil was, very low (oil life monitor was at 55%). Took 2 quarts to get it midway between the marks, which when grabbing individual quarts at the gas station is darn near the cost of an oil change! Going to keep an eye on things much more regularly this time, then decide if it needs the dealer involved with a consumption check.

Had a day that the "Service Stabilitrack" light wouldn't go out. Was fine the next day and ever since. Was something like -20F that day. Have found multiple posts claiming the system often goes haywire at VERY low temperatures.

Also have had the occasional rough cold start. Feels like a misfire, chugs heavily, then smooths out after 5-15 seconds. No codes, replaced plugs, no improvement, but after about 2 weeks it seemed to go away. Haven't had a rough start in months now.

Overall I really like this vehicle. Nothing is great or special, but it's been good overall. Except the timing chain and oil consumption. Having owned multiple vehicles with 130,000-210,000 miles on them it seems way too soon for this sort of issue. And the Terrain is treated WAY better than several of those old trucks and Jeep (which saw lots of off road dust, mud, mild hydrolocking, frequent rev limiter action, cheapest oils known to man, etc). We'll see how this pans out. This looks like another reason I wish I had gotten the V6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2011 Terrain SLE with AWD, ~143,000 miles. I had to get a new engine in 2014 - I wasn't really on top of why other than it was covered by warranty. I recall it kept stalling, and I eventually had "reduced engine power" while luckily exiting the highway.

I've replaced the battery twice. My mpg has never been great - is currently at 17.5 mpg (over the lifetime), but I've calculated about 21-22 mpg highway.

I had some recent issues with the a/c & heat - some mechanical fixes (broken blender door), but doesn't seem to blow as hot or cold as it used to.

And finally some misfire codes I'm chasing down. Overall ok, drives well, engine can be loud, and mileage isn't great. Having to replace the engine is leading me away from a GMC next time around, and everything just seems to cost more compared to my previous car (CR-V) - more expensive tires, battery, etc. But my A/C compressor hasn't exploded, so there's that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Posts like this really have me rethinking my thought of buying a pre-18 Terrain Denali V-6.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pay attention to which engine is being discussed. The 2.4L 4 and the 3.6L 6 are light years different. The majority of concerns posted seem to relate to the 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts