GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9000 miles 5 months, Had first oil change at dealer, so far I've found no issues with the vehicle. 32mpg Hwy, 28mpg city, MS Michelin cause Road noise. Hopeful that they have most of the Terrain issues solved. My last vehicle was a 2009 Envoy SLT, 190,000 miles had no issues at all, was using a quart of oil about every 5,000 miles at the end, l hope this will do close....

·
Registered
500 Posts
9000 miles 5 months, Had first oil change at dealer, so far I've found no issues with the vehicle. 32mpg Hwy, 28mpg city, MS Michelin cause Road noise. Hopeful that they have most of the Terrain issues solved. My last vehicle was a 2009 Envoy SLT, 190,000 miles had no issues at all, was using a quart of oil about every 5,000 miles at the end, l hope this will do close....
The 1.5 engine is now fairly well proven, as I believe it has been in service since 2016 in the gen 9 Malibu. Initially there were some premature engine failures supposedly due to LSPI issues. After some revisions to the oil specifications and some modifications to the fuel trim; engine failures seem to be under control.

Don't expect a problem free 190K miles from the new small displacement, direct injected turbo engines, as they are now doing the work of older normally aspirated engines three times their displacement. This means that the new engines are highly stressed in comparison and the direct injection design contributes to carbon buildup within the intake system. Add a turbo and the related oiling and cooling issues; this translates to more premature service and repairs.

I have a Malibu with the 1.5; an Equinox with a 2.0; and an Equinox with a 3.6. I expect to have fewer service issues with the 3.6 engine in the long term. The other vehicles with the 1.5 and 2.0 will probably be replaced at the first sign of mechanical issues occurring outside of the warranty period.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
9000 miles 5 months, Had first oil change at dealer, so far I've found no issues with the vehicle.
Am I reading this right?
9000 miles on an oil change seems a bit high.
Maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Am I reading this right?
9000 miles on an oil change seems a bit high.
Maybe that's just me.
The OLM probably did suggest to the OP that it was due for service.

Personally I like to drop the initial fill at around 1500-2000 miles.

Then I change oil and filter at 5,000 miles or annually; whichever comes first.

My oil of choice: Mobil1, Extended Performance, 5W-30 for all of my GM vehicles.

·
Registered
500 Posts
No oil change was about 6,000 miles, half way to the next one. Most all my miles are highway...
Yes, your question as to if there are known issues with the 1.5; the answer is not any glaring issues. This is the fifth year of 1.5 engines, starting with the latest generation of the Malibu.

I'm pleased with our Malibu with the 1.5, but it's in a smaller/lighter package than the Equinox.

To me, the 1.5 engine's performance is marginal to adequate in the Equinox; the 2.0 engine makes the Equinox come alive, at the expense of premium fuel being recommended.

The 1.5 and 2.0 are worlds better than the prior generation (gen2) Equinox/Terrain with the 2.4 engine as far as durability and reliability.

Longevity without extra maintenance and repairs still are to be proven.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Haven’t heard of any issues with the 1.5. I was fairly happy with the one I had. It has well matched power for the Terrain/Equinox. My only complaint with it was the turbo lag. Tip into the throttle and you get nothing... nothing... more than you wanted feel. The 2.0 is better in that regard thanks to the extra displacement. The diesel better still, it feels more like an old school torquey 4 cylinder than the modern small turbo 4’s. I will say my 1.5 got excellent mpg. It was more efficient per dollar than my diesel but I prefer the feel of the diesel better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Everyone knows the 2.0T is more powerful than the 1.5T but the 1.5T really isn't that bad in the Equinox/Terrain. I have driven it back to back with a '17 Rav4, '17 Escape and '18 Tuscan and would say even the base 18+ Equinox/Terrain powertrain beats them all. There is the odd occasion where you can feel turbo lag but it isn't that often. If you value fuel economy, get the 1.5T, if you want performance, get the 2.0T. I have 45000kms on my 1.5T with no issues to date.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My daughter has an 18 LT FWD 1.5 with 6 speed. Seems like a happy enough setup, I drove it...it's not the 2.0 but it gets great MPG for the size and room and it scoots down the expressway without any difficulty.

I rented a SUV GMC Arcadia if ircc a few months ago. It was such a turd I opened the hood found it had the 1.5 with the 9 speed and AWD. It was really lacking in power and struggled to hold speed without downshifting. It was not happy and not at all something I would recommend (IMO).

My AWD 2.0 Nox is a much better match for the AWD 9 speed drive-train. Holds 9th gear well and it will move upon demand. I really dislike the premium fuel required but it's what it was setup to run so...:shrug:

My daughter runs the snot out of her 1.5, she's gotta a lead foot and her MPG is a tad less then our 2.0. Both motors have been around for a while and I'm hopeful GM has placed the 2.4 issues in our rear view mirrors. :popcorn:

·
Registered
175 Posts
My daughter has an 18 LT FWD 1.5 with 6 speed. Seems like a happy enough setup, I drove it...it's not the 2.0 but it gets great MPG for the size and room and it's scoots down the expressway without any difficulty.

I rented a GMC Arcadia I believe SUV on a business trip in Houston a few months ago. It had the 1.5 with the 9 speed and AWD. It was a turd lacking in power and not able to hold speed without downshifting. It did not seem happy not at all something I would recommend IMO.

My AWD 2.0 Nox seems like a better match for the drive-train. Holds 9th gear pretty well and it will move upon demand. I really dislike the premium fuel required but it's what it was setup to run so...

My daughter runs the snot out of her 1.5, she's gotta a lead foot and her MPG is a tad less then our 2.0. Both motors have been around for a while and I'm hopeful GM has placed the 2.4 issues in our rear view mirrors. :popcorn:
Assuming you meant Acadia. If so the 1.5T was never offered in it. Prior to this year it was either a 2.5 NA 4 cylinder or a 3.6 v6. They added the 2.0T this year.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Assuming you meant Acadia. If so the 1.5T was never offered in it. Prior to this year it was either a 2.5 NA 4 cylinder or a 3.6 v6. They added the 2.0T this year.
Didn't I make clear I was not sure...? I am sure it was a GMC. It was so bad that I popped the hood and found it had 1.5 and I believe it shifted more than 6 times so I assumed it had the 9 speed total dog.

Maybe it had an issue? just sharing my experiences driving the different 1.5 vs 2.0 setups.

What is it you are sharing ???

·
Registered
175 Posts
I thought that I indicated I was tot sure ? what model GMC it was? It was so bad that I popped the hood and found it had 1.5 and I believe it shifted more than 6 times so I assumed it had the 9 speed total dog
Would have been a Terrain which is the GMC version of the Equinox. Shouldn’t have felt any different than your daughters Equinox if anything it would be faster with the 9 speed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Daughter has FWD the GMC had AWD ok Terrain got it thanks

And no it wasn't anything close to being as happy as my daughters especially at 70mph

·
Registered
209 Posts
Let me be more specific, IMO the 2.0 barely has enough power at low RPM's to manage the 9 speed. That 1.5 is better matched to the 6 speed.

Again sharing my OPINION and I'm offering it for FREE

·
Registered
223 Posts
My GMC Terrain Denali AWD has been great. It tows great, it moves fine and from what I understand the 2.0 Turbo is great engine. Many HHR SS and Cobalt SS with 150k plus miles on them. The turbo in the 2.0 is a much better turbo than in the smaller 1.4 in the first generation of the Cruze. If you change oil, and do other maintance items should not be any issue getting to 100k with no problems and even more. In the Terrain its not working much harder because of the way the transmission is tuned. Which is one reason it can tow 3000 pounds without issue. Look up TFL on YouTube and they tow it at its max weight in hardest towing place in the country and it does great. I use to use Mobil one but now I use either Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra Platnium Synthetic which is rate on par with Amsoil

·
Registered
25 Posts
If anyone is using the OLM and going 9k miles between oil changes expect the engine to be shot sometime after warranty expiration 5yr 60k miles. 3k-5k changes for city and short distance driving folks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't say I changed the oil at 9000 miles, I have 9000 miles on the vehicle now, I change my oil when the Computer gets to about 30 percent left, I do alot of highway driving very little stop and go....

·
Registered
199 Posts
We have 63,000 on a 18 Nox 2.0t. No engine or trans issues what so ever. I change oil about 7,500 miles thats where it ends up if i change at 20 percent of life left. I expect the 2.0t to go 200,000 easy, with regular maintaince.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts