GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some pictures in this website of the instrument cluster and noticed the speedo is different than in mine..
The numbers are all the same size and smaller..

Correction compare mine (1st Attachment) with the US (2nd Attachment)

Any ideas?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
The video is done by the owner who has hacked his Terrain.
That's why the differences.
THe "hacker" has a few threads going about what he's done to moduify his DIC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
oracle said:
I've seen some pictures in this website of the instrument cluster and noticed the speedo is different than in mine..
The numbers are all the same size and smaller..
You live in Canada and the other is from US. There has always been a difference in clusters based on Canada and US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction. I don't mean the instrument display but the speedometer (Miles/hr or Kms/hr)
Look, mine has just one size numbers (1st attachment) and the US (2nd attachment) has smaller and bigger numbers (looks more complicated)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
oracle said:
Correction. I don't mean the instrument display but the speedometer (Miles/hr or Kms/hr)
Look, mine has just one size numbers (1st attachment) and the US (2nd attachment) has smaller and bigger numbers (looks more complicated)
Again refer to my first post....Go look at all the Canada Spec clusters then look at all the US spec clusters. Your car is a Canadian Spec'ed setup. Its very simple answer, and they have done this every since I remember.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Canadian spec cars use KM/H as a default cluster, American spec cars use MPH. As others have mentioned, it's as simple as that.

Now, for the obligatory jab against the USA's continued denial of the metric standard. Miles per hour is about as useful as Furlongs per Fortnight.

[Countries who don't use Metric are colored in RED]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
oracle said:
Correction. I don't mean the instrument display but the speedometer (Miles/hr or Kms/hr)
Look, mine has just one size numbers (1st attachment) and the US (2nd attachment) has smaller and bigger numbers (looks more complicated)
I am in Canada but I dont have the dual numbers. When I switch back and forth from USA to Metric the speedometer needle moves to the correct number and KPH or MPH lights up. So if I am travelling at 100 KPH and switch to MPH the needle drops to the 60ish area and the MPH indicator lights up.

Does your speedometer have same dual function as mine or does the dual numerical readout make this redundant and unnecessary?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, mine has the dual function Mp/h or Km/h so I don't know why GM would make it different...
A buddy of mine tells me difference is based on DOT related to previous lawsuits so for the same reason the brake indicator in US cars say "Brake" instead of the symbol or don't go that far, just the fuel gage in US is "E" to "F" and in other countries is an almost empty circle to an almost full circle, temp is "C" to "H", etc...

What I like of the Canadian speedometer better is that even in miles it shows the limit as 220 mp/h instead of 140 ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
It shows only one set of numbers now that I looked closer. The numbers just alternate large and small! I thought at first glance it was metric and US.

My numbers are all the same size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
As has been mentioned before, the difference is because of the different market the vehicle was purchased in. If you look at both clusters, the 100km/h in the Canadian Cluster and the 60mp/h in the US cluster is in the same place on the gauge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Mobius said:
As has been mentioned before, the difference is because of the different market the vehicle was purchased in. If you look at both clusters, the 100km/h in the Canadian Cluster and the 60mp/h in the US cluster is in the same place on the gauge.
I am in Canada too and my speedo is not like Oracles. It looks like the other one from the hack guy where all the numbers are the same size. So its not because of' market vehicle was purchased in" I am in same market and got a different looking speedo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Roesterman said:
I am in Canada too and my speedo is not like Oracles. It looks like the other one from the hack guy where all the numbers are the same size. So its not because of' market vehicle was purchased in" I am in same market and got a different looking speedo.
Ours has numbers all the same size as well.
Purchased in Canada.
Love how it flips from kmh to MPH without two sets of numbers around the speedo.
Must have two d'arsonval movements (galvonometers) or something to that effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correction, my Canuck Terrain in the speedo has the same numbers all in the same size. (Better looking if you ask me)

Roesterman said:
I am in Canada too and my speedo is not like Oracles. It looks like the other one from the hack guy where all the numbers are the same size. So its not because of' market vehicle was purchased in" I am in same market and got a different looking speedo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Roesterman said:
I am in Canada too and my speedo is not like Oracles. It looks like the other one from the hack guy where all the numbers are the same size. So its not because of' market vehicle was purchased in" I am in same market and got a different looking speedo.
Sorry it is that simple...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
scottyyyc said:
Now, for the obligatory jab against the USA's continued denial of the metric standard. Miles per hour is about as useful as Furlongs per Fortnight.
Yep, in the US using Km/Hr would be useless since all the land is plotted and already built on in miles. So your statement is backwards. Not that I'm defending the US measurement system, it stinks. Metric is so much better. We're just already setup for miles, so switching would be useless at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not impossible. In Canada we switched in the 70's. Also every other country in the crown switched too...


Narg said:
Yep, in the US using Km/Hr would be useless since all the land is plotted and already built on in miles. So your statement is backwards. Not that I'm defending the US measurement system, it stinks. Metric is so much better. We're just already setup for miles, so switching would be useless at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
To me it looks like you have the same Equinox speedo that I have in your Terrain. I don't think it has anything to do with the metric conversion. Maybe they substituted the speedo because of supply issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
fantech911 said:
To me it looks like you have the same Equinox speedo that I have in your Terrain. I don't think it has anything to do with the metric conversion. Maybe they substituted the speedo because of supply issues?
That's what I was thinking..
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top