GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2012 SRX is the first vehicle I've owned which uses E85. I don't know much about E85 or it's use. I'm told you don't get as much power or MPG. I was just wondering what experiences others may have noticed.
Bill

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I hope I NEVER have to have any experience with it. 10% is bad enough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tried it once. It was cheaper but mileage sucked.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is/can be cheaper but and a big BUT is the mileage will be a lot less. My salesman told me they figured you needed to pay 40 cents per gal less just to break even.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I looked into this last year..In an example I saw, In one year you would actually pay more for E85...price per Gal. is a little less, but you dont get the MPG's..

I have no plans to use it, myself...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yea, I've read that E85 needs to be anywhere from 40 to 60 cents cheaper to payoff. I won't be using it. I actually pay an extra 10 cents/gallon to buy 87 octane that contains no ethanol. In Iowa at least, ethanol(89 octane) is taxed less than non-ethanol blends making 87 cost more.

Ethanol is a joke. IMO, of course.

·
Registered
361 Posts
after reading this thread it seems as though E85 is as a big a joke as the hybrid vehicles. I refused to buy a diesel motor for the same reason (break even was at 110K miles towing the whole time). I did a honda civic hybrid analysis and for the extra gas mileage you would have to own that car til you had 118K miles on it to break-even for paying for the hybrid motor ONLY. maintenance was not figured in.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
eric, :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Don't forget the cost to the environment of producing all those batteries and disposing of them. Now, if the cost of a hybred or all electric car was reduced 40% - maybe I would look at one.
No one seems to look at the whole picture.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Exactly GARYD. Another example of not looking at the whole picture is electric cars, they just transfer the pollution to the powerplant in the form of more energy needing to be produced to charge the cars.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
jcarm75 said:
Exactly GARYD. Another example of not looking at the whole picture is electric cars, they just transfer the pollution to the powerplant in the form of more energy needing to be produced to charge the cars.
That depends on where you are located. In some area, night-time charging can be done with electricity generated by either Nuclear, or Hydro power plants. Electric vehicles are very beneficial to the profitability of the electric utility industry.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
RITT333, you are right, but what happens when there are millions of them on the road?? We will need to build more power plants - preferably nuclear - even though the present administration is against that.
Then what do we do with all the used up batteries??

Right now wind and solar are out of the question. Maybe a great big spring we wind up in the morning to get us to work, then another wind up to get us home. Forget going on vacation. ;D
Whatever they come up with I won't be aroud to see.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
GARYD said:
RITT333, you are right, but what happens when there are millions of them on the road?? We will need to build more power plants - preferably nuclear - even though the present administration is against that.
Then what do we do with all the used up batteries??
I can't solve the battery problem, but Electric Vehicles also has another big plus for the Electric Utilities via Smart Grid. The plan would be to have the unused electric vehicles to be able to supply power to the grid - you'll get paid for allowing your battery to generate onto the grid. There are actually some pretty exciting concepts being thrown around that I worked on with Smart Grid at General Electric.

But you are right - batteries are a different issue that will have to be dealt with in the near future. Similar to Nuclear Waste Disposal. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Isn't that pretty much the same concept with private windmills and solar panels - about selling back unused electricty to the electric companies??

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
GARYD said:
Isn't that pretty much the same concept with private windmills and solar panels - about selling back unused electricty to the electric companies??
With the vehicle's batteries, you may be supplying power to the grid during high-cost (to the utility) periods so they will pay you a pretty good premium. Also, the EV might be something that you want/need anyways, but the solar or wind turbine (Not a Windmill) is something that you might not really need. Although, if the thin solar panels were cheap enough they could replace the shingles on your roof. GE (and others) are working on this, but still too expensive. DOE is spending a lot of money on getting solar's costs down - equivalent to the JFK "put a man on the moon" initiative in the 60s. Someday...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
boy, this drifted off topic... ;D

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Sorry - got carried away.

:eek:fftopic: :hijacked:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts