GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 2010 LTZ and the sales man "sold" me the Auto Armor service. I've read on other forums less-than-stellar info about the product and service/warranty. I haven't had it put on yet. What are people's thoughts on the product? Should I choose to not get it, what recourse do I have to get a refund? I paid for it separately with a credit card.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Well I never herd of this product and i did some research looked it up on youtube. I am a skeptic so to me the first red flag that comes up is that dealerships sell it, which means they need to make money an prob buy it for $1 gallon and sell it for $$$$$$. It just seems like the regular ol paint protectant they try to sell you when u buy a new car.
Which is fine but u have to think about it long term, i have read the fine print and it says on some that u have to reapply it every so often plus properly maintain your car paint which if you own that product or not wouldn't you do so anyway lol
To me the new cars have great clear coat on them and they are meant to last if properly cared for. I have detailed cars for many years and good ol properly maintaing your car is the best way to make the paint last and the look.

Not to sure how much it costs, but read the fine print. It seems like a sealant , but remeber sealants do not always last and nee to be re applies like wax every so often.

Its really up to you on if u think its worth it. If you feel that you should at least get a jar of vaseline with the purchase because u feel like u got taken, then yea get your money back lol.If your not the type to wax the car yourself you could pay a reputable detailer in your area that will hand wax it and maybe make it better than stuff. Really depends on cost wise.

Not sure if some random dude in the back of a dealership sprays some liquid on your paint then charges you hundreds of $$ is really a good investment lol but to each his own and i might be wrong lol

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
The last several new cars we've purchased the dealers have tried to sell us this stuff or similar..at a high price..supposedly guaranteed for ten years...then last time it was for a lifetime! If I remember..priced from $400 to $600 and more even with my GM discount. My wife and I saw a Chevy Malibu freshly armored/ guarantee protected. It shined..but not a deep gloss...looked kinda plastic-like to us. They also tried to hit us at signing with a tire guarantee for more $$..then there was other expensive add ons offer on the list. They seem to add more every few years. I've been through this so many times that...no..no..no..no...and then I'm out the door..and happily off the lot!
...but...I enjoy..and would rather...polish..then wax a couple times a year with (my favorite) Meguiars and then detail spray after most washes for that deep glossy wet look. My new car sets outside all year and I often get complements on the shine..and my paint remains as good as new. I had my last car for 5 years (Solstice)and it looked much better than when it came off the showroom floor when I traded for the Regal turbo.
I suppose if you don't like to ever wax...the dealer armor protectant would do..but at greater cost than taking it to a good detailer.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Your money would be best spent on car washes and a yearly wax/polish.
If you live in the 'salt the roads' areas of the country, underbody wash is a must.

NuFinish has been rated the best for many years. It's supposedly a once a year polish.

Not the 'shinyist' finish, but it lasts the longest.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
dwendt44 said:
NuFinish has been rated the best for many years. It's supposedly a once a year polish.
Thats cool the NuFinish is still around. I always have seen it on shelves for as long as i can remember! Must be a great product, just checked out their website which has good info. I have always been a Meguiar's user, but will have to test the Nufinsh out for a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FROM OP

It covers exterior, interior (leater seats and carpet), and undercoating. I live in Iowa and we use a salt/sand mix on roads during our sometimes harsh winters. Plus we have a kid on the way and want to avoid permament stains on the leather. The guy did mention it is for rust-proofing on the inderbody.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You can 'scotch guard' the carpet and treat the leather seats yourself. Check around for the undercoating IF you think you really need it.

Few cars get Zebart or other undercoating these days.
It will however, if they do it right, reduce road noise a bunch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used to detail cars professionally for an acura dealer. Depending on the car, the price was anywhere from $399-$799. It is considered a paint sealant and isn't worth a ****. Its a glorified wax which cost the dealership $8.00 per kit (bottle of sealant and a bottle of renewal). They claim it protects against.damage from bird crap and acid rain. When we bought my wifes 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD, we didn't see that it was already applied and added to the price of the car. Nissan dealer added $350 to the price and said since it was already on, that they had to charge us for it. After explaining to him that I worked at a car dealership for 4 years and was very familiar with the product, the new car manager took it off the price without question. Get your money back and buy a bottle of good wax for $10 and enjoy a much better shine and protection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I literally just posted about this stuff in my last post...

I own my own detailing company and they wanted like $500.00 plus to do this and the lady told me I would never need to wax my car and hardly ever need to wash it.

Long story short I basically laughed my ass off at her and told her I was a detailer and she was trying to sell the wrong person. This is just after I declined the remote start and the total care paint protection for "Free" dent and ding fixed for the first year or so of ownership... she was getting pretty pissed at this point and it wound up being a heated debate for 20 minutes that almost resulted in me walking out without the car...

This stuff is no better IMO than a sealant wax that will outlast a carnuba wax but the idea of never having to wax a car and washing it maybe once a year... Yeah, and I am Elvis, I never died, I'm still alive, very old, and spend my free time posting on equinox forums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I lucked out. The deal was for a 3rd party car shop to do the Auto Armor work. After 3 weeks and 2 calls to the dealership, that shop never got in contact with me. I asked for a refund, and after 2 additional sales pitches from the sales rep and the shop :banghead:, I got my money back. I was almost to the point of challenging it through the credit card I charged it to.

After thinking about it more, it sounded like a bum deal. $999 for either 5 or 7 years of protection warranty. They would apply the stuff in the shop then send me home with touch-up material I can apply myself. Heck, if they give me the stuff to do it with, what am I paying them for? I'm glad this episode is over. Now I can put that money to the retaining wall I'm going to build in the back yard. :banana: :happy: :banana: :happy:

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I always love to watch sales people stutter when I ask em "if that stuff is so good why don't you have it on your car"?
Lol anyways

Happy to hear you got your money back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bowtieman said:
I always love to watch sales people stutter when I ask em "if that stuff is so good why don't you have it on your car"?
Lol anyways

Happy to hear you got your money back!
One of his selling points was that he puts it on all his cars and tells his family to use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just bought a new Terrain last week and the sales guys really pushed a "Dupont Protection system"....after the sale was done....for $513.....and here in S. Texas we don't have any salted roads, etc....so it wasn't even for an undercoating....just a paint protection (with "linking fibers" technology) and a "scotch guard" type of seat protector.

Man...this is pure snake oil....I can do a 5 step Meguiar's program and with the final step (Ultimate Wax) also have "polymer linking fibers" (any good wax/sealent has these)........for alot less than $513 dollars and protect the paint better (better cause I will maintain it)....also...on our premium cloth seats....will use a fantastic product....a type of "scotch guard" that I can either buy locally and/or order online called....303 High Tech Fabric Guard.....(found on autogeek.com).....

Do what you want but I really believe that after-sale stuff like that is basically selling the customer a warranty.....but not necessarily a very good product. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
These coatings are pretty much just add on sale and a money generator for dealers.

There are much better things you can do yourself for a lot less that will do a better job.

Most if not all dealer add on items are just there to generate money. I would only recomend mudflaps if you can't put them on yourself. The rest anyone should do themself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts