GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used the do it yourself car wash but we have a brand new drive through auto wash in town now. I was wondering if the antenna is a problem when using these auto washes. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just a general comment, I don't like the idea of anything mechanical touching the vehicle. Touchless may be ok

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Haven't had issues with the antenna.
Just climb up there and make sure it's good and tight before the first drive through then maybe a couple times a year.
Fold your mirrors in if going thorugh a full contact wash, IMO!

Our drivers side window chrome has some swirl marks on it, not very noticeable but there nonetheless.
I think it's from a pretty aggressive "PetroCanada" auto wash that tends to fold the mirrors in, yes we forget until it's too late sometimes LOL!
We prefer the soft touch or touchless washes but sometimes we go for the full deal.

Of course we hand wash when possible but seeing it's pretty darn cold out right now, it's not for us!

·
Registered
114 Posts
only go TOUCHLESS. you never want to go to a mechanical one. if you ever see the type of vehicles that go through them, you can only imagine the grit that is in those brushes.

as it's winter here, i have taken my NOX through countless touchless washes without issue. The one by my house even has a gaurantee that if not fully clean, they'll wash it by hand for you.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A carwash near me is brushless and mostly touchless...but there are microfiber strips that go over everything with a gentle wavelike motion. There are also attendants which direct cars/trucks that are muddy or too dirty to a separate line where they are hosed down prior to going in the auto-wash. I find that "touchless" washes are fine for cars that are just dusty or a little dirty....but if it's been a while since your last wash then all the bugs/bird droppings may not come off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
NoobNox said:
A carwash near me is brushless and mostly touchless...but there are microfiber strips that go over everything with a gentle wavelike motion. There are also attendants which direct cars/trucks that are muddy or too dirty to a separate line where they are hosed down prior to going in the auto-wash. I find that "touchless" washes are fine for cars that are just dusty or a little dirty....but if it's been a while since your last wash then all the bugs/bird droppings may not come off.
good luck with those strips. I have had two friends, one with a black silverado, and one with a white mercedes go through those. Both vehicles and marks on them now.

A quick brushless wash will do in between hand washes, IMHO well worth keeping my paint in new condition.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's my advice to anyone that wants their vehicle finish to look good for years from now. I design and build carwash equipment.

Mechanical brush type car washes are out of the question.

Touchless may be less abrasive but often they do a less than ideal job and use harsh chemical cleaners as a substitute for mechanical action. That plus the higher pressures of a touchless is also bad for the finish. Pressures need not exceed 1200PSI-1500PSI for complete cleaning.

I avoid even foaming brush wands in self-serve washes since they trap grit and sand and scratch your finish. I use them on tires only. You can't clean them completely even if you try.

The best wash for your vehicles finish and is a quality self-serve and your own sponge. PERIOD!

And no worries about the antenna, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awesome information. It crossed my mind, but this thread has spot on info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wash myself during the warmer months but during the Winter when my black Terrain gets completely white with salt after 5 minutes of driving, I take it to a 100% touchless car wash. They have a bunch in the area, called "laserwash". You pull in and a mechanical arm goes around the entire car spraying on soap and water, and then drying the entire thing. No touching at all. Sure it's not as good as a hand wash at home and doesn't get EVERYTHING, but when you get one day every 3 weeks that's above 35 degrees, you have to take the opportunity and wash off 50 pounds of salt. ;D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
KANWAR said:
good luck with those strips. I have had two friends, one with a black silverado, and one with a white mercedes go through those. Both vehicles and marks on them now.

A quick waterless wash will do in between hand washes[/color], IMHO well worth keeping my paint in new condition.
OK, I'll bite.
What's a "waterless wash"?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
KANWAR said:
ha! typo. meant brushless[/color].

Actually, know that i think about it, i have seen 'waterless' washes in a bottle at the local parts store. You spray it on and wipe it off. **** idea.
Ok thanks, that makes more sense!
;)
We have a pretty good touchless wash with "tire blaster" that cleans the wheel wells pretty good at a local Shell station.
I tell the wife to take it there, but I'm the dum dum who takes it to the Petro Canada because I can get free washes with Petro Points.

No more Petro Canada washes for our Terrain!
;D
I don't think the Petro Canada washes are all the same but the one near us is rather harsh, IMO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
gearhead said:
Ok thanks, that makes more sense!
;)
We have a pretty good touchless wash with "tire blaster" that cleans the wheel wells pretty good at a local Shell station.
I tell the wife to take it there, but I'm the dum dum who takes it to the Petro Canada because I can get free washes with Petro Points.

No more Petro Canada washes for our Terrain!
;D
I don't think the Petro Canada washes are all the same but the one near us is rather harsh, IMO.
agreed, I use a local company Wash World. They have great washes here in the Vancouver area. You mentioned Petro Can, where in Canada are you from?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
KANWAR said:
agreed, I use a local company Wash World. They have great washes here in the Vancouver area. You mentioned Petro Can, where in Canada are you from?
We're in SW Ontario, just outside of Windsor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ironranger said:
I've always used the do it yourself car wash but we have a brand new drive through auto wash in town now. I was wondering if the antenna is a problem when using these auto washes. Any feedback would be great, thanks.
If you are worried about the antenna, you could unscrew it and put it back after the wash.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Gearhead and KANWAR, there is a product for motorcycles discribed as a waterless cleaner/wax. You sprey it on and wipe it off. It says it suspends the dirt away from the finish so you can wipe it away. It does a great job, but I wouldn't use it on a very dirty car/bike. It would be too costly to do a whole car. ;D
Harley, Honda, Amsoil and others sell there brand. I think they're all made by the same mfg.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
GARYD said:
Gearhead and KANWAR, there is a product for motorcycles discribed as a waterless cleaner/wax. You sprey it on and wipe it off. It says it suspends the dirt away from the finish so you can wipe it away. It does a great job, but I wouldn't use it on a very dirty car/bike. It would be too costly to do a whole car. ;D
Harley, Honda, Amsoil and others sell there brand. I think they're all made by the same mfg.
Thanks GARYD, will have to check them out!
8)

·
Registered
143 Posts
GARYD said:
You can get Dri Wash'n Guard and that is waterless. It IS an excellent product. I have used it for years on many vehicles. However, I DO hose down the worst of any dirt on the paint before using.

Obviously in winter using it is out of the question, but the glossy finish it leaves behind makes removing salt and crud very easy with an ordinary pressure wash at the local car wash.

You can try this link..or just go to EBAY and type in Dri Wash'n Guard....plenty of listings there, and the new "Ultra Ion" product is more suitable for our Nox's and Terrains...

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dri+Wash%27n+Guard&_sacat=See-All-Categories

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Does that come in spray cans and did you do your whole car or just a section? If so how many cans did it take. I would think a car wash would be cheaper. ;D
It's hard to think something like waterless cleaners work, but they do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
GARYD said:
Does that come in spray cans and did you do your whole car or just a section? If so how many cans did it take. I would think a car wash would be cheaper. ;D
It's hard to think something like waterless cleaners work, but they do.
The actual product comes in plastic bottles, (16, 32, and 64 oz) which you transfer in part to a pump up spray bottle.....then you spray the product onto a section of the vehicle, wait for it to dry, then polish it off...all very easy. The more times you use the product, the shinier (and thus easier to hose off) the vehicle becomes.

One bottle of 32 ozs will do for many applications. Works great on the glass as well.

The Ultra Ion is preferable for later model vehicles, but the Classic version is almost as good, but does not repel "dust" as good as the Ultra Ion Product...

Its a good product IMHO........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts