GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1 coming home with our new 2011 LT2 Equinox...antenna won't fit thru opened door.

After scanning the website, I have five options:

1) Remove antenna, possibly sacrificing AM/FM reception, AM reception, or no reception?
2) Mark II VG Shark Fin with improved reception??? for 85 clams? True/False?
3) adjust the stops on my garage door to bring the door to horizontal, if possible? (doesn't look good)
4) It's my wife's new car....make her park it outside, utilize the remote start, and tell her to suck it up.
5) Three Stooges intervention...take saw to bottom of the door and create a little dog/Nox hatch.

Anyone with some bright idea(s) will be appreciated....tk in RI

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
tk3 said:
Day 1 coming home with our new 2011 LT2 Equinox...antenna won't fit thru opened door.

1) Remove antenna, possibly sacrificing AM/FM reception, AM reception, or no reception?
3) adjust the stops on my garage door to bring the door to horizontal, if possible? (doesn't look good)
4) It's my wife's new car....make her park it outside, utilize the remote start, and tell her to suck it up.
5) Three Stooges intervention...take saw to bottom of the door and create a little dog/Nox hatch.

I vote for number 5 or chop out concrete and lower garage

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
tk3 said:
I had the same problem. I needed it to be about 1 1/2" shorter. I took a piece of bent metal, and used electrical tape to attach it to the antenna - essentially putting a bend into my antenna. Presto - the antenna is about 1 1/2" shorter, and I am not annoyed by it springing back when I back out of my garage. Cost = $0 It had been bugging the crap out of me, and I didn't want to spend the $80+ dollars.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You could always sell the house and buy a new one with a taller garage door. ;D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Standard garage door height is 8"0" with an opening height of 84"-90". Since you say it's the door it hits and not the opening, then just adjust the door so it opens more and the bottom lip opens flush with the opening. The Nox with it's antenna is less than 86"

I was worried about door clearance when I put a high rise truck cap on my 4X4 Sierra, but it still cleared by about 3" when I have the door adjusted to flush with the top of the opening.

·
Registered
378 Posts
2010Nox said:
Standard garage door height is 8"0". Since you say it's the door it hits and not the opening, then just adjust the door so it opens more and the bottom lip opens flush with the opening.
That's what I was thinking - did older houses have not as tall garages or is it the way door opens? I have no issues in my house built in mid 80s

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
equinox2 said:
That's what I was thinking - did older houses have not as tall garages or is it the way door opens? I have no issues in my house built in mid 80s
My home is a "Split-ranch". It has a bedroom over the garage, and a 6 1/2' garage door with a track that makes it bend very quickly. The garage door is adjusted up as high as possible and it still didn't clear the antenna - hence my need to modify my antenna. I suppose, I could have run my tires at 5 PSI to clear the door, but I think my fix was "cheaper". FYI - I picked up 3 different shorter antennas from the GenVibe forum, but none of them had the correct thread size to fit the Equinox - oh well !

·
Registered
378 Posts
I see I always thought garage doors were 7ft - didn't realize some were 6.5

·
Registered
306 Posts
All I know is should you choose #4, you need your head examined. ;D ::)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would go with #2 just because I think it looks nicer, though #4 sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for a great laugh!

·
Registered
378 Posts
LOL I totally missed #4 thx for point that out, hilarious!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I choosed #3 ans it works perfectly, i am also able to completely open the trunk at full height without hitting.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My house was built in 76 and the garage doors are more than tall enough for both the antenna as well as fully opening the hatch when inside. Maybe the original owners had an old Suburban, Cherokee or something and had taller doors put in? The cieling of the garage is 8ft just like the rest of the house btw..

·
Registered
1 Posts
tk3 said:

I did all but number 4. Yes, I did cut away the door trim while waiting for the antenna, number 5!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2010. I purchased the Shark Fin and instaLLed myself. I have great reception and it looks great.

·
Registered
378 Posts
DAugust said:
I had the same problem with my 2010. I purchased the Shark Fin and instaLLed myself. I have great reception and it looks great.
Do you think you can upload some pictures? Does the color match well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the same problem, but I don't really want to drop $70 for the shark fin. Has anyone tried a stubby antenna?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are the Shark Fins easy to install or do you have to get them installed by a pro?

·
Registered
626 Posts
The shark fin looked trivially easy to install.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mnussbaum said:
The shark fin looked trivially easy to install.
Awesome. I may pick one up. I will be using the roof racks in the summer and it's probably better to avoid an issues with the antenna.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts