GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 GMC Terrain -
Need VERY short antenna. Shark antenna is too tall.
Need to put Thule carrier on roof rack but antenna is at least six inches too tall and Shark antenna is about 2 inches too tall. Somehow I'm sure that other people must have this same problem!!!
I tried to find a threaded stainless bolt to replace antenna temporarily while using the Thule carrier. Home Depot did not have matching thread pattern bolts.
Does anyone have a better idea to solve this problem - other than simply removing the antenna completely? I know the bold is a horrible solution but my limited understanding of RF tells me that a metal object/bolt that is the length of the frequency wave used by Sirrius might suffice. If I can match threads I can experiment by cutting the bolt down or screwing it in with a nut (stainless steel or aluminum of course!).
Any help is welcome.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I'm not familar with the dimensions of your carrier but is it not an option to have the carrier positioned slighly foward from the antenna as the crossbars are adjustable? Or for width, can you position the carrier on one side of the antenna?

Also, if its only Sirius reception your concerned about, the antenna (making reference to the flexable stem) is for am/fm reception only. OnStar and the Sirius receptor plates are inside the moulded mount that is directly touching the roof. So removing the flexable antenna portion won't affect its reception.

Further more, if you cover over the 'base' with your carrier, you may experience no Sirius reception, just like driving along side a tall building or under a bridge, you loose reception after a few moments. OnStar and Sirius function better with no interference.

Hope that helps you somewhat, just my 2cents ;)

Welcome to the Forum by the way, don't be afraid to introduce yourself ;) others may be more receptive to your problem.

Happy Motoring![/color]

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the same problem right out of the gate with my 2010 Equinox LT. Around here (Montreal, Canada) we put up temporary car shelters in the winter (we nickname them tempos). The bottom of the trusses are 74" high. I was therefore caught with the antenna issue. I brought my antenna to Home Depot in the metric section of the bolts and found a compatible bolt.

Went on ebay and got one of those stubby "carbon fiber" color subby antennas. About the length of a cigarette. I had to get the extra bolt because the choice of bolts with the antenna did not cut it. I cut the bolt to length, put a rubber washer to stop water from going into the tiny holes of the base, and voila. Yes AM is a little flakey at time. I do not have XM or OnStar on mine so all is good.

My Thule ski rack is high enough to not disturb it so good to go.

I can take some pics if anyone is interested.

;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wtacar and POLARCUB,
Both responses were very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
POLRCUB - my Thule carrier is one of those very long and wide units that will cover the antenna location no matter how it is mounted, but the info about reception was very important for me to understand - bottom line is that I won't get either XM or AM/FM when the Thule's installed unless I install a magnetic external antenna somehow connected to the Terrain's antenna base. Anyone have any ideas for how to get this done?
wtacar - I also went to home depot but couldn't get a match in either the metric or SAE section. Perhaps I'll try a LOWES or another more hardware store with a more complete selection of bolts. BTW, your idea about cutting the bold down and sealing with rubber washer is exactly how I plan to do it. At least you've given me faith that I can find the correctly threaded bolt!!!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
wetash said:
wtacar and POLARCUB,
Both responses were very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
POLRCUB - my Thule carrier is one of those very long and wide units that will cover the antenna location no matter how it is mounted, but the info about reception was very important for me to understand - bottom line is that I won't get either XM or AM/FM when the Thule's installed unless I install a magnetic external antenna somehow connected to the Terrain's antenna base. Anyone have any ideas for how to get this done?
Glad to help, as long as you understand that mounting a magnetic antenna off to the side, (you could use an 'eyelet' wire connector for the end of the antenna wire that you would have to bolt to the exsisting base with the proper bolt) that will not give you your XM, just am/fm.[/color]

·
Registered
185 Posts
UPDATE:

Well I tried and find the screw size but was unsuccessful. so...here is the steps I took. I took the antenna to Home Depot and tried to find a nut that fits the Equinox antenna screw. I "believe" it was a M6. Took that nut and found the screw that goes with it. Bought 2 just case I scrap one ;D.

Ordered a stuby antenna from ebay (# 170751772770). The same model is sold in a great number of colors. Since I am not driving a Hot Wheels car I chose black. The screw does not go very deep into roof so I cut what I needed from the bolt. Added a rubber washer to cover the tiny holes, used the supplied spacer and screwed the whole mess together.

Hope it helps. ;D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
wtavcar said:
UPDATE:

Well I tried and find the screw size but was unsuccessful. so...here is the steps I took. I took the antenna to Home Depot and tried to find a nut that fits the Equinox antenna screw. I "believe" it was a M6. Took that nut and found the screw that goes with it. Bought 2 just case I scrap one ;D.

Ordered a stuby antenna from ebay (# 170751772770). The same model is sold in a great number of colors. Since I am not driving a Hot Wheels car I chose black. The screw does not go very deep into roof so I cut what I needed from the bolt. Added a rubber washer to cover the tiny holes, used the supplied spacer and screwed the whole mess together.

Hope it helps. ;D
Indulge us!!![/color]

:worthless:

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the record, 1/4-28 works. Very similar to M6x1.0, although pitch gage actually puts it at M6x0.9.

I know this is a dead thread, but I had the same question and could not find the answer here.
Finally took it off and checked it with mic & pitch gage. Posted the results for other unfortunate souls with the same problem.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Maybe unscrew existing antenna and put black heat shrink tubing on exposed threads? Heat shrink tubing from Radio Shack.

Radio reception and On Star may not be that much weaker? Just a thought. Shark will be the same for reception, a little weaker, but not damaging.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
teetertotter said:
Maybe unscrew existing antenna and put black heat shrink tubing on exposed threads? Heat shrink tubing from Radio Shack.

Radio reception and On Star may not be that much weaker? Just a thought. Shark will be the same for reception, a little weaker, but not damaging.
I would think that you would want a metal to metal connection from antenna to the base. Maybe wrapping it with aluminum foil maybe fill in the thread gap, if needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts