GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was able to post a somewhat comprehensive list of what does and doesn't work with some advice on another forum. I've seen the posts enough here to want to add it.
If you want to know the kind to use and what it can do, here you go! This was in response to a user's inquiry as quoted.

INQUIRY Originally Posted by Great Mazinga
I tried searching and checking on the internet but I can not get a straight answer. What is the largest size drive you can plug in to the USB port on the Equinox. I'd rather buy a cheap external Drive and leave it in the car instead of my Ipod. Plus, the External HD's are way cheaper than the larger flash drives. I apologize in advance if this has been asked already, I just can't seem to find the answer!

ANSWER
The trick is that it's not the max GB that you have to pay attention to. It's the amount of files that it can register.
Ex: I had the same idea. I have about 8-9,000 music files. It's just easier to carry a copy of my library on a portable in that wonderfully deep storage area.
For the price, I bought a large GB because the deal was equal to smaller ones. I can carry other stuff for other computer uses if I desire. However, for the music only a max of 10,000 files will be read by the system. Don't let drive size be your primary factor. It's the number of files that you expect to access that matters.

The other points you have to be aware of:
1) It reads the standard FAT32 file format vs. the NTFS/MS?? format just for windows. However, you can always easily reformat a drive without harming anything. Many come with FAT32 as the standard like flash drives.

2) Some portable drives require extra power to work; they come generically with USB connectors with 2 adapters on the single cord. From experience, I've
tried 2 drives in my car. One of them powers fine with the USB connector alone that does both data and power. The other, however, requires addt'l power so both USB plugs must be used (one in the data/power port and the other in the power adapter below for which I have an addt'l power to USB adapter in it for this purpose).

3) The system reads folder/subfolder lists and the files in those. How you seek music will depend on how you are comfortable looking through. If tags work for you, then you are fine. If you prefer to search via folders that you have set up (as I do), then you need to remember to have folders set for reasonably easy searches on the content. Just check it out, and you'll get an easy feel for it. Playlists (as it says folder/playlists) appear to be only applicable from an ipod playlists and not anything you can make up with something like Wdw's Media players as those playlists are path specific.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear or you want to know more. I've played with it and researched it a lot myself!

UPDATE to this original list from months ago: I have the Nav screen. "Navigating" the usb or hard drive can be very difficult with a lot of files as it will scroll through all of the files and not only show sub-folders. I can't imagine what it must be like if you don't have the Nav screen as I remember the player from test drives of models without the Nav system. Instead, a subfolder is like a heading then all files list that are in it and then the next subfolder and its files, etc.... This is just a heads up to everyone. ALSO, PLAYING TO THE END OF A FOLDER DOES NOT take it to the next folder. It starts over withing the folder or stops depending on your settings. It's not the most intuitive interface. Depending on what you want, you might be better buying a few cheap flash drives and putting music on them according to genre or whatever you want. Just a thought. This is input after months of using it now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So with a portable hard drive, does it separate the sub folders on the the screen(artists, albums, playlists, etc)? I have the 7" screen(no nav). With my ipod classic, it separates everything like that but I have 1 issue...when I want to listen to a whole album in it's proper track order - the screen lists and plays the tracks in alphabetic order rather than the album order. Which I hate, cause I'm a little old school and like to listen to the songs in the order intended by the artist.

I'm pretty sure it's something with the ipod classic and usb/stereo not communicating properly. If plugged into the headphone jack the ipod shows everything in the proper order. My iphone puts the album tracks in the right order when plugged into the usb on my Nox.

So I'm looking to see if there's another mass storage drive or something that might work better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I hat tags...
2) I prefer the folder method of playing songs like on the computer..I go where I want and play what I want that way.

I wanted to be able to set one folder with many subfolders (example folders, Main/5 particular artists subfolder/each artists folder with their songs. This is what I have and use via the computer or phone.

Unfortunately, you cannot play a "folder" or a group of folders. You have to go to a particular file in a folder and play it only getting the songs then in that particular subfolder.

When I copy the music collection set up like this onto my portable drive, this is what you see on the Nav screen when you choose the FOLDER view: _Main
any non-foldered files
_Subfolder 1 (names for group of artists)
_Subfolder 2 (individ. artist folder)
song file
song file
however many files....
Subfolder 3 (individ. artist folder)
song file
song file
_Next MAIN folder
etc....

I cannot choose to just play Subfolder 1 or even MAIN folder; you have to choose a file and can only play the files contained in that subfolder. Also, I think it does only play in alphabetical; however, I can't remember that for sure. You would have to adjust a lot of tagging to get that to change.

It's NOT the most practical setup for playing music which is a shame. It's not like that hard to have set up. My cheap mp3 player can do that when it reads the same setup on it - and I do mean a cheap flash player.

It is, unfortunately, very frustrating to find a particular song or album I may want with this many on a drive and the available navigation. If I'd known this I would not have cared to have it for my car and just stuck with my mp3 cd's....

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Om my 2012 LT, no Nav - my iPod video 5th gen hooked up to the USB port, the playlists show OK, but artists, albums, etc. only show "indexing".

·
Registered
22 Posts
GaryPSU said:
Om my 2012 LT, no Nav - my iPod video 5th gen hooked up to the USB port, the playlists show OK, but artists, albums, etc. only show "indexing".
My iPod classic does this as well for awhile when 1st plugged in. If you have alot of music, it takes awhile after being plugged in for them to all load up & show up. Eventually they do though. Have you waited a decent amount of time for them to load? My iPhone does the same but doesn't take near as long because I don't have as much music on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have more than 7,000 songs on my iPod. Does the the Artist and Song list indexing start over each time the iPod is connectd to the USB port? The Equinox is my wife's daily driver. She prefers that the audio system not default to the iPod, so it is not usually connected to the USB port.

·
Registered
22 Posts
GaryPSU said:
I have more than 7,000 songs on my iPod. Does the the Artist and Song list indexing start over each time the iPod is connectd to the USB port? The Equinox is my wife's daily driver. She prefers that the audio system not default to the iPod, so it is not usually connected to the USB port.
Yes it does reload each time its unplugged- I assume to update any changes on the iPod.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
GaryPSU said:
I can also look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 8GB Zune (yeah I know) while it does work and GM has it listed as supported device, it intermittently stops working, and requires me to reboot it. Is anyone else having this issues, with the Zune or any other player? I don't recall ever having problems like this when I was using it with just the headphones, but then again the Zune is a very buggy device

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
CFRTim said:
My 8GB Zune (yeah I know) while it does work and GM has it listed as supported device, it intermittently stops working, and requires me to reboot it. Is anyone else having this issues, with the Zune or any other player? I don't recall ever having problems like this when I was using it with just the headphones, but then again the Zune is a very buggy device
Have your brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I would recommend contacting them to be sure that it is not a concern with the vehicle. Please keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Folks I grabbed one of my 16gb usb flash drives (fat32) and threw on some music. Plugged it into the nox and after started right up. Did some usb indexing which I expected.

However the next time I started up my nox (not having touched nor removing the flash drive) I saw "...USB Indexing...".

I thought if it wasn't removed (and plugged back in) that it wouldn't have to re-index.

Input ?

Polar Bear

·
Registered
43 Posts
I currently have a 36 Gig USB drive in my 2011 Equinox which works fine but because of the size it does take a while to index which can become a royal pain if you stop and go a lot.
I have a 8 gig Creative Zen Mp3 player I use sometimes but my biggest gripe with that is that it often doesn't save and go back to the song I was listening to when I stop and go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased the LTZ Equinox with NAV and when the sales representative was demonstrating the functions of using a USB flash drive to play her personal music, it noticed on the screen that while playing the music, the background changed from the default color to a wallpaper of the album art? I couldn't make out what artist or album cover it was but it was definitely something other than the default. So I tried uploading music to my USB flash drive with the album art inbedded into each MP3 file and even the cover.jpg to the folder. It plays the music just fine but the background never changes or displays the album art. I asked the sales representative what program she used to upload her music to the USB flash drive and she didn't know. One of her kids created it for her to use to demo for customers. I have been trying to find anything related to this subject with no luck. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jaywalker,

My display screen (Non-NAV) shows the album art via usb, but does not change the wallpaper. Within Itunes, all I did was make sure each mp3 had an album art assigned to it. I never attempted to change the wallpaper to match the album. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought the same thing, but I used an ID3 Tag editor to assign the album art to each MP3 file and still nothing. I also thought it might be a radio or display settings, but I've gone through all the settings and if there is some setting that enables this feature, i so can't find it. It's driving me crazy that I can't figure something so simple out. :banghead:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I've narrowed it down a bit. What I thought was the album art is actually a "genre" image depending on the type of song being played. It must be pulling this info from the ID3 tag from the MP3 file. I also suspect this feature isn't on the NAV version. Come to think about it, the sales rep demonstrated it on one of the non NAV NOX's and I must have assumed that it would also do this on the NAV version. I have sent an email to the sales rep to verify this theory and will update with her response.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts