GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the manual about ANC. It says for optimal performance do not block the rear speaker located on the right side of the cargo area. The NOX sure is a quiet vehicle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have had my Nox for 6 months and over 4000 miles. The ANC seems to work ok. I say this because I have no idea what it would sound like without the ANC.
Does anyone?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the 6 cyl's have ANC but I haven't driven oneof them. All I can compare to my Nox is my Saturn LS1 with a simliar engine and the vehilce which my Nox replaced my 2003 VUE with a similar engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 4cyl FWD 1LT and am curious if they all have the ANC feature. I have read that if so without the upgraded stereo the sub will only perform the ANC operations. I only ask because I didn't think there was a subwoofer installed in the rear at all and wanted to add one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think my 4cyl has this feature... but I can't here the nox or the road cause I got the upgraded pioneers ;)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It is my understanding that all 4cyl Noxes and Terrains have the ANC regardless of which stereo package you have.

·
Registered
297 Posts
NoobNox said:
It is my understanding that all 4cyl Noxes and Terrains have the ANC regardless of which stereo package you have.
ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION (ANC)

The Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system works to reduce the amount of noticeable noise at certain vehicle speeds and is standard with the 4-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
RhythmiC said:
I don't think my 4cyl has this feature... but I can't here the nox or the road cause I got the upgraded pioneers ;)
look in the headliner, there should be a couple mics in the vehicle, one above the driver and one in the rear

·
Registered
446 Posts
The ANC is only for a very low rumbling noise made by the I4 at highway speeds. It does not add any other noise reduction in any other way. The vehicle is quiet due to a lot of effort put into the build of the car by GM and sound deadening materials in the engine compartment and doors.

The low rumble noise made by the I4 is due to it's gas saving features. GM didn't like the sound either, thats why they added the ANC to the I4 versions.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just noticed the second mike on the headliner. it's a high end item that is on Acura's to keep them quiet. All I can say is my Nox is quiter the the Acura SUV I recently drove in. I don't even hear the engine running.

·
Registered
38 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
look in the headliner, there should be a couple mics in the vehicle, one above the driver and one in the rear
i thought that the mic above the driver was for the bluetooth

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When the engineers were working on the calibrations for the new 2.4-liter direct injected four cylinder engine, they were able to get some significant fuel economy improvements by lowering the idle speed and by lowering the speeds at which the torque converter locks up. Unfortunately there were some downsides. The new calibrations resulted in some very annoying low frequency (33-100 Hz) noise that would be unacceptable to most customers.

In the past, the engineers might have avoided those kinds of calibrations and just taken the hit on efficiency. This time however, they got approval to employ active noise cancellation. A pair of microphones embedded in the headliner listen for those frequencies and then generate an opposite wave sound from the audio system speakers to cancel out the offending noise. By using this technology to offset the negative NVH effects, they were able to get a one mpg improvement in economy for the four cylinder Equinox.

·
Registered
38 Posts
so is the mic for the bluetooth on the driver side in the reading light thingy?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Narg said:
The ANC is only for a very low rumbling noise made by the I4 at highway speeds. It does not add any other noise reduction in any other way. The vehicle is quiet due to a lot of effort put into the build of the car by GM and sound deadening materials in the engine compartment and doors.

The low rumble noise made by the I4 is due to it's gas saving features. GM didn't like the sound either, thats why they added the ANC to the I4 versions.
Not at freeway speeds at all, it's at low RPMs and typically city driving. ANC is there to cancel out exhaust noise at lower RPMs where 4 cylinder engines are the worst. And I think the one in our 'Nox conked out as we were hearing quite obnoxious boominess at low rpm (less than 2k) driving in the city today. If it acts up tomorrow it's a trip to the dealer.

This link gives an excellent technical explanation of how it works:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/10/active-noise-cancellation----2010-equinoxterrain.html

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tnmats said:
Not at freeway speeds at all, it's at low RPMs and typically city driving. ANC is there to cancel out exhaust noise at lower RPMs where 4 cylinder engines are the worst. And I think the one in our 'Nox conked out as we were hearing quite obnoxious boominess at low rpm (less than 2k) driving in the city today. If it acts up tomorrow it's a trip to the dealer.

This link gives an excellent technical explanation of how it works:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/10/active-noise-cancellation----2010-equinoxterrain.html

Hard to tell if it is woring or not

·
Registered
332 Posts
tnmats said:
ANC is there to cancel out exhaust noise at lower RPMs where 4 cylinder engines are the worst.
Yes! Larger 4 cyl engines (2.0L and up) tend to have an unpleasing exhaust sound at low rpm's and that's what the ANC helps eliminate inside the cabin. Actually IMO all 4 cyl. engines have an unpleasing exhaust sound at all rpm's, but then I'm biased towards the sound of V8's. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts