GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
We are new to the forum. We just picked up our new red Terrain SLT1 last night. We are loving it, especially the cool DVD screens in the back. The picture is great!
I do have a question about the ambient lighting.... I noticed that most all the Terrains (SLE2, SLT1, SLT2) comes with the ambient lighting around the radio, cup holders and door handles inside. Well all my ambient lights are on except the door handle lights. Is there a way to turn them on? I have seen pictures of the lights in the handles, or am I just seeing things? Can anyone confirm the handle lights and help me turn them on if there is lights there?

Thanks so much!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ours has the red lighting in the handles, comes on with all the other interior ambient lighting.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
According to the brochure, only the SLT-2 has ambient light in the door handles and door storage areas. IMHO the lights in these areas is a bit overrated. People who see mine only really notice the centre stack and cupholder lights.

One thing I thought was kind of funny was that the map light switches don't light up, like the dome override, sunroof switches and the rear door switch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
according to gmc.com, it only mentions the additional ambient lighting (door pulls, cupholders, etc.) for the SLT2. we have an SLT1 and i don't recall seeing as much light at night as seen in gear's photos, though i do know we have a very small red light in the cup holder area, so i'm not sure what all should apply. i did look for the door lighting when we first got it and didn't see it, so assumed it was an SLT2 feature only. i'll check again this evening though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My SLT2 has the additional lighting and IMHO it's a bit overkill and unnecessary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our SLT1 does not have door handle nor door storagelighting. I can't figure out why they have to be red lights. I would think with LED technologies today they could be changeable. I have an AutoTach speedo and tach on my hot rod Sportster and they are changeable by pressing a switch on the back. 5 backlighting colors are available. I had a hard time finding the map light switches in the dark also. Liked the raised switches on my Silverado's overhead console.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, that explains it then. Mine is a SLT1 so it probably didnt come with the lighting in the doors.
From what you guys are saying about the lighting in the doors (over-rated), Im glad I dont have it.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Chasmo you are wondering why they use red light for the accent lighting. The main reason is that the red light does not interfere with our night vision. I dabble in astronomy a bit and you only use red filtered lights and not very bright ones at that so that your dark adapted eyes are not affected by the light. But GM could just be using them because of price or looks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
341 Posts
darkside said:
Chasmo you are wondering why they use red light for the accent lighting. The main reason is that the red light does not interfere with our night vision. I dabble in astronomy a bit and you only use red filtered lights and not very bright ones at that so that your dark adapted eyes are not affected by the light. But GM could just be using them because of price or looks. Hope this helps.
does that same theory apply to the aqua blue lights found in the Nox?

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
TerrainLem said:
does that same theory apply to the aqua blue lights found in the Nox?
Nope - just red !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts