GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here so please tread lightly. I received my 2012 Terrain from a family member about a year ago, and knock on wood I haven't had many issues. I have so far replaced the battery (to be expected as it was original so it lasted 9 yrs, not too shabby!!). I have recently replaced one wheel hub assembly as the TPMS Wheel Sensor crapped out (roughly $600 CDN to fix). Just this past weekend the original alternator died, so I had it towed to a local shop, and by the time I got it back, it cost me $1,260.00 CDN. The alternator itself was $655.00 CDN (life time warranty), as the dealer listing was $619.00 CDN for a 3 yr warranty. I am just completely shocked as the replacement cost of alternator, what happened to the days of $150 !!!
I may gripe sometimes, but knock on wood it has been great so far. It's the SLT, AWD, 19" Chrome Wheels, Pioneer Sound System etc. I recently had the front windows tinted to match the back and i have also replaced to OEM Headlights, Fog Lights, license plate bulbs and interior lights with LED's

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I know your post is a little old but you need to find a new automotive repair shop.
A quick check on GM parts direct shows a new GM alternator (4 cyl or V-6) is about $250 USD plus tax and shipping.
If you are handy, an alt. swap is pretty easy.
Just some info for the future, great looking ride.

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,847 Posts
Rockauto.com. ACDelco $177, new, OEM, or $158 ACDelco ReMan (US).

I agree with @rednox301 ... find another mechanic!

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1)
55 Posts
Yep Rockauto, that's where I bought mine when it went south taking the battery with it.
It is a pain in the ash though to replace it, pretty tight area on the 3.0, but doable.
I just wish I would have replaced the oil pressure sensor while I was in there.
I didn't order it at the time because I didn't know it was behind the alt until it was removed. Doh.
And wouldn't you know it, it's leakey a little now. Double Doh.
Nice ride you have there also, love that color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts