GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Alarm/Key Fob range

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  fullcourt 
#1 ·
Is anyone else shocked at the range of the keyfob?

Seems I can unlock/lock/start/etc from a block away. Literally

:cheers:

#2 ·
I've noticed mine has quite a bit more range then my Impala had. I wonder if GM didn't design it that way because of the remote start. When my son got his Pontiac with remote start I have seen him start his from a half a block away. It would be interesting to use a range finder and see just how far the remote would work with line of sight.

#4 ·
RNOX said:
My 2000 Saturn LS1 and my old 2003 VUE both worked maybe 15 ft at the most. The Nox has a really long distance
I would have been happy with 15 feet on our 2003 Vue, seemed you need to be right on top of it to open. I opened the Nox from probably 300+ feet last night just to see if it would open. Had good line of site, but still pretty impressive. Of course with the size of the fob there may be a nuclear reactor in there powering the thing ;D

#7 ·
Terra-Nox said:
Not shocked, but it is one thng I don't like about it. I key my keys in my pocket and can't cout the number of times I have locked/unlocked/opened hatch/sounded the alarm inadvertently. Darn thing :)
Yep..I've done the same thing. Kind of a poor fob design. The buttons on my Solstice fob are slightly recessed to avoid this. I carry that fob in my pocket all the time..and it has never accidentally set anything off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.