GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fwd 4cyl SLE and my question is if I'm running the air conditioner will it cycle the compressor less if I raise the temperature on the manual control? Does it just add heat to the air conditioned air or would it increase mileage if I increase the temperature on the dial by not cycling the compressor as much?

Just curious, i do not have climate control, just the basic air conditioner.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Good question, I've always wondered that too. Anyone ?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ours really havent changed that much with the use of the A/C. The biggest hit has been from my wife idling a ton at her new job.

Last tank was 23.4 MPG (hand calculated) with usually the A/C on full ALL the time and pure city driving with little stop and go.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My AC is always on, intown stop and go very little highway, maybe 20% and the compressor constantly cycles about every 30 or 40 seconds. I average 20 mpg. I hope fpr better when I can do some higway driving.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rich said:
I have a fwd 4cyl SLE and my question is if I'm running the air conditioner will it cycle the compressor less if I raise the temperature on the manual control? Does it just add heat to the air conditioned air or would it increase mileage if I increase the temperature on the dial by not cycling the compressor as much?

Just curious, i do not have climate control, just the basic air conditioner.

Thanks,
I think it blends exterior or warm air.

GM likely uses a variable vane compressor in this vehicle, which shuts down parts of the compressor when at light load (i.e. interior is cooled off). They've used those since the 80s.

My wife was getting 24mpg in city driving before the hot season hit, get around 22-23 with AC in city driving. On the freeway, at 70mph, it seems to shave 1mpg. Not shabby.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I notice about a 1.5 - 2.5 MPG drop on City MPG with the AC on.

Usually around 22 MPG City with NO AC
With AC ON I am around 19.5 - 20.5

Havent been on the HWY yet to know what impact it has there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, it looks like changing the air conditioner control to warmer will not reduce the number of times the compressor kicks on. Sounds like it does just mix warmer air to reduce the coolness rather than limit the compressor kicking in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My last few tanks have yielded 28.0 w/heavy a/c use and mixed highway and urban driving, so I have not noticed much of a drop. I do notice that when I run a/c my DIC reading is more accurate as opposed to the usual 2-2.5 mpg to high.

·
Registered
85 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Last tank was 23.4 MPG (hand calculated) with usually the A/C on full ALL the time and pure city driving with little stop and go.
Almost identical to mine. I get about 27mpg highway and 23.x city with a/c always running and much stop and go.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am getting about 25 MPG city/highway...down about 1 MPG...Florida is brutal...The times I drive Temp is mid 90's very Humid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts