GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I installed an aftermarket Pioneer radio in my 2012 Chevy Equinox using the Metra GMOS-044 and the ASWC-1 steering wheel control kits, and the factory panel does not light up.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem? Can I bypass power to one or more of the wires on the harness that goes to the panel?

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This scares me lol
Literally looking for a double din I want to install then going to buy the kit from crutchfeild...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This scares me lol
Literally looking for a double din I want to install then going to buy the kit from crutchfeild...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I am starting to get used to it. Not having the monochrome screen working is not so bad, but not having the back lights on the A/C panel is pretty bad.

Not everyone seems to have had this problem. There is a guy on YouTube who replaced the radio and the screen worked just fine. But I can't find the answer anywhere. I even bought the Haynes manual and reviewed the wiring diagram to no avail.

All of this being said, I am still glad I replaced the radio and I love having my Pioneer radio in the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoping that someone else might be able to help, I am going to be more specific about the issue.

After installing an aftermarket radio using the GMOS-044 harness, the monochrome display does not work, and the back lighting for the a/c panel does not work.

If you press the power button or certain other buttons for the old radio, the display lights up for 2 seconds. If you move fast enough you can actually change the selection really quickly.

I checked the plugs with a voltmeter and confirmed:

- there is power going to the top plug for the display.
- there is power going to the bottom plug for the A/C controls.
- The light blue wire that according to the wiring diagram is connected to both plugs has continuity.

I also noticed that while the A/C controls will operate independently of the display, the display will not work if the a/c controls are not plugged in.

I don't know if any of this helps, but hoping someone might have experienced the same problem and figured out a solution.

Thanks!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hoping that someone else might be able to help, I am going to be more specific about the issue.

After installing an aftermarket radio using the GMOS-044 harness, the monochrome display does not work, and the back lighting for the a/c panel does not work.

If you press the power button or certain other buttons for the old radio, the display lights up for 2 seconds. If you move fast enough you can actually change the selection really quickly.

I checked the plugs with a voltmeter and confirmed:

- there is power going to the top plug for the display.
- there is power going to the bottom plug for the A/C controls.
- The light blue wire that according to the wiring diagram is connected to both plugs has continuity.

I also noticed that while the A/C controls will operate independently of the display, the display will not work if the a/c controls are not plugged in.

I don't know if any of this helps, but hoping someone might have experienced the same problem and figured out a solution.

Thanks!
Are you certain that there is not a problem with the radio or the harness you purchased? Have you contacted the selling companies and identified the issue you are having and asked their advice for resolution? I would start with those avenues rather than assuming it's an issue with the vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you certain that there is not a problem with the radio or the harness you purchased? Have you contacted the selling companies and identified the issue you are having and asked their advice for resolution? I would start with those avenues rather than assuming it's an issue with the vehicle.

Good question. I don't necessarily think it's an issue with the vehicle. I assumed something is not connected with the new harness that should be. I contacted Crutchfield and they said that as far as they know, the panel should work with the harness provided. Then I contacted Axxess, the manufacturer of the harness, and they said it's not supposed to work. So I got no where going that route.

Since I saw it work in that YouTube video which is a couple years old at this point, I thought maybe there is some way to make it work the way I want it too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Metra doesn't even list the GMOS-044 for a 'nox. Should have used the harness from the 99-3307G kit. I did not use the mounting stuff from that though, used the Scosche kit for the mounting hardware. Pioneer AVIX-8200NEX, the only thing that doesn't work is controlling the radio from the center stack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Metra doesn't even list the GMOS-044 for a 'nox. Should have used the harness from the 99-3307G kit. I did not use the mounting stuff from that though, used the Scosche kit for the mounting hardware. Pioneer AVIX-8200NEX, the only thing that doesn't work is controlling the radio from the center stack.
Really? Thank you very much for that information. I was wondering if there was a different harness I should be using. Crutchfield is the one that suggested the GMOS-044, and when I called Metra/Axxess, they said it was the right harness. I will look into the kit you mentioned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got off the phone with Metra. I got someone who is apparently more knowledgeable than the last person I spoke with. He thinks the radio needs to be re-initialized and that the Cam-Bus / BCM (if I am saying that right) is out of whack. He also said the GMOS-044 is the proper harness for the 99-3307G kit. Gave me a list of instructions to try. If it works I will post here in case anyone else needs the info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aftermarket Radio Problem SOLVED!!!

I contacted Metra twice today. The first person I spoke to told me it was most likely a CAM-BUS issue, had me reinstall the old radio, and go through a convoluted process to reset everything. This DID NOT work. :crying:

The actual problem was a grounding issue, which I suspected it might be ground related, but could not figure out how as the grounds were good. I called Metra back and this is what the 2nd person told me:

Check the ground wire coming from the 18-pin harness and make sure it is grounded TO THE RADIO. :surprise:

I had it grounded to the chassis. :rant: I moved the ground wire to the new radio, and Ta-Da, it works! I have spent 6 months reviewing the wiring diagram, calling Crutchfield and Metra, posting on this forum, and googling it like crazy, and it turns out to be as simple as moving the ground wire. I am happy it works, but almost disappointed it was this easy. :smile: :bootyshake::happy::dancing:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Congratulations on persevering to the end! It's truly a shame that the instructions with the harness were not explicit in identify where to attach the ground. When it's critical to functionality, it should be identified as such. Anyway--glad you got it working properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations on persevering to the end! It's truly a shame that the instructions with the harness were not explicit in identify where to attach the ground. When it's critical to functionality, it should be identified as such. Anyway--glad you got it working properly.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Your comment as well as the others got me to call Metra again and finally get the right answer. It's a shame the rep told me it was not supposed to work a few months ago. Thanks for the help and comments.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aftermarket Radio Problem SOLVED!!!

I contacted Metra twice today. The first person I spoke to told me it was most likely a CAM-BUS issue, had me reinstall the old radio, and go through a convoluted process to reset everything. This DID NOT work. :crying:

The actual problem was a grounding issue, which I suspected it might be ground related, but could not figure out how as the grounds were good. I called Metra back and this is what the 2nd person told me:

Check the ground wire coming from the 18-pin harness and make sure it is grounded TO THE RADIO. :surprise:

I had it grounded to the chassis. :rant: I moved the ground wire to the new radio, and Ta-Da, it works! I have spent 6 months reviewing the wiring diagram, calling Crutchfield and Metra, posting on this forum, and googling it like crazy, and it turns out to be as simple as moving the ground wire. I am happy it works, but almost disappointed it was this easy. 😄 :bootyshake::happy::dancing:
Can you by any chance show a visual or explain a little more in depth. I am currently experiencing this same issue and am having trouble understanding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts