GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone!

I purchased a 2010 Terrain SLE-2 several months ago and have loved it! My only two regrets are: 1) wish I would have sprung for the auto lift gate and 2) wish I would have added remote start.

Well, I am moving from Florida to New Jersey and really am considering adding remote start. Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket remote start units on their Terrain? The dealer put me in touch with a person who installs a unit made by Automate, but I just want to hear some opinions before I take the plunge.

Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've had aftermarket remotes on all my cars and the best one I ever had was made by AstroStart. They are a little pricey compared to the units you can buy at Best Buy stores, but you can get one with as many features as the GM remote and a lot more. Personnally I wished I had gotten the AStroStart, but that's water over the ****.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i've had many aftermarket remote starts in my slew of vehicles i've owned over the years.

what i have found is i like having everything OEM, and just working how its supposed to.

I know it doesn't have as many features as aftermarket...but there are no spliced wires, no 2nd remote, no loosing features from the factory...and it just works.

now in your case thats different because you didn't get the OEM one...and in that case i'll agree astrostart is a good option, otherwise viper is a good one as well. I've used both..and both work equally the same, but have $3-500 dollars to invest in one. Remember, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
DJ, You are absolutly correct. When I bought the Aztek, there was no OEM remote start available so aftermarket was my only option. I also didn't like having to give up one of the OEM remote door locks to be used as an interface for the remote starter. You are right about wanting to keep everything OEM. On one of my cars(I think it was the Caravan) they had a hellova time intigrating it into the system. It literally took a whole day to install because on one thing or another. That's why I told my wife the next car we buy, I'll get the OEM remote start on it. Unfortunately I do not like how this OEM transmitter works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed a Valet remote start in my 03 Silverado that uses the factory fob to start/stop
the engine. Hit the lock on the factory remote 3 times and it starts, another 3 times and
it stops. Also has a programmable run time.

I finally decided to do the install after I found this type of remote start. I didn't want to
deal with a separate remote start fob. Also the factory remote has tremendous range,
on the order of 200 yards. The truck has 2 numbered remotes and the mirror, seat, and
radio station memory settings depend on which remote you use to unlock the truck.

I was a bit confused with the wife's new Terrain that it has seat memory but you have
to use the buttons, no access using the remote. The salesman wondered why I was
asking him why the 2 fobs are not numbered.

The remote starter in the truck is the best mod I've ever done. That said it took 7 hours
to install over several days with multiple questions to the dealer I bought it from and also
access to a factory service manual to figure out the wiring. Oh, and one blown 30A main
fuse. A complete PITA to install and I swore I would never do it again. I can now appreciate
why it costs $300-$400 to have a system installed. My system cost around $100 and a lot
of swearing to get it installed. Then there is that sinking feeling when it doesn't work because
you neglected to hook up on of the safety cutoff wiring connections.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
DanY said:
I was a bit confused with the wife's new Terrain that it has seat memory but you have
to use the buttons, no access using the remote. The salesman wondered why I was
asking him why the 2 fobs are not numbered.
They are "numbered". Each remote stores a different seating/mirror position when you shut off the car. When you unlock the car with your remote, upon opening the door, the seat and mirrors will go to the last setting that was stored with that remote. If you read the Owners Manual, it is explained - not very clear, but it IS in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am kicking myself for not going with the factor RS, but I also didn't know I would be moving to New Jersey at the time I purchased.

This is way more complicated than I thought, it definitely sounds like not all systems are created equal.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually done an install in their Terrain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When asked at the dealership about having them add a remote start for me in my SLE-1, the answer I received is there was no aftermarket remote start for the Terrain yet? has anyone successfully added remote start to their SLE-1?

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi. No, I have the SRX but I was a dealer for DEI (Directed Electronics Inc) of CA, for 6 years. They WILL have one for the Terrain. They have several price points and are top-shelf quality. I like the ones that are 2-way signal and tell you it DID start, from 1500' away.....thru walls!!

will cost about $300-500 installed, depending on options. See their site to locate a Dealer Nationwide ;)
Good luck!

MM

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bought my Nox the first of March and there was not an after market remote start THEN but I stopped at the installers a couple weeks ago and he checked and said it required a $112 module AND the cost of the remote setup. Roughly $300 should do the locks and starter. I will be having it done soon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
FYI I can retrofit OEM remote start, no cutting no splicing ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
djmodifyd said:
what i have found is i like having everything OEM, and just working how its supposed to.
Also I don't know if it was the brand I was using or whatever, but on two cars I added remote start, the starter died while I owned them. On one (1995 Plyouth Acclaim) I had to replace the starter twice..hard to think I got bad starter twice. Stopped using it after that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Check with the dealer and see if they can add the OEM remote start to it. Living in Jersey you will be glad you have remote start, and its suppose to be another cold winter this year expect temps between 25-45 most of the winter, something you may not be used too living in Florida. This summer was hot too 85-90 pretty much all summer. NJ weather in a nutshell (link)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Best Buy is always advertising remote starts installed. Don't know how good they are, but they're cheap.

·
Registered
378 Posts
GARYD said:
Best Buy is always advertising remote starts installed. Don't know how good they are, but they're cheap.
I would NOT trust them with any car, let a lone a great almost new car like Equinox. DO NOT do it there!

·
Registered
830 Posts
They are doing a good job.

georgi55 said:
I would NOT trust them with any car, let a lone a great almost new car like Equinox. DO NOT do it there!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Why do you say don't go to Best Buy? Did you get screwed by them?....once...twice....3 times?
I know lots of people that have had radios and remotes put in and have had no problems from Best Buy. I know of a high end installer that has had a few problems, including me. You can't lump all shops as bad because of one place or one employee or a report from someones brothers best friends cousins babysitter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
GARYD said:
Why do you say don't go to Best Buy? Did you get screwed by them?....once...twice....3 times?
I know lots of people that have had radios and remotes put in and have had no problems from Best Buy. I know of a high end installer that has had a few problems, including me. You can't lump all shops as bad because of one place or one employee or a report from someones brothers best friends cousins babysitter.
Had my corolla's dash scratched and went through hell trying to get it fixed. I didn't really care, but they tried to hide it by rubbing some kind of nasty solution too which is what pissed me off and prompted me to complain. In the end got compensated for installation charge.

That was old car, and again I didn't care. Imagine having that done to a brand new equinox...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
But that can happen anywhere, not just Best Buy.
I have a great indy that I take all my cars to...honest and trustworthy. One time one of his mechanics scratched a rear quarter panel. Wasn't too bad, but they payed for the repair. There is no way I would tell people not to go there because of that accident.
Now if 15 or 20 people told the same experience, then by all means tell people to stay away.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts