GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Aftermarket muffler

39K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  dwendt44 
#1 ·
What muffler recommendations do you have? I hate the huge stock muffler just hanging down in the rear, so I want something that will look good, but also sound good too. Any thoughts? And also: would it hurt to ditch the resonator and straight pipe that section?

#2 ·
im in the same boat.....waiting for my bonus from work before i swap out the huge muffler....ill be going with a black flowmaster...probably a 40 series delta flow, smallest footprint i can find.....ideally i want one small enough to go straight out the back...less bends the better.....and sure you can remove the resonator.....removing that alone might give you the sound your looking for.....but im getting the muffler outta there....wayyy to big...like a bimmer muffler...

#3 ·
I like the straight out the rear idea. I want to remove the resonator for 1) because its lame and messes with flow, and 2) because it has a huge ding in it from the previous owner trying to drive over a curb or something. I like the straight out the back idea...not bad!

#9 ·
The stock muffler sounds nice on the cobalt SS/TC, not sure what it would sound like on the I4 in the Terrain but it might be something I will try if I can find a takeoff.

#10 ·
NoobNox said:
Is there a low restriction muffler for a 4cyl that doesn't sound like a ricemobile?
my mazda with an HKS hipower exhaust sounded nice.....most cars you hear on the road are 1.6l hondas with ebay exhausts....

#11 ·
Z_Ghost said:
The stock muffler sounds nice on the cobalt SS/TC, not sure what it would sound like on the I4 in the Terrain but it might be something I will try if I can find a takeoff.
it sounds that way cause of the FI on the SS

#12 ·
as far as exhaust goes on the nox, the only thing i don't like is the rinky dink tip that hangs down... if you all are looking for quality, non ricey, exhaust, w/o it being stupid loud, leave the resonator alone, and change out the muffler w/ a CHAMBERED non straight thru exhaust... i4 or v6, it's not gonna grumble too hard... i can see the i4's sounding very raspy and fart canish...

stock exhaust on the ss/tc is not bad... it doesn't drone, and has a nice mellow tone to it bc the turbo. ( i have one) i opted for a 3" down pipe w/ no cat, and the hahn 3" catback system, and i couldn't be happier... it has a nice mellow tone, no rasp, no fart can tin sound...

#14 ·
Z_Ghost said:
Well the terrain is DI FI too.
;D

And I know tha the turbo helps with the sound. :p
ummmm there is not a FI terrain.... (forced induction)

i know its fuel injected, find me a car built in the last 10(20 even) years not fuel injected.....

im 28....FI to me means forced induction....FI to some old school muscle guys means fuel injection....but as i metnioned, all cars now are fuel injected, so in my mind FI now is forced induction seeing at injection is just common practice...

#16 ·
gar187er said:

i know its fuel injected, find me a car built in the last 10(20 even) years not fuel injected.....

im 28....FI to me means forced induction....FI to some old school muscle guys means fuel injection....but as i metnioned, all cars now are fuel injected, so in my mind FI now is forced induction seeing at injection is just common practice...

Being in a third gen camaro I have a lot of friends that are in their 20's (OK I'm 50) and I asked them what FI means to them and they all said fuel injected.
:eek:

#17 ·
ok...maybe its cause i am into the import scene.....

maybe ask them what FI on a cobalt SS was we were talking about.... ::)

#18 ·
Well just to clarify, the Terrain is not fuel injected either. :)
Fuel injected vehicles have the fuel introduced to the air for mixing prior to entering the cylinder head/combustion chamber.
Direct injection the fuel is introduced directly into the cylinder head/combustion chamber where it then mixes with the air to ignite. It by-passes the intake plenum. [ intake manifold for us 'old school' gear heads 8)]

And I would agree that, FI today would emphasize forced induction over N/A [naturally aspirated]

What I would like to know is; perhaps a new thread may be in order.

Has anyone removed the third 'CAT' along with the resonator while keeping the OEM muffler??? What's the sound like?? I'm thinking a little louder, for the V-6's anyways, and possibly a little deeper throat to it. Hopefully no drone though.

gar187er said:

#20 ·
gar187er said:

Its DI ...direct injection

#22 ·
Direct injection is a form of fuel injection....as opposed to being carbed....

TBI
MPFI
SFI
DI (in different terms, DISI, SIDI, GTDI)
they are all fuel injection methods....just being injected in different way...

this is stemming from the comment from Z_Ghost

Well the terrain is DI FI too.
Grin

And I know tha the turbo helps with the sound. Tongue
which was in response to my comment about the cobalt ss being FI (forced)

i fail to see what people are arguing about seeing as i know what FI is in both versions of the acronym..

#23 ·
You forgot one of the greats!!! gar187er...
TPI [Tuned Port Injection]
As in a 1987 Pontiac GTA Trans Am - God I miss that car, especially the 'bubbled' intake manifold on the old 350, Man that was sweet!

I don't think anyone here is arguing per say and most certainly doubting your intelligence- we're just simply having a lovely conversation!! ;)

gar187er said:
Direct injection is a form of fuel injection....as opposed to being carbed....

TBI
MPFI
SFI
DI (in different terms, DISI, SIDI, GTDI)
they are all fuel injection methods....just being injected in different way...

this is stemming from the comment from Z_Ghost

which was in response to my comment about the cobalt ss being FI (forced)

i fail to see what people are arguing about seeing as i know what FI is in both versions of the acronym..

#26 ·
Aww nice!! and brave too I might add. Would love to hear a sound clip when your are done. :eek:
Is this on the V-6?
I am going to do my exhaust as well, just can't make up my mind and which way to do it.
But I agree the secondary CAT has to go along with the resonator.

SSEquinox said:
Im pulling the stock muffler and cat...installing a magnaflow in place of the CAT and no mufflers just straight pipes out the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.