GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been kicked around alot but Im hoping for some good news this time. The local car center said they would have a module that would be compatible with the 2010 Equinox ignition systems shortly. Well they called today and said it was in so off I went. They ask me for the spare key and I ask why. They said it had to be left in the car (in the module) so the module could work. I said my wife would no longer have a key and they said for another $150 the could get another fob, program it and then have a key ground. My idea of a $300 remote start now is closer to $500 and thats just for basic start/locks and tailgate. I passed on it. Hope there is a less expensive option out there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TerryG said:
They ask me for the spare key and I ask why. They said it had to be left in the car (in the module) so the module could work.
Does that mean the immobilized has been defeated? If they're permanently installing the RFID chip (inside the key) along with a reader in their module, can I hot-wire their module and drive away? How much faster is that than bypassing the immobilized altogether?

Please don't answer the last two, I don't want to know. :)

Regarding the key, I believe someone (was it SuperMat64?) bought one off of eBay, had someone cut it for him and then reprogrammed it himself, all in all about 90 dollars I believe. He posted the programming procedure too IIRC

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
TerryG said:
This has been kicked around alot but Im hoping for some good news this time. The local car center said they would have a module that would be compatible with the 2010 Equinox ignition systems shortly. Well they called today and said it was in so off I went. They ask me for the spare key and I ask why. They said it had to be left in the car (in the module) so the module could work. I said my wife would no longer have a key and they said for another $150 the could get another fob, program it and then have a key ground. My idea of a $300 remote start now is closer to $500 and thats just for basic start/locks and tailgate. I passed on it. Hope there is a less expensive option out there.
Why would they have to make a key? It's not going into any cylinder to unlock anything they only need the chip thats in the fob I would think

·
Registered
119 Posts
They need the key in order to be able to start the engine.
(they wire the key into the bypass so the chip is there and the engine will start)
If I remember correctly that's how it works.
If you do this if you ever need a new key made you will need to remove the key from the by pass so it could be programed correctly, though you might not need the chip in order to start the car once the by pass is in

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
On my Aztek with an aftermarket remote, I had to give them the key also. Thankfully I never lost the remaining key. I was and am a cheap SOB and don't want to spend that kind of money for another key. Hope my luck continues. ;D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought an additional FOB key for our Terrain from the dealer for $51.00 including lazer cut. They had it cut based on the VIN number.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My uncle does all kind of installs and he has yet to touch a 'Nox/Terrain because, in his words, "They are a complete PITA and until a company makes a complete module that doesnt have me cut and splice wires, I wont do it."

·
Registered
193 Posts
bballr4567 said:
My uncle does all kind of installs and he has yet to touch a 'Nox/Terrain because, in his words, "They are a complete PITA and until a company makes a complete module that doesnt have me cut and splice wires, I wont do it."
Your Uncle is a very wise man. These types of installs never turn out well!

·
Registered
170 Posts
dishdude said:
Your Uncle is a very wise man. These types of installs never turn out well!
+1
The problem is there are hundreds or thousands of fools who will butcher the wiring then the vehicle has all possible problems and they blame it on the "GM".

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its in and working GREAT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts