GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

After market fog lights on 2016 SRX

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  drprinter 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 SRX that I had aftermarket fog lights installed on. For almost a year the fog lights worked fine. But then the drivers side went out and eventually the passenger side went out. I took my SRX back to the shop where I had the fog lights installed and they ran some test and initially it looked as though the fuse was the issue. So, they replaced the fuse. For a couple of days my fog lights worked fine. But, they went out again. So, back to the shop I go. They eventually came up to the conclusion that the ballast needed to be replaced. Which they ordered and later installed. Once again the lights are back to working. Almost a week later the drivers side has gone out. The passenger side is still working. But I suspect it will eventually go out.

So here's what was installed:
10-16 Cadillac SRX OEM Style Fog Lights w/ Universal Switch - Clear (Pair) + HID Xenon Lights Kit Package

At the same time I also the following headlights installed:
09-16 Cadillac SRX Halo LED Projector Headlights(Halogen model only) - Chrome (Pair)

I wanted to have the interior switched replaced with one that had a fog light selection, but the shop guy told me that my SRX didn't come prewired to add fog lights afterwards. So, they connected the fog lights to come on with the headlights.

I know nothing about wiring these lights, power requirements etc. So, I'm at a lost as to what is causing the fog lights to not work. The shop said they probably won't do any additional work on them because I purchased the lights myself online. The headlights are working perfectly and I love the halo lighting that surrounds them. But those fog lights keep giving me trouble.

Can anyone give me in layman terms a reason why the fog lights stop working and what can be done to fix the issue?

See less See more
#2 ·
If someone gives you advice, will you follow their advice and fix them yourself ? If not, then what will you do with the advice ? Reason I ask, if you go to a repair shop, and tell them that a person on the Internet told me that this is the problem, they will likely tell you to get lost. You either have to bring it to a shop, and pay them to fix it by their method, or fix it yourself, or do without them. I doubt if anyone on this forum will be able to "fix" them for you without working on your car them self.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: bigb12359
#3 ·
Isn't one of the purposes of this site to share experiences that might help others with similar issues that they've not been able to resolve? I'm looking to see if anyone had a similar experience and if so what was done to fix it. It may or may not work on my vehicle. If I get advice that I can follow myself, I'd gladly attempt to fix my issue. But, I'm just trying to understand what the possible causes are to my issue with my fog lights so that I can have a better understanding of why they are doing what I described. Is there an issue with doing that?

Oh, and the owner of the shop that I used to install my lights would gladly welcome hearing what others may have done to fix this problem because he's baffled by the issue. He's actually researching it as well.

If you have nothing to share regarding the issue, why reply?

Refunding your $0.02.

#4 · (Edited)
If you have nothing to share regarding the issue, why reply?

Refunding your $0.02.

Thanks - So, in the last month, did you find out anything regarding your issue that you can share with others to help if they have a similar problem ?

#5 · (Edited)
I'm not familiar with the SRX or any unique electrical circuitry that differs from my 2018 LT Equinox. That said, I added the factory fog light assemblies used on the Premier model. I made up my own harness using dephi connectors as per factory harnesses and used two relays, one, (normally closed),triggered by the low beam circuit to turn the fogs on, and the second relay is, (normally open), triggered by the high beam circuit to turn them off when high beams are used. I used a small switch, with an LED indicater light, inserted into the lower dash that interups the low beam trigger wire when I don't want them on. Power to the relays is fused. This setup has worked perfectly for more than a year.
Not for the faint of heart but I enjoy this kind of project and go to some effort to do it the way the factory would have.
I doubt this will help but it is an option that is proven and reliable and this $.02 is legal tender!
Howard

#6 · (Edited)
ok here's what I would do... Get a electrical clamp meter and check the amperage that each light is using(should be almost equal readings) and the total amperage both lights are using. Next I would take voltage readings at the fuse and at the ballast to see if you have a voltage drop between the two points. Run the lights for a while and see if either the wires, connectors or switch are getting warm. Double check if you are using the right size fuse by, if you can, contacting the manufacture and as long as you have him on the phone (email, text etc) ask him for any ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.