GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In searching for accessories for my 2012 terrain I came across a site for aftermarket chips that say they boost the mpg by 4-7 and add hp. I believe it was gfchips. Anyone try these?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dd.
It sounds like snake oil to me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have seen some of these chips, especially on Ebay..usually just a couple resistors tied together..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There is no "chip" to replace...they're probably talking about an ECM reprogramming. In any case, if it was just a matter of a magical combinations of 1's and 0's.....GM engineers would have done it from the start to gain additional EPA numbers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not to disagree but I had a Trifecta Tune done on my 06 HHR which recalibrated the Engine & Transmission, What a differance, much faster,more torgue & increased gas mileage to 1 1/2 to 2 mpg
To give you an example we have a Bridge called the Skyway Bridge down here in Florida, approaching the Bridge going 70 mph after about half way up the Bridge the HHR would down shift a gear to maintain 70mph, After I had the Trifecta tune done I did the same thing to see if there was any differance and there was the HHR did NOT drop a gear stayed at 70 mph the whole time, Also could tell the differance when I ran the Tail of the Dragon in Tenn & N.Carolina going thru the Mountain curves. :thumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: After market chips, better fuel mileage?

I did some more research and I would also say bs. Apparently it just tricks the cat into thinking the air coming in is cooler. There maybe something in programming but this doesn't do that.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
NoobNox said:
There is no "chip" to replace...they're probably talking about an ECM reprogramming. In any case, if it was just a matter of a magical combinations of 1's and 0's.....GM engineers would have done it from the start to gain additional EPA numbers.
I would say the 'chip' is simply a 'trick' so don't waste your money on that Dd.

However, an ECM reflash tune is what you need to do. Plenty of those Shops around, trick is to find one that has done one or multiples before on these platforms, so that you don't have to dyno your vehicle, experienced shops should have off the shelf tunes available. Or a Trifecta Tune that was previously mentioned.

IMO it will be awhile yet before GM engineers de-tune their own ECM's, they know how, they just won't do it. Seems they like to run their engines on the richer side, (significantly richer) perhaps for warrenty or whatever their reasons are.

Regardless, there is plenty of room for improvement which is why Tuners do this, you will feel a difference.

Once I have a few more miles on POLRCUB Wester's Garage is getting another phone call.
He does all our vehicles for us, the man's a genius :thumb:[/color]

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Don 1948 said:
The Trifecta tune doesn't use a chip, It's downloaded thru the ECM.
Before you say bs you might want to look it up and get the info.
Don I think maybe Dd was calling BS on his own original post regarding the gfchips not your Trifecta tune.
As a 'newbie' perhaps he/she hasn't got the quote option figured yet,
Just a thought, ;)[/color]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: After market chips, better fuel mileage?

Sorry I was calling bs on my original post. :D

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I work with most of the major MFG of programers, chips and modules.

Here is the low down. Chips are pretty much for the OBD 1 cars. Todays OBD 2 cars need programers or moduels. The computer in our vehicles has a flash memeory and it need a programer or a program down loaded to adjust the vehicle. Module also will modifiy signals to the computer.

The reality few of these will gain much in MPG. While some may have a small gain few see much more. The claim here is a little over the top.

As for power some vehicles can see large gains while some see small gains. It just depends on the vehicle and drive line. Turbo vehicles gas and diesel can see large gains as they play with the boost. Other vehivcles see smaller gains.

The best thing you can do for MPG with out going into an engine is a full air intake and an exhaust. I have seen cold air intake from KNN add 1 MPG on my own vehicles. That may not seem large but it is for such a small change. Be away depending on the system you are replacing your results may vary.

The fact is air intakes are restrictive due to drive by sound regs by the goverment. The KNN system do not have to meet these. They are louder like an old 4 barrel carb but they do flow easier and aid in increased power and MPG to a limited degree.

Either way there is no magic bullet out there.

I see many people waste a lot of money of some of the gimicks out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts