GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, over the past couple weeks we have traveled in our 4 cylinder Terrain from NJ to SC to FL. Here in FL I have done a lot of local driving (shopping to fill a newly purchased condo). There is a lot to love. But to keep this short, there is one major disapointment and one issue that I should have expected.

First of all, my gas milage and tank range is much lower than expected. Yes I drive 5 miles over the limit, so when I can do 70 mph on I-90, I do 75. The same trip that we have done numerious times in our 6 cylinder Grand Prix in less than two tanks of gas, the Terrain needed more than two tanks.

The second bump in the road is how under powered the vehicle is. In local traffic, from a stop light I feel like I need to get out and push to help get going (and I am gentle on the gas pedal). But it is a big vehicle with a small engine. Duh..... I have not had the AC on, but if it takes much power I'm going to always have to stay in the slow lane......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The speed is what is killing you. Go 70 and you will get better.

Plus, the DI engines take about 10k miles to break in and get good gas mileage. The first Di 3.6 in the CTS had people complaining about it at first as well. Just a thing with the new DI engines.

Also, yes, its a small engine in a big vehicle. Give it more gas to get going and youd be surprised because your MPG wont suffer as much as you think.

BTW, what are getting for MPG? Are you using the DIC or hand calculating it?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
tmozer said:
OK, over the past couple weeks we have traveled in our 4 cylinder Terrain from NJ to SC to FL. Here in FL I have done a lot of local driving (shopping to fill a newly purchased condo). There is a lot to love. But to keep this short, there is one major disapointment and one issue that I should have expected.

First of all, my gas milage and tank range is much lower than expected. Yes I drive 5 miles over the limit, so when I can do 70 mph on I-90, I do 75. The same trip that we have done numerious times in our 6 cylinder Grand Prix in less than two tanks of gas, the Terrain needed more than two tanks.

The second bump in the road is how under powered the vehicle is. In local traffic, from a stop light I feel like I need to get out and push to help get going (and I am gentle on the gas pedal). But it is a big vehicle with a small engine. Duh..... I have not had the AC on[/color], but if it takes much power I'm going to always have to stay in the slow lane......
We've been told the A/C is year round to control humidity when your Climate Control is on Auto.
It should come on automatically, look for the indicator light to be on and don't worry about it just leave it on unless you want manual control.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am getting 420 miles per 16 gallon in mixed traffic (18 city/26 highway daily commute) so i only expect it to go up from here. The power is a bit down but my last vehicle had 380 and this 180 so it is to be expected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts